Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Community Moving to Yahoo for 6th Season

Discuss your favorite shows
Tyler
Owner

Community Moving to Yahoo for 6th Season

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:59 pm

Community lives! Internet giant Yahoo, which made it clear last spring that it wanted to jump into the same original programming waters as Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu, has struck a deal with producer Sony Pictures Television to stream a 13-episode, sixth, and almost certainly final season of the Dan Harmon comedy. And yes, Harmon will be back as showrunner. "I am very pleased that Community will be returning for its predestined sixth season on Yahoo,” Harmon said in a release announcing the deal. “I look forward to bringing our beloved NBC sitcom to a larger audience by moving it online. I vow to dominate our new competition. Rest easy, Big Bang Theory. Look out, Bang Bus!" Community was canceled by NBC in May, but lead production studio Sony Pictures Television has been working relentlessly to find a new home for the show ever since. The studio engaged in serious conversations with Hulu about a deal, with the internet streamer seriously interested in acquiring exclusive rights to season six (it already syndicates past seasons). The two sides couldn’t make the economics work, however, people familiar with the discussions said. By contrast, Yahoo, eager to land a show with a built-in audience and flush with cash, didn’t have a problem figuring out the financial details. Indeed, Vulture hears the production budget for Community’s sixth season will not be dramatically different than the most recent NBC season of the show.

In addition to Harmon returning as showrunner, Community vet Chris McKenna is also in talks to return as exec producer and Harmon's top lieutenant. And while the six seasons part of #SixSeasonsAndAMovie has come true, there’s nothing official — yet— about the feature film part. Industry insiders, however, say there have been discussions about how that might still happen, too. NBCUniversal-owned Universal Televison, meanwhile, blessed Sony's talks with Yahoo and will remain as a co-producer on the show (though Sony, as it always has, will remain lead studio in day-to-day production of the show.)
The Yahoo deal represents an amazing reprieve for Community, which many Hollywood types considered to be well and truly dead after NBC's axing and after various cable nets passed on the show. But Sony execs, as they have in the past with many shows on their roster, continued to explore all options to keep the show alive. (The studio has developed something of a rep for not accepting network cancellations as final verdicts, having previously resurrected Damages, Rules of Engagement and Unforgettable. Sony is now hoping to secure a second season of NBC's The Night Shift, which had been assumed to be a summer burn-off but has so far performed well for the Peacock.) Timing also worked to Sony's benefit, since Community's free agency happened around the same time as Yahoo chief Marissa Mayer's plan to jump into first-run programming. The Internet giant wants to find new ways to attract advertisers beyond print content and short-form web series. And while outlets such as the Wall Street Journal and Variety have reported Yahoo has been talking to agents about finding new material their clients might produce for Yahoo, picking up Community will let Yahoo quickly get into the first-run, full-length series game.
Angology

Re: Community Moving to Yahoo for 6th Season

Postby Angology » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:42 pm

This makes me supremely happy!!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Ang
Joss Whedon, Steve Moffat, and George RR Martin walk into a bar...
and everyone you love dies!
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:07 am

Very curious how Yahoo will implement this. Do they have plans on getting more shows or original content and have a subscription service? Will it be free with ads?
Do they want to use Community as a test show to see what traffic it would bring to a video service offered by them? -- because Community fan base is low
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:29 pm

At the TCA press tour today, Yahoo announced the premiere date for its new, resurrected Community: March 17, when the show's sixth season will kick off with two new episodes. A new installment will arrive every Tuesday after that. The show's cast — including new arrival Paget Brewster — celebrated the news in a very charming promo that owes more than a little to Fight Club (it's the first pop-culture reference of the new season!). Now all Community fans need is a premiere date for that movie to be
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:43 am

The Community season six premiere is just around the corner. Here is your opportunity for a sneak peak of the show coming exclusively to Yahoo Screen on March 17th. Pop pop

https://screen.yahoo.com/community-seas ... 00821.html

The sixth season of the television comedy series Community will premiere on Yahoo! Screen on March 17, 2015, with a two-episode premiere with new episodes being released every Tuesday thereafter, and will consist of 13 episodes.

Also, they have lost more of the cast.

[youtube]g4iJrZLi3Uo[/youtube]
awright

Postby awright » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:56 pm

So 4 of the 7 "main" cast members are left? Yeesh, that's an empty study table
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:14 pm

awright wrote:So 4 of the 7 "main" cast members are left? Yeesh, that's an empty study table

Yep, but Senor Chang and the Dean have been in almost all of the episodes too and they are still there.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:44 pm

But it's on Yahoo and no one has yahoo screen.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:56 pm

wags83 wrote:But it's on Yahoo and no one has yahoo screen.

I assumed everyone gets it for free? Its's how they are launching Yahoo Screen as a service is my guess
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:27 pm

Ah, I have never used it.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:02 pm

cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:53 am

Both these episodes were pretty funny, but the second one was a lot better. The dean bought a virtual reality machine and was just moving files around and changing the clock time.

"I changed the time! OMG AND JESUSS WEPT!!!!!!"

"Stop staying that!"

Shirley was in it for like 3 minutes as an end of an episode type of thing. Instead of a 2 min troy and abed thing, they do fake movies at the end of each episode, and Shirley was playing a baker who was in a movie with a crippled cop.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:09 am

LOL'd just thinking about the dean and VR. Will watch this weekend.

Do they explain what happened to Mike from Breaking Bad?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:36 am

Nope lol.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:23 pm

First episode was alright. Apologize Montage was possibly the best. A lot of it sets seemed CGI, must have a new set with yahoo?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:33 pm

Second episode was hilarious. You're right that the VR stuff was great.

Oh, also remembered that I laughed in the first episode everytime Abed changed his clothes
megatron

Postby megatron » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:22 pm

I'm really not feeling this show...not a fan of the last two episodes. I think I'll give it one more chance but idk if I'll stick around
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:26 am

megatron wrote:I'm really not feeling this show...not a fan of the last two episodes. I think I'll give it one more chance but idk if I'll stick around

Not feeling this season or the show in general? Have you watched all of them?
megatron

Postby megatron » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:14 pm

Tyler wrote:
megatron wrote:I'm really not feeling this show...not a fan of the last two episodes. I think I'll give it one more chance but idk if I'll stick around

Not feeling this season or the show in general? Have you watched all of them?

Just this season has been weird. I loved the first 2 seasons, and then last season was pretty good too.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:07 am

Britta is a completely irrelevant character now. And they haven't been focusing on Abed much. It seems to be the dean show, which is okay. This episode was weird. Jeffrey gave the Dean an incorrect number, so a bunch of asian boys keep texting him back and forth pretending to be jeffrey, and also ask him to do weird things, like bringing him jars of olives.

Was fantastic :P

Return to “Shows”