The Leftovers on HBO

Discuss your favorite shows
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:36 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Every episode this season has mentioned Australia I think.
Kevin's dad is going to Australia because that's where "the world is restarting"
Crazy guy at Miracle on the piller sent a letter to Australia
Tommy was watching TV and the news mentioned someone in Australia.
Someone was reading a newspaper with a story on the cover that said "biblical floods in Australia"

Tie in to 208
Transcript from the radio broadcast about the resurrection in Australia (Perth):
The audio clip on the news specifically mentioned the guy who came out of the cave was David Burton. Broadcaster: "Resurrection, that's the claim in Australia, as witnesses described a man previously believed dead, emerging from a cave in Wanneroo, outside the city of Perth." Australian dude (witness) :" walked out covered in mozzie bites, saying he'd just been in a hotel! " Reporter:" The man, identified as David Burton" TV turns off

Chances that the guy with the nooses on the bridge was David? Also, when Kevin asked Virgil about the nearest well Virgil said "Are you sure you don't mean a cave?" David was in a cave.

ALSO...Kevin Sr. is in Perth and when he showed up on the TV he said to Kevin "we are in the same room". Maybe Kevin Sr. is in the same cave that David used? When Kevin Sr said "more fire" the fire alarms would go off.

Bigger question. Am I ready to admit there are supernatural things going on (aside from the departure), or is this all in Kevin's head? You could easily make the argument that Virgil gave him a drug that put him into a coma and all of this was just a dream....BUT!! If that was true why was Virgil so obsessed with the birds in Kevin's dream? Kevin doesn't know anything about Virgil and the magical bird box. It seems if the bird is killed at the hotel it won't be alive when Erica opens the box?

This show does a very solid job treading the line between probable and supernatural. Almost everything seems to be a metaphor, and so its kind of hard to discern what is reality in some cases. It's probably why I like the show, and particularly, this episode, so damn much.
Tyler
Owner

Re: The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:51 pm

This episode was to set up things for the finale. It was a good episode, but not as impressive as the last few. Finally got confirmation that Evee and the girls are alive and members of the GR.

The Tommy/Meg stuff wasn't that exciting, but he Matt/Meg 2 minute Convo was intense!

Also noticed that Megs phone had a cricket ringtone. Did Evees phone have the same tone when Meg texted her? Is that the sound John was hearing in the pilot? He hasn't heard it since Evee left. Speaking of the first episode, when will John open tb gift from Evee?! The gift she said "wait until I'm gone to open it"
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:06 am

Finished season 2 last night. What a ride! I was in my Leftovers position almost the entire time.

Holy sheet moments:
-Evee and the girls saw Kevin jump into the lake to kill himself
-Mary woke up
-Mary remembers having sex with Matt
-Kevin was dead and buried for 8 hours
-Kevin was shot and killed (again)
-Kevin going to the hotel and singing to return to life. I love how annoyed Kevin was with returning there
-Lily getting kidnapped and left on the bridge with people running over her. OMG. My heart was going to burst out of my chest
-Tommy going to Norah's aid on the bridge
-Dog ran away
-In the episode Kevin had the handcuffs he went to John to cut them off. John couldn't find the bolt cutters...that's because the girls had them to leave Miracle!

Kevin and John had some great exchanges this episode.
John - "I killed you.."
Kevin - "Nope"

John - "I don't understand what's happening."
Kevin - "Me neither."

John - "What if nobody's home?"
Kevin - "Then you can come over to my house."

This finale was great. This entire season was great. I'm on board with calling it the best single season of TV ever (recent biased, I know). Of the 10 episodes there were 8 amazing ones and 2 that were *only* great. I left this episode thinking the writers crossed the line between believable coincidences and the super natural. No way could someone survive a gunshot wound like Kevin did...however...the writers said in an interview that it is medically possible to survive that exact injury and it has happened before. 99% of fans aren't going to be aware the writer said that and will be convinced there are supernatural things at play.

Where do I land on the topic? Sure, someone could jump into a lake and have it emptied out because of an earthquake, maybe someone can drink poison and be buried dead and wake up alive, someone could get shot and not bleed out...but....all of these things happening to one man? Kevin is Special with a capital "S".
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:59 am

I would have been shocked if they didn't go to Australia. That all makes sense to me.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:40 pm

Showrunner is funny

Blue Jackets

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Blue Jackets » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:48 am

Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:39 am

23 days
Blue Jackets

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Blue Jackets » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:52 am

‘The Leftovers’ Review: Season 3 Pushes The Best Show on Television to Evocative New Heights

Without spoiling the deft creative touches used to introduce the final season, it’s not the narrative reset we saw to start Season 2. This is a cumulative story, and it’s designed to be a cumulative viewing experience. Standalone episodes and arcs are a glimpse of the full story’s power, but dedicated study of both prior seasons will amplify your appreciation of the new year.

Grade: A+
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:42 am

I'm so excited. Will it just be Wilkins and me discussing s03? I know Corey will be watching, but we can't count on him to actually contribute anything other than Justin Theroux sweatpant gifs....which are a necessity.

I'm going to try and bribe Feddersen to post to the site just for this show. I know we will be texting a lot about it and I would rather have those conversations here.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:16 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I'm so excited. Will it just be Wilkins and me discussing s03? I know Corey will be watching, but we can't count on him to actually contribute anything other than Justin Theroux sweatpant gifs....which are a necessity.

I'm going to try and bribe Feddersen to post to the site just for this show. I know we will be texting a lot about it and I would rather have those conversations here.

Oh man, I'm sad/glad its ending. It'll be an awesome season. < I sound like a football coach
purple_hayes

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby purple_hayes » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am

the only question they need to answer on this worthless show is... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?? then I'll watch again, but until then... you're dead to me
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:37 pm

If Buzzfeed says this it must be true
15 reasons why The Leftovers is the best show you're not watching.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/christopherhud ... .ek2nJDP8D
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:52 am

Awesome to hear. Sepinwall is a highly respected TV critic. My podcast dudes credit him with their inspiration to quit their high paying IT jobs and work for peanuts watching TV shows full time.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:12 am

Awesome to hear. Sepinwall is a highly respected TV critic. My podcast dudes credit him with their inspiration to quit their high paying IT jobs and work for peanuts watching TV shows full time.

Jeez. That's a nice endorsement then. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to watch this Sunday night, but I'm hoping I can. I may miss GoT and Leftovers for two weeks :(
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:13 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I may miss GoT and Leftovers for two weeks

Because of your India trip? Remember GoT isn't until July.... Maybe you meant Silicon Valley?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:15 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I may miss GoT and Leftovers for two weeks

Because of your India trip? Remember GoT isn't until July.... Maybe you meant Silicon Valley?

Yeah, I leave the next morning, so might take an early night. And yes, Silicon Valley, my bad. Swapped their start dates.
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:43 am

The Leftovers creator begs critics not to binge season 3, they do so anyway: 'It's too good not to'

Ahead of this weekend's return of series The Leftovers, showrunner Damon Lindelof urged critics against bingeing seven of the final season's eight episodes handed to them by HBO - but they all did so anyway arguing “it was too good not to.”

The first look reviews have rolled in and critics are heaping unanimous praise upon the third season in a manner, unlike anything that's been seen in quite some time.
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:06 am

s03e01 - Spoilers obviously to follow. I want to get my talking points out there now since it's going to be awhile before Wilkins watches and can discuss because of his work trip.

Cold open - The Great Disappointment in the Millerite movement was the reaction that followed Baptist preacher William Miller's proclamations that Jesus Christ would return to the Earth in 1844, what he called the Advent.
Starting the final season of an anticipated show with "the great disappointment". Trolling?

There was no opening credit scene. They switched up the intro drastically between s01 and s02 so I was curious what s03 would look like. Would be very odd if every episode didn't have one.

Tyler wrote:Source of the post SPOILERS!!
I clicked through the video for some reason and saw Evee.

Jokes on me. I saw Evee in the teaser for s03 and assumed she would be playing a big role in the final season. Nope. Killed her off as soon as they could. John thinks she's still alive, but unless they lied about dental records... she's dead. No one obviously believes the "gas leak" story.

3 years later?! This was hinted at in the promo material when they talked about the 7th anniversary. I remember s03 took place around the 4th year.

Seems like Miracle is more relaxed now and the Burning Man campers can freely enter the city. Were there rangers letting the cars over the bridge when Kevin was on the horse or was it all being controller by Police? Is the town not recognized as a state/federal park now?

So many surprises with John/Lori. At first I couldn't believe John was taking over the role of the hand print reader, then I couldn't believe Lori was helping him con people by reading their internet profiles, then I realized they were doing it as a way to "help" people and they weren't actually keeping their money....AND THEN THEY KISSED! I don't think they even met each other in s02.

What happened to John's wife, Erika? Does her not being in the show have something to do with Lily not being there? I kept waiting for Lily to show up, but she never did. When Jill finally addressed it I got sad.

Is Mary going to be okay when she leaves Miracle? Does Miracle actually have powers? If I was in a coma for 3 years and woke up the first night I was in a "holy place" I don't think I would want to leave. I understand why though, Matt is obsessed with Kevin/Miracle and Mary is basically a prop for it.

Dean the dog hunter showing up was weird. I'm surprised Kevin seemed happy to see him. "We may have shot some dogs together.." Wasn't the last time they were together at the cabin when he wanted to kill Patti? I don't remember them patching things up after that. Kevin must feel even worse about his time in NY knowing that he was on the same page as this insane man. Tommy is going to be messed up this season for killing him. Also odd that Kevin was talking about killing Patti/body guards as if it actually happened. OH! And Dean blowing the dog whistle just to make sure Kevin wasn't a dog.

The big question:
Is Kevin actually Jesus/death proof in Miracle? That scene was very dark when he start suffocating himself when Nora went for her bike ride. Does Kevin poke a hole in the sack and start breathing at the last second? Did he kill himself so he could visit the hotel again? How does he get back from there and take the bag off of his head? How often does Kevin do this routine?

John has come a long ways since s02 as well. He thought his son Michael was wasting his time as a preacher, but now John is one of the authors of the Book of Kevin. Speaking of the Book of Kevin "this is our only copy". We literally saw Michael on the laptop working on it (unless that was something else).

Ending scene:
We know Nora doesn't die in this season. A google search shows that church is in Australia. I was half expecting that to be a long haired Kevin Sr.

Return to “Shows”