Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Thu May 18, 2017 8:02 am

Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Mon May 22, 2017 7:32 am

When I read the synopsis and realized it was going to be a Laurie episode I got a little bummed out, but this turned into the most emotional episode of the season. Wowsers.
-Everything out of laundromat mom
-Laurie GR origin story
-Nora/Laurie talk in the van
-Nora's monologue and why she has to do the machine
-When Matt said "I think I'll stay" and Nora gave the squeakiest little "okay"
-Laurie telling Kevin about her unborn baby
-Laurie tried killing herself at the start of the episode and she may have succeeded by the end of it. Is Kevin going to see her at the hotel?!
-No credit music just added to it all

My only complaint of the season so far was showing Nora in that flash forward scene. We know she can't be turned to ash by the machine. The two doctors denied Nora, idk why they would change their minds just because Nora tracked them down.

Connections I didn't make
-Laurie to Jill before she goes in "I'm just hanging around" - Laurie echoing Judas hanging himself. This episode was really really good.
-Judas had silver coins, Laurie has the silver lighter
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:50 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post When I read the synopsis and realized it was going to be a Laurie episode I got a little bummed out, but this turned into the most emotional episode of the season. Wowsers.
-Everything out of laundromat mom
-Laurie GR origin story
-Nora/Laurie talk in the van
-Nora's monologue and why she has to do the machine
-When Matt said "I think I'll stay" and Nora gave the squeakiest little "okay"
-Laurie telling Kevin about her unborn baby
-Laurie tried killing herself at the start of the episode and she may have succeeded by the end of it. Is Kevin going to see her at the hotel?!
-No credit music just added to it all

My only complaint of the season so far was showing Nora in that flash forward scene. We know she can't be turned to ash by the machine. The two doctors denied Nora, idk why they would change their minds just because Nora tracked them down.

Connections I didn't make
-Laurie to Jill before she goes in "I'm just hanging around" - Laurie echoing Judas hanging himself. This episode was really really good.
-Judas had silver coins, Laurie has the silver lighter

This was very sad. I don't understand the Laurie suicide. She referenced in the episode before that she understands suicide, but shes genuinely happy now. She also couldnt tell her kids where she was, or even wanted to say goodbye. It looked like she barely picked up the phone. Based on how her kids talked, its a done deal though.

I don't think they'll allow Nora. She seemed pretty pissed off in the flash forward, so I don't think it'll happen. I'm glad Laurie finally told Kevin about her baby though. Very sad.

Three episodes left to cover a single day. This is going to be packed.
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Mon May 22, 2017 9:57 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I don't think they'll allow Nora. She seemed pretty pissed off in the flash forward, so I don't think it'll happen.

I'm a purist. I don't watch the "next week on" segments.
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Three episodes left to cover a single day. This is going to be packed.

2*. Last night was 6. We only have 7 and 8 left.
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I don't understand the Laurie suicide.

Stolen from Reddit:
-I think it was trying to imply that she had been suicidal for a long time (since the departure) and wasn't able to go through with it because of how it would hurt her family. Nora showed her a way to do it cleanly.
-She was suicidal seven years ago, and she joined a doomsday cult in between. Both of her husbands have thrown themselves fully into chasing something she doesn't even slightly believe in. She believes Nora also killed herself (we'll find out, but remember old lady Nora from earlier). I don't think it's really all that sudden.
-Everyone she loves and cares about is so broken and she can't fix any of them. Matt's dying, Nora is going off to probably die, her husband and everyone else is going to kill Kevin in the belief it'll solve their problems. (all of this from her point of view ofcourse)
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:59 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I'm a purist. I don't watch the "next week on" segments.

I don't watch those either. I meant from old lady Nora, the Pigeon Master.

I agree with the Laurie analysis. Gave her a way out, but idk, if you were going to do it, I'd wait a day to see what happens? But that's just me.
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Mon May 22, 2017 10:18 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post if you were going to do it, I'd wait a day to see what happens? But that's just me.

I guess she doesn't want to know what happens to Kevin Jr, especially if he ends up being killed by his friends/dad.
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Tue May 30, 2017 7:30 am

Kevin return to the "afterlife" first had me a little disappointed because it wasn't the hotel. I liked the idea of the hotel afterlife and people having to pick a role out of a wardrobe, and that drinking the water made you stay there. However, the dual role Kevin turned out to be just as interesting.

I think you can defend the hotel episode from last year actually being purgatory. Kevin communicates with his dad and he know for a fact that what Jr. sees Sr. doing actually happened. It would be a huge coincident for Jr to dream exactly what his dad was doing in Australia. This episode though could entirely be a dream. *Almost* nothing happens that can't be explained. Kevin dreamed about Evie/the Australian kids because he's been thinking about them. The kids don't give Kevin information he didn't already have. The only thing that is borderline is Christopher Sunday. Kevin wouldn't have known what he looked like, unless Sr gave him a picture before hand. It would have been really interesting if Laurie showed up since Kevin didn't know she is dead. I thought for sure Laurie would be the VP.

I'm glad we learned what David told Kevin on the bridge back in International Assassin from last year.

Justin Theroux's face deserves an Emmy. He can show such a wide range of emotion without even speaking. Kevin's facial expressions were so good when Kevin was reading to him.

The song that played during the opening credits was the song from season 1 opening, right?

Questions:
How much time has passed? I was talking to Wilkins about this last night. I wish we knew how long Kevin was dead/passed out. Was it minutes or was it hours? Kevin Sr said it began to rain and flood while he was dead the first time, I would think that takes quite a bit of time. When Kevin wakes up the 2nd time he was under a sheet. Did they think he was dead? Almost all of the water was gone by then. Has the Doomsday passed?

Is the final episode going to be Kevin chasing after Nora? How will the flashfoward play into this where Nora doesn't even want to admit to knowing Kevin?

Did this episode confirm Kevin is "Special"? Dude has died 4 times now (poison, shot, drowned, drowned) and a lake drained itself the first time he trying drowning himself.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:50 am

First off, I loved the idea of the reflective surfaces and how they did that. It's interesting that Patti was the person who he wanted to be his secretary of defense, although I think it would've manifested as anyone he would've mentioned. After all, this is his world. I would also argue that seeing Christopher Sunday doesn't mean he pictures him exactly as he was, it just means that he manifested him, and we saw it like that. It's not like Kevin was recording it and we saw it via video playback. My .02 on that. I'm taking this more of a metaphorical visit than literal, even though he did see his dad's stuff. It's weird, IDK! Last time he got answers, and this time he was presented with no new information, except what he contemplated, literally, with his own self to understand he needs Nora.

The music where he was going to the afterlife always make me get goosebumps. I heard it and just yelled YES, finally.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Is the final episode going to be Kevin chasing after Nora? How will the flashfoward play into this where Nora doesn't even want to admit to knowing Kevin?

Did this episode confirm Kevin is "Special"? Dude has died 4 times now (poison, shot, drowned, drowned) and a lake drained itself the first time he trying drowning himself.

I think he will go after Nora. The point of this show is to tell how people deal with grief. Matt dealt with it by trying to become a storyteller and write a gospel. His conversation with God about his introspective self gave him peace. Laurie had to be needed. Once she became no longer needed, she found a way out because of Nora and committed suicide. Kevin Sr. needed to save the world, and will be cured of his delusions now that the 7th anniversary happened. Kevin jr needed to confront his commitment issues and figure out he was always pushing Nora away (along with everyone else). Even Kevin's kids went through the grief phase, especially his son, and now they've found peace. John needed resolution on his daughters death, and by following Kevin Jr, he was able to get it.

The only person left to find it is Nora.

I think Kevin is special, but he is going to have like...pneumonia for sure.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:51 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Justin Theroux's face deserves an Emmy. He can show such a wide range of emotion without even speaking. Kevin's facial expressions were so good when Kevin was reading to him.

The song that played during the opening credits was the song from season 1 opening, right?

Someone was on reddit :) But yes, he is amazing. When he was just looking at himself, reading, was very powerful.
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Tue May 30, 2017 9:58 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post The only person left to find it is Nora.

Finale is titled "The book of Nora"

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I think Kevin is special, but he is going to have like...pneumonia for sure.

:lol: :lol: But seriously, he has to have some kind of special supernatural powers, but I know the show will never outright confirm this

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Someone was on reddit

Maybe...I agree with it though!
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Tue May 30, 2017 9:59 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I think he will go after Nora. The point of this show is to tell how people deal with grief. Matt dealt with it by trying to become a storyteller and write a gospel. His conversation with God about his introspective self gave him peace. Laurie had to be needed. Once she became no longer needed, she found a way out because of Nora and committed suicide. Kevin Sr. needed to save the world, and will be cured of his delusions now that the 7th anniversary happened. Kevin jr needed to confront his commitment issues and figure out he was always pushing Nora away (along with everyone else). Even Kevin's kids went through the grief phase, especially his son, and now they've found peace. John needed resolution on his daughters death, and by following Kevin Jr, he was able to get it.

Great post. You're totally right. What about Micheal aka Doubting Thomas? When/how will he reach peace?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:02 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I think he will go after Nora. The point of this show is to tell how people deal with grief. Matt dealt with it by trying to become a storyteller and write a gospel. His conversation with God about his introspective self gave him peace. Laurie had to be needed. Once she became no longer needed, she found a way out because of Nora and committed suicide. Kevin Sr. needed to save the world, and will be cured of his delusions now that the 7th anniversary happened. Kevin jr needed to confront his commitment issues and figure out he was always pushing Nora away (along with everyone else). Even Kevin's kids went through the grief phase, especially his son, and now they've found peace. John needed resolution on his daughters death, and by following Kevin Jr, he was able to get it.

Great post. You're totally right. What about Micheal aka Doubting Thomas? When/how will he reach peace?

Honestly, I think Michael's peace was seeing his dad get his. Michael was never really a part of the whole thing, was just there to support his dad. I think that is all he needed.
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:34 am

I didn't watch the 90 minute finale last night and I'm trying to avoid spoilers today. I did read a headline that it was one of the greatest finales
Tyler
Owner

Re: The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:44 pm

It so dry in my basement. My eyes keep watering.

I'll post my full thoughts when I get on a computer tomorrow for all 2 of you who watch (Corey, Wilkins) and all one of you who slightly care (Wilkins)
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:08 am

s03e08 - SERIES FINALE
This was an excellent finale. I am not ready to call it the "greatest series finale of TV ever", but it was very satisfying. The whole episode gave a lot more closure than I was excepting, while still leaving some mystery. I was confused during most of it (as you should be). I really couldn't tell if Kevin couldn't remember their past or if they were in Nora's "other place" and their relationship never happened. It wasn't until Kevin gave that little smirk about sacrificing a goat that I was 87% sure he was just messing with her. Now...my bullet points.

-I'm glad we got a update on the people state side that was naturally brought up in conversation between Nora and Kevin.
----Jill is married and has a kid
----Tommy continues to go through stuff, but he bounces back
----Laurie and John are still married and living in the house
----Michael has taken over the church
----Matt passed from cancer
----Mary is still out of a coma
----Kevin Sr is not in jail and is now only 91
----Erika is well and visits
-I thought there were 3 super emotional scenes
----Matt and Nora saying goodbye and Matt calling his sister the bravest girl in the world
----Kevin/Nora dancing and crying
----Nora telling her story of going through the machine and seeing her kids happy. She didn't even get to talk to them
-"I love Miami". the delivery of that was great.
-Laurie not killing herself, fan or not? I think it retroactively ruins a very powerful episode/moment.

The big question. Is Nora telling the truth?
I love the scenario she set up. You take 2% of the population and every goes crazy wondering what happened and where they went. Against huge odds Nora is without a family. The inverse of that, 98% of the world vanishes, but somehow a family of 4 is still left with 3. They are the lucky ones. But did that really happen? My in the moment reaction was that she was telling the truth, but the more I think about it the more I think she made it up to give herself final closure.

2 reddit posts:
A Case for "Nora is telling the truth"
A Case for "Nora is Lying"
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:13 am

Long read, but good interview to read.
Damon Lindelof (showrunner) Explains ‘The Leftovers’ Finale. And Doesn’t.

For you Wilkins:
Did Grace and/or Kevin Sr. go to prison?

Grace yes, Kevin Senior no.

Officer Koala Fart didn’t file charges?

I think that he got written up. Either Kevin Sr. fled Australia, or it was just, “This guy’s a lunatic. It was the day before the world was supposed to end. He’s already been running afoul of the aboriginal community. He’s an American. Let’s just deport his ass.” I think that’s what happened to him, and I think that Grace went and confessed what she did to Kevin Yarborough and she got six months of jail time and ten years of community service because the judge in that jurisdiction hated Yarborough because he was an infamous asshole.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:01 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post For you Wilkins:
Did Grace and/or Kevin Sr. go to prison?

Grace yes, Kevin Senior no.

Officer Koala Fart didn’t file charges?

I think that he got written up. Either Kevin Sr. fled Australia, or it was just, “This guy’s a lunatic. It was the day before the world was supposed to end. He’s already been running afoul of the aboriginal community. He’s an American. Let’s just deport his ass.” I think that’s what happened to him, and I think that Grace went and confessed what she did to Kevin Yarborough and she got six months of jail time and ten years of community service because the judge in that jurisdiction hated Yarborough because he was an infamous asshole.

This isn't a good answer to me. An American committing a felony murder in cold blood to a COP in a foreign country isn't just going to get deported.

For the rest of the episode, I thought Laurie being alive took a completely dramatic and sad scene, and made the whole thing irrelevant. The whole previous episode was essentially erased.

The scenes where they danced, where Matt said he loved Miami, and really that whole scene, and the finally telling of what happened to Nora was so compelling and beautifully acted. Matt did such a phenomenal job. My basement was getting dry as well.

I wish that they would have done the Nora scene with her retelling just a little bit, but I suppose that adds to the mystery of whether she is lying or not. I wish they would have done small flashes of her walking through the town, and/or just a glimpse of her kids and husband with her the new woman. I think that would have given all the feels.

As far as whether I think she's lying or not. I'm going to choose she's telling the truth. Regardless of whether it was real or not, I believe her that she BELIEVES it happened, whether it was in a dream or otherwise. The only real person who would know is Laurie, right? She's the only one who kept in contact with her. It all depends on when she first contacted her after the machine. However, I don't care. I don't think Nora would actually lie about it, unless she was in a real delusion, in which case, is it really any different? I wonder if when she came back through she told the scientists and the one went through. That's an interesting question I would've liked answered.

The inverse world is so unbelievably sad to me. Millions of people who die due to isolation. Take Iowa for instance. The population would go from 3 million to 60 thousand. And thats spread out over the entire state. Newborns, children, elderly, would all be dead fairly soon. It's depressing.

Moreover, it's so interesting to me to think that the people MOST affected in the original world, are the safest in the secondary world. I think the most saddening and satisfying thing for the whole show to me, is that Nora spent all this time being guilted and haunted by her entire family disappearing, that now she knows that they are all together, and one of the luckiest families in that entire world.
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:09 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post This isn't a good answer to me. An American committing a felony murder in cold blood to a COP in a foreign country isn't just going to get deported.

SR didn't kill a cop. He just knocked him out with a shovel. Grace is the one who drowned and murdered one.
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post The scenes where they danced, where Matt said he loved Miami, and really that whole scene, and the finally telling of what happened to Nora was so compelling and beautifully acted. Matt did such a phenomenal job. My basement was getting dry as well.

You could have at least gotten the character's name right for the finale! *Kevin
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I think that would have given all the feels.

That would have been good, but you're right, it would have answered that mystery. I had all the feels when she was having the memory of yelling at the kids when she got into the bubble.
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post The only real person who would know is Laurie, right? She's the only one who kept in contact with her. It all depends on when she first contacted her after the machine

Good call. If she contacted Laurie a month later..assuming time works the same at both places...then she didn't do it. If it was 6 years later, then maybe.
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Nora spent all this time being guilted and haunted by her entire family disappearing, that now she knows that they are all together, and one of the luckiest families in that entire world.

:'( That's why I agree with you, it doesn't matter if Nora actually went through or not, it matters if she believes the story she told.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:13 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post cwilkins88 wrote:
Source of the post This isn't a good answer to me. An American committing a felony murder in cold blood to a COP in a foreign country isn't just going to get deported.

SR didn't kill a cop. He just knocked him out with a shovel. Grace is the one who drowned and murdered one.

Trueeeee, but still. He probably had like brain damage. He hit him hard as hell.
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:50 pm

Corey and Wilkins,
Season 2 vs 3, what was the better season?
Breaking Bad vs The Leftovers, what is the better show?
What show do you put above The Leftovers?

Return to “Shows”