Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

GoT - s07e06

Sundays 9/8c on HBO
purple_hayes

GoT - s07e06

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:49 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Who was dragging that??? and why?

And who scuba dove down to the bottom of the lake to hook up the chains to the dragon?

Surprisingly, i know we're joking, but this is the MOST believable portion of it. I could absolutely see a bunch of bones diving to the bottom of the lake and sacrificing themselves to get a dragon.

You did notice that they weren't all a bunch of bones... right. They are in several states of decay. Bran can pull all the dead as he marches south, from the old boney ones to the new fresh ones. Bran is cool like that.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

GoT - s07e06

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:51 pm

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Who was dragging that??? and why?

And who scuba dove down to the bottom of the lake to hook up the chains to the dragon?

Surprisingly, i know we're joking, but this is the MOST believable portion of it. I could absolutely see a bunch of bones diving to the bottom of the lake and sacrificing themselves to get a dragon.

You did notice that they weren't all a bunch of bones... right. They are in several states of decay. Bran can pull all the dead as he marches south, from the old boney ones to the new fresh ones. Bran is cool like that.

Yeah, I get that. I figured they wouldn't sacrifice the fresh ones as much though.
Artukka

GoT - s07e06

Postby Artukka » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:58 pm

It's not just the passage of time that's problematic, lately the story has just been riddled with contrivance and cliche. The plan to capture a wight to show Cersei was really, really questionable in the first place. Dany is the one who really needed convincing, and if she trusted Jon enough to send Jorah on a suicide mission then why wouldn't she just take fortnight to do some scouting on Drogon, and maybe even snatch up a wight if she found one isolated from the horde? Yeah, her advisors would've cried about how she shouldn't put herself at risk, but they didn't even discuss the possibility, did they? And the plan they ended up going with meant Dany risking a potential key ally/vassal in Jon Snow as well as Jorah Mormont who is probably her most qualified military advisor (especially now that Grey Worm is out of pocket).

And then in this episode unlikely event after unlikely event let them succeed in the mission (albeit with some fairly expected casualties).

I've seen this season described as being like a fan fiction I think that's apt. It's giving the viewers a lot of what we've been wanting and anticipating, but the writing and story telling is not nearly as coherent or sharp as it could be.
wags83

GoT - s07e06

Postby wags83 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:25 pm

Well said. I agree with most of the nitpicking but I've just been enjoying this season too much to get upset about it.
Tyler
Owner

GoT - s07e06

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:28 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Well said. I agree with most of the nitpicking but I've just been enjoying this season too much to get upset about it.

Agreed. The spectacle has been amazing this season, but the story falls apart if you begin to analysis it.

Artukka wrote:Source of the post The plan to capture a wight to show Cersei was really, really questionable in the first place. Dany is the one who really needed convincing, and if she trusted Jon enough to send Jorah on a suicide mission then why wouldn't she just take fortnight to do some scouting on Drogon

Right!? Cersei will not be convinced either way, and if she appears to be on their side it is all an act.

More nitpicking... why didn't the mag 7 all have dragon-glass weapons? John was mining for it, he could have fashioned weapons for them on the ship ride up to Eastwatch.
wags83

GoT - s07e06

Postby wags83 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:32 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post why didn't the mag 7 all have dragon-glass weapons?

It looked like at least Jorah did. He had a couple bigger knives that he was using that looked to be made of dragon glass. Not sure if any of the others did.
Artukka

GoT - s07e06

Postby Artukka » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:11 pm

The question is why they didn't have arrows with dragonglass arrowheads.

The first time I thought of this while watching the episode was when they ambushed the smaller party of wights. If they were able to get into melee range for a sneak attack it should've been even easier to snipe the Walker and spare themselves having to tangle with such a dangerous creature (as it turns it out, it would've saved them from having to fight at all since it would've deactivated most of the wights).

The second time I thought of this was when Jon and Beric were having their conversation about killing the Night King to end the war immediately. Yeah, a longbow might have been handy for that. It seems that among the entire band of such vaunted warriors not a single ranged was to be found, except the Hound's rock.
Last edited by Artukka on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wags83

GoT - s07e06

Postby wags83 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Artukka wrote:Source of the post except the Hound's rock.

Maybe they'll just all carry bags full of dragonglass chunks next time.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

GoT - s07e06

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:20 pm

Artukka wrote:Source of the post except the Hound's rock.

Maybe they'll just all carry bags full of dragonglass chunks next time.

seems sensible.
CrckrJack

GoT - s07e06

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:31 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Maybe they'll just all carry bags full of dragonglass chunks next time.

LOL

Show has definitely taken a downward turn since they got ahead of the books. It was pretty ridiculous that only the token wildlings died and no main character. The priest died, i guess but he has gotten like 5 minutes of screen time, so i don't really consider him a "main character" (the hound/jon/tormund).
Tyler
Owner

GoT - s07e06

Postby Tyler » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:54 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post . It was pretty ridiculous that only the token wildlings died and no main character.

My podcast spent a lot of time on this. GoT use to be a show where a main character death was surprising. They had 7 A-C characters and killed off the worst C one and had so many random characters die that we didn't even know. Way too trope-y.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

GoT - s07e06

Postby DannyFanny » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:13 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post . It was pretty ridiculous that only the token wildlings died and no main character.

My podcast spent a lot of time on this. GoT use to be a show where a main character death was surprising. They had 7 A-C characters and killed off the worst C one and had so many random characters die that we didn't even know. Way too trope-y.

I didn't want anyone to die, but I was expecting someone of more importance to die in this episode. I couldn't even tell you what dragon was killed off because you rarely see any other than Drogon.
wags83

GoT - s07e06

Postby wags83 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:35 pm

It's funny that when GoT first got popular people were shocked and upset that they would kill off main characters so often. Now we're shocked and upset that a more important character didn't die.
DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post I couldn't even tell you what dragon was killed off because you rarely see any other than Drogon.

I believe it was Viserion.
Tyler
Owner

Re: GoT - s07e06

Postby Tyler » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:51 pm

Will the Whyte dragon breath fire or ice? The fire from Drogon is hot enough to turn man to ash in a second. I think that would be hot enough to instantly melt ice?
wags83

GoT - s07e06

Postby wags83 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:58 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Will the Whyte dragon breath fire or ice? The fire from Drogon is hot enough to turn man to ash in a second. I think that would be hot enough to instantly melt ice?

It's gotta be ice.
CrckrJack

GoT - s07e06

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:13 pm

Kathryn said in his dragon stories it is ice and it is way worse than fire.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: GoT - s07e06

Postby Tyler » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:23 pm

CrckrJack wrote:Kathryn said in his dragon stories it is ice and it is way worse than fire.
GRRM has a dragon story? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere online when people are debating what it will breathe.
wags83

GoT - s07e06

Postby wags83 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
CrckrJack wrote:Kathryn said in his dragon stories it is ice and it is way worse than fire.
GRRM has a dragon story? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere online when people are debating what it will breathe.

I just read this:
In his books, George R.R. Martin has made it clear that ice dragons are a separate breed of beast entirely; hailing from the Shivering Sea, ice dragons are many times larger than their fire-breathing Valyrian cousins, made of "living ice" with translucent wings and eyes of pale blue crystal

Of course, the show has changed things from the books before, so there's a chance the writers could still have an "ice dragon" surprise in store for viewers. But based on all the rules that have been established on GoT itself about the Night King and his thralls, it still seems unlikely. His power has never fundamentally changed or transformed his victims before — it simply reanimates dead carcasses in their old form and forces them to operate under the Night King's control. By all the rules of the show, Viserion should still be made of flesh and scales, not ice, and he should still breathe fire as before, not a deathly cold wind; he'll just be doing it under the Night King's control now.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

GoT - s07e06

Postby DannyFanny » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:41 pm

wags83

GoT - s07e06

Postby wags83 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Also, it looks like the mention of ice dragons is from "A World of Ice and Fire" which is a separate book from the ASOIAF series.

Edit: I guess there is also a story called The Ice Dragon by GRRM written a while before the ASOIAF books.

Return to “Game of Thrones”