Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

ASOIAF - Book vs. Show Differences *SPOILERS*

Sundays 9/8c on HBO
itscsalvo

ASOIAF - Book vs. Show Differences *SPOILERS*

Postby itscsalvo » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:51 pm

So I'm listening to the audio books for ASOIAF and I just wrapped up A Feast For Crows yesterday (Book 4) and I'm starting A Dance With Dragons (Book 5) today. I'm kind of surprised how many differences there are from the book to the show, and I know they did a lot of them to make sure there weren't SO many extra cast members.

Brienne's story is interesting to me, and it ended up being very different than in the books. I'm wondering how they'll continue that into the next season and bring in the Lady. Especially since there really hasn't been any mention of outlaws in the show.

Thoughts?
wags83

Re: ASOIAF - Book vs. Show Differences *SPOILERS*

Postby wags83 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:43 pm

I've also read the books and. There are definitely a lot of missing characters in the show. They would need to do a lot more episodes in a season if they wanted to get all the book storylines included. You'll find some even bigger differences in the next book especially when it comes to the story arcs in Essos and Dorne.
itscsalvo

Postby itscsalvo » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:06 am

I'm excited to get to that point. This is maybe the longest book so far. Aside from Brienne's story, there's so many differences everywhere. Tyrion's escape, Sansa's story with Little Finger is pretty different, Samwell's hasn't happened yet in the show, but its still different due to Maester Aemon, etc.

I do agree that they'd need a lot more episodes, strictly to introduce the additional characters, and I think if they would have done that, the show could be very stale. It's good to see how creative the show staff is, still hitting all the main points by using existing characters.

I think reading the books has only piqued my interest in the show further, not because I have more background information, but I'm interesting in seeing how the show will handle these situations without those characters.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:11 pm

George RR Martin: Game of Thrones twist will appear in books, not TV show
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/f ... ot-tv-show
The Song of Ice and Fire novelist says the delayed sixth novel in his fantasy sequence will feature character who has been killed off in the TV adaptation
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:14 pm

My guess is the Hound.
itscsalvo

Postby itscsalvo » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:50 pm

Do they mean "confirmed" killed off? We never saw the Hound die in the TV series. Or I wonder if it's just referring to Lady Stoneheart?

Return to “Game of Thrones”