Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

GoT s06e09

Sundays 9/8c on HBO
Tyler
Owner

GoT s06e09

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:07 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post If someone was going to shoot me with an arrow I would be doing a lot of zig zags.

Wow Tyler, you are so stupid. It wouldn't have mattered if Rickon was running a different pattern, he would have died regardless. Ramsey wanted John to get to Rickon because it put him inside of the archers' range. As soon as John would have grabbed his brother the shower of arrows would have rained down and gotten him.
CrckrJack

GoT s06e09

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:21 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post If someone was going to shoot me with an arrow I would be doing a lot of zig zags.

Wow Tyler, you are so stupid. It wouldn't have mattered if Rickon was running a different pattern, he would have died regardless. Ramsey wanted John to get to Rickon because it put him inside of the archers' range. As soon as John would have grabbed his brother the shower of arrows would have rained down and gotten him.

But that's not what happened at all. Jon literally stood there for at least 30 seconds (maybe actually 15? but regardless less time than it takes an arrow to get there). I agree that this is what SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED, but for the sake of TV it didn't.
Tyler
Owner

GoT s06e09

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:30 pm

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post But that's not what happened at all. Jon literally stood there for at least 30 seconds (maybe actually 15? but regardless less time than it takes an arrow to get there). I agree that this is what SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED, but for the sake of TV it didn't.

I'll have to watch the scene again, but I think Ramsey was waiting to see what Jon did after his brother was just killed in front of him. Ramsey gets off on people suffering, it wouldn't be fun for him to kill Rickon and then immediately order all of the archers to shoot Jon. There was that pause because Ramsey wanted to gloat and see if Jon was going to charge him or turn around to regroup with his troops. The point I was making was if Jon did somehow manage to get Rickon on the horse with him, then there would have been no pause before the order from Ramsey, and the arrows would have been landing on them before they could even turn the horse around.
CrckrJack

GoT s06e09

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:41 pm

I'll have to watch the scene again, but I think Ramsey was waiting to see what Jon did after his brother was just killed in front of him. Ramsey gets off on people suffering, it wouldn't be fun for him to kill Rickon and then immediately order all of the archers to shoot Jon. There was that pause because Ramsey wanted to gloat and see if Jon was going to charge him or turn around to regroup with his troops. The point I was making was if Jon did somehow manage to get Rickon on the horse with him, then there would have been no pause before the order from Ramsey, and the arrows would have been landing on them before they could even turn the horse around.

Ramsey could have easily killed Jon with a hail of arrows before Ramsey cavalry got there (the timing of the scene is awful, because the time between shots is very short from the last miss to the hit, which could be Ramsey just finally getting his shit together and being the archer that he is, or TV editing). I was very surprised that Ramsey didn't take shots at Jon.

If I had the opportunity to kill the leader of the opposition with a single arrow or a volley of arrows, I would take it (and you would think Ramsey would too, since honor really isn't his thing [not very honorable to kill a leader with a volley of arrows]). This entire battle was Ramsey's to win. Everything was in his favor. He made a ridiculous amount of mistakes that cost him everything.
Tyler
Owner

GoT s06e09

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:46 pm

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post This entire battle was Ramsey's to win. Everything was in his favor. He made a ridiculous amount of mistakes that cost him everything.

Agreed, he took way too many risks, but he would have still easily won if it wasn't for the Knights of the Vial showing up - that is something he couldn't have planned for.

TL;DR of this episode.
Jon should have lost because he was too emotional. Ramsey could have easily won if he was strategic and defended vs making it so personal and attacking. Sansa should have told Jon she wrote to Littlefinger.
CrckrJack

GoT s06e09

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:53 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the postAgreed, he took way too many risks, but he would have still easily won if it wasn't for the Knights of the Vial showing up - that is something he couldn't have planned for.

That is probably true.
Tyler wrote:Source of the postSansa should have told Jon she wrote to Littlefinger.

Also I lol'd in the tent scene with her and Jon.
"WHY DON'T YOU ASK ME HOW TO HELP YOU BEAT RAMSAY, JON!?!?!?" -sansa
"Okay how do I beat him?" -jon
"I DON'T KNOW!!!" -sansa
Tyler
Owner

GoT s06e09

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:01 pm

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Also I lol'd in the tent scene with her and Jon.
"WHY DON'T YOU ASK ME HOW TO HELP YOU BEAT RAMSAY, JON!?!?!?" -sansa
"Okay how do I beat him?" -jon
"I DON'T KNOW!!!" -sansa

Haha. That was frustrating because Sansa knew Jon was walking right into his trap, but she had no other plan to offer him (other than saying she wrote to Littlefinger. d'oh!). She knew for a fact that Rickon would be used as bait and would be killed before Jon could save him.
CrckrJack

GoT s06e09

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:02 pm

And in the end there was no trap.
Tyler
Owner

GoT s06e09

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:09 pm

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post And in the end there was no trap.

Remember that time Jon and his men set up trenches and abandoned them, only to find themselves surrounded by Ramsey's army who were armed with shields and spears and they could do nothing to stop them from closing in on them 1 step at a time?

I would call that a trap.
CrckrJack

GoT s06e09

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:15 pm

I wouldn't call that a trap. I would call that a war strategy. It just so happened that there was a huge mountain of bodies and they could surround them.

In that same context you could say that Jon trapped them into opening their flank and so that the Veil could ride in and destroy them from the backside.

A trap is like when Team rocket digs a hole and covers it with grass and then Ash falls into it.
wags83

GoT s06e09

Postby wags83 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:55 pm

Just watched and aside from Ramsay being really dumb, it was an awesome episode. The production value of the battle was as good as any movie (reminded me of LotR). I was worried that Tormund was going to die and I'm really glad he didn't. Sad that another Stark is dead but luckily Rickon has had a total of 2 lines in the entire series so I didn't feel any attachment. I do really like how they killed Ramsay, I think that's even better than either Jon or Sansa killing him.

Really cool to finally see the dragons get into the action. I enjoyed Danaerys and Yara/Asha's conversation #girlpower
itscsalvo

GoT s06e09

Postby itscsalvo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:06 pm

Finally watched the episode tonight. I really enjoyed it. I remember hearing in the show (or the book, since I did the audio books) that bastards are passionate, hot-blooded or something similar.

We saw Jon get lost in his rage and grief, and Ramsay get lost within his cockiness and arrogance. But in the end, we finally saw Jon pull back when he stopped beating the fuck out of Ramsay's face.

Also, I would have at least tried to zig or zag.
wags83

GoT s06e09

Postby wags83 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:01 am

Saw this and enjoyed it Image
Blue Jackets

GoT s06e09

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:18 am

‘Game of Thrones’ Visual Effects: Inside ‘The Battle of the Bastards’
http://variety.com/video/game-of-throne ... l-effects/

The video on this page is neat
Watson2000

GoT s06e09

Postby Watson2000 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:46 am

I just thought it was alright. 7/10 I guess.

The fight scenes were good, right up there with Braveheart.

I'm happy that Ramsey is gone...he was getting tiring.

Sansa not opening her mouth about writing the letter to Little Finger, stupid. If I was a survivor and found out, I wouldn't trust her to lead me anywhere.

The tactics (besides Jon's obvious blunder) were very odd. It was just a head on rush at each other? (Yes, I realize Jon is crazed, and Ramsey is more a psycho, but someone should of thought about keeping reserves, flanking, etc.) And you don't send your archers into melee, they're trained to shoot, not fight hand to hand. Just odd stuff.

The last half of the battle was too long. I realize they were trying to show the desperation and loss of hope, but we all knew Little Finger was coming. I started playing with my phone, as I got bored watching the wall of shields circle come closer and closer.

Not sure how those archers didn't shoot Ramsey when he was shooting at Jon. Guess they have more restraint than Jon did...
CrckrJack

GoT s06e09

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:51 am

Watson2000 wrote:Source of the postNot sure how those archers didn't shoot Ramsey when he was shooting at Jon. Guess they have more restraint than Jon did...

Oh yeah this for sure brought me out of the show again, because those archers would have lit him the eff up in real life.
Tyler
Owner

GoT s06e09

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:57 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post
Watson2000 wrote:Source of the postNot sure how those archers didn't shoot Ramsey when he was shooting at Jon. Guess they have more restraint than Jon did...

Oh yeah this for sure brought me out of the show again, because those archers would have lit him the eff up in real life.

I guess they could see that Jon wanted to finish this himself. They didn't want to rob a man of justice when his brother was just killed in front of him. I imagine if it looked like Jon was going to lose to Ramsey 1v1 they would have stepped in.
CrckrJack

GoT s06e09

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:58 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post

I guess they could see that Jon wanted to finish this himself. They didn't want to rob a man of justice when his brother was just killed in front of him. I imagine if it looked like Jon was going to lose to Ramsey 1v1 they would have stepped in.

He could have gotten hit by that first arrow in the face and would have been dead.
Tyler
Owner

GoT s06e09

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:59 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post He could have gotten hit by that first arrow in the face and would have been dead.

He was brought back from the dead, his men knew he had plot armor at least until Ramsey was dead.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

GoT s06e09

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:00 am

Can we talk about how bad this episode was? Everyone seems to be so engrossed in the fact that it was bloody and high budget to realize how terrible it actually was.

This honestly reminded me of an episode of the 100. A bunch of whining back and forth between the main characters per war strategy. Everything is decided. Convenient plot device located in the middle of nowhere. SOMETHING UNEXPECTED!!! THE PLAN IS FALLING APART BECAUSE THE MAIN CHARACTER CANT HANDLE IT EVEN THOUGH HE EXPECTED IT ACTUALLY!!!!!

If my leader charged in the middle of a field to attack a superior army when he had prepped all of us to wait for them to charge, I would've left his ass to die. What a stupid thing for a typically calm and patient person.

Okay, we have the dumb as horse charge, and Ramsey decides to kill most of his own horses, arguably his biggest weapon. Okay, maybe his mistake will help. NOPE!!! Let's all charge the people in full body armor and 50 pound shields, and even though we are faster in every way, lets let them surround us. BTW, the battle was over here, but for some reason they just stopped pushing forward? Terrible.

Oh my gosh, Gandalf, err I mean the Lord of the Vail army is here to save the day and easily surround the forces in eight seconds!!!

What a cop out, cliche'd ending. No battle tactics, just two dickheads charging each other like idiots and it happened to work out

Return to “Game of Thrones”