Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

What is dead may never die. s2e3

Sundays 9/8c on HBO
wags83

What is dead may never die. s2e3

Postby wags83 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:18 pm

This show is so awesome. However, it is getting a little bit difficult keeping all different storylines straight.

Will someone else start watching this show so I can talk about it with them?
Madman999

Re: What is dead may never die. s2e3

Postby Madman999 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm

I read all 5 books.

The words you are referencing are the words of the followers of the drowned god of the iron men of the iron Isles.

From what I recall, Their ritual for baptizing converts is to literally drown them in water and then resuscitate them. This effectively kills them and they are reborn or atleast feel they are stronger and invulnerable. So the saying is something like what is once dead cannot die. Not entirely sure if it's accurate.

Sent from my Htc Incredible via tapatalk....
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:39 pm

You're probably right. I'm just starting to read them. I'm about 1/3 of the way through the first book. I put it there because it's the name of the episode. Though, in the show, Theon Greyjoy was baptized but they didn't actually drown him. They just took him out to the sea and poured water over him.
Madman999

Postby Madman999 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:14 pm

There is a bit that won't make it into the tv show. There is just too much. Too bad but only so much can be done in 10 episodes. The game of thrones universe is huge with alot of material.

What is don't like is that they added some stuff that is not in the book-like the homosexual relationship between renley and loras. That's both unnecessary and inaccurate. But I guess they want to put some lewd stuff in there to keep it entertaining in a low brow way.

wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:34 pm

Madman999 wrote:What is don't like is that they added some stuff that is not in the book-like the homosexual relationship between renley and loras. That's both unnecessary and inaccurate. But I guess they want to put some lewd stuff in there to keep it entertaining in a low brow way.

Interesting, I never knew that. I assumed it was in the book if it was in the show. That is a bit unnecessary.
Madman999

Postby Madman999 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:21 pm

We agree about 1 thing, game of thrones us pretty good!

Books 2 and 3 have alot of action and material.

arwagner

Postby arwagner » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:36 pm

Gotta say, I was a little confused by last night's episode, just at the end when the lady was pregnant or whatever, I just didn't really understand what was going on except that she was pregnant. Could be because I was watching it on a really choppy video connection and I might have missed something, but I still don't get it.
Madman999

Postby Madman999 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:51 pm

Haven't seen episode 4 yet but I think I know what you are referring to.

The lady who is pregnant is the red haired sorceress lady Melisandre. She is giving "birth" to a dark shadow version of Stanis who can slip into the tent unseen and assasinate Renley. Hope I didn't spoil it.

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:57 pm

Just watched this episode. I have about the same opinion as everyone that things are getting more confusing. There are easily 10+ stories going on. Some are simple to follow but others are just thrown at you. I'm horrible with character names so its even more difficult.

So now that Joffrey is king there are a lot of other people calling themselves king and they are all going to eventually battle for the throne?

And the gay guy that isn't in the book. That's the dead kings brother...right? Why does he have to knock up that lady? Who is she exactly?
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:28 pm

Well Renly is in the book but it doesn't come right out and say he's gay. Though it does allude to it a bit. The chick is his wife who is from another important family. She wants to get knocked up to get rid of rumors that he's gay and to also make sure their marriage is legit.

As for all the kings, basically everyone heard Joffrey is an illegitimate child born of incest so they're claiming the throne for themselves. Ron Stark just wants to be king in the north. Stannis has a legitimate claim. And Renly just thinks he's a better king than stannis.

Return to “Game of Thrones”