The Leftovers on HBO

Discuss your favorite shows
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:03 am

No...I feel like I cheated myself. I thought my favorite TV podcast guys started covering this show at season 2. I downloaded the podcast because I am ready to start that season too and found out they did s01 as well! So many hours of driving noise that I can't listen to now.
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:35 pm

s02e01
What the heck was that cave woman about? She took a snake for her baby so I'm glad (s)he lived.

A town called Miracle has zero departures. Or did they change the name of the town afterwards? Either way, great plot point. About halfway through, still waiting for Kevin and his family to show up
EDIT: Miracle is the State Park. The town is Jarden, TX

Ah shit! Matt is there to preach.

Kevin is moving in next door! They also didn't have that baby in a car seat. Within 2 seconds of stopping Jill got out of the car holding her

So much tension between Kevin and the neighbor (John?). It's great.

You know what would suck? Swimming at night in a pond and having the bottom crack open and suck you down to death into the middle of the earth. That has to be the last we see of her, but why even establish the epilepsy?
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:58 pm

s02e02
Initial reaction: Kevin needs to lock himself in a room when he sleeps. How is he involved with these girls and why was he thrown into that lake with a cinder block tied to his left?

I liked that this episode picked up right where season 1 ended. I wonder if there is any significance to the baby that the social worker wanted the Garvey family to adopt along with Lily. I've been suspecting that Patty was haunting Kevin and we got confirmation this week. That's why he is always listening to loud music. Kevin should have talked to his dad about this or get back on his meds and see if that helps.

I thought the workings of the Miracle State Park was fascinating and seems exactly how it would go down. People would be camped outside and trying to scalp tickets. There would be a super cheesy welcome building as soon as you got there. Of course the house that burned down in the previous episode is where they were suppose to move. Also, don't jump a bid from 1.6 million straight to 3.

Season one of The Leftovers straddled the line of coincident and supernatural. Did Holy Wayne give Kevin that new family or was it just chance? Etc. Season 2 seems to be leaning towards the supernatural side
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:46 am

From s02e02. Is baby Lily taking the poison out of the pie because she has some of her dad's powers? They held this shot for a few seconds.
Or is baby Lily wearing the same checkered pattern as the pie because they were both left on door steps?

Tyler
Owner

Re: The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:02 pm

s02e03

Lori and Tom are trying to pull GR members out of houses, but Tom gets caught! This show is so good at putting main characters in jeopardy and I believe they might actually be killed off (aside from Kevin). When Tom was soaked in gasoline I thought there was a real possibility of Meg lighting him up.

Lori is frickin nuts. Going after that publisher. Oh, and running over GR members whenever she seems them.

Tom explained why he put baby Wayne on the Garvey door step... Holy Wayne told him to do it! And Wayne gave him the powers?!
A) are they making up this story to give them an edge over the GR?
B) did Wayne actually hug him and now he has powers or does he now have the placebo effect?

This is basically what I do during every episode. When that ex-GR lady drove her family into that semi. Omgosh. This show has some heavy stuff!
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:34 pm

s02e04

The show went back to Miracle and showed the aftermath of Evee and her friends disappearing. I am glad Kevin was (semi) honest with Norah and told her that he woke up out there just after the girls went missing. Kevin also finally talked to the ghost of Patty, but to be fair she did find his missing phone. What's going to happen with Kevin's palm print being on the missing girl's car? I would imagine his prints are on record since he worked as a police officer. Crazy that a 2nd departure seems to have happened and it only took those 3 girls.

Is Matt telling the truth that his wife "woke up" their first night there?!
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:49 am

I can't read that article!

Watched 205 last night. It was all about Matt and Mary.
Oh. Em. Gee! The character drama this show makes is unreal. Matt impregnates his comatose wife and of course everyone is going to accuse him of rape, but Matt claims she woke up one night and they talked for hours and then made love. I don't think Matt is lying, I'm sure he really believes that happen...but he could also have imagined it happening and thought it was real. Just like when he gets knocked out cold with a wrench. Mary talks then, but is he dreaming it or did it really happen? I've said it 15 times now, but this show is sooooo good at walking that line of reality and supernatural. Like the guy stealing Matt's wristband just happens to die in front of Matt so he can take it back. And then Matt leaves Mary with his sister and takes the place of that nekked dude on top of the van. What a burden for your family. Does Norah even know how to feed and take care of Mary?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:29 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I can't read that article!

Watched 205 last night. It was all about Matt and Mary.
Oh. Em. Gee! The character drama this show makes is unreal. Matt impregnates his comatose wife and of course everyone is going to accuse him of rape, but Matt claims she woke up one night and they talked for hours and then made love. I don't think Matt is lying, I'm sure he really believes that happen...but he could also have imagined it happening and thought it was real. Just like when he gets knocked out cold with a wrench. Mary talks then, but is he dreaming it or did it really happen? I've said it 15 times now, but this show is sooooo good at walking that line of reality and supernatural. Like the guy stealing Matt's wristband just happens to die in front of Matt so he can take it back. And then Matt leaves Mary with his sister and takes the place of that nekked dude on top of the van. What a burden for your family. Does Norah even know how to feed and take care of Mary?

I loved this episode. Poor Dr. Who has a real tough time for a few episodes after this, understandably so. I just wanted him to stop telling people about it. Like dude, shes in a coma again, even if it did happen. Maybe ...don't tell the whole world?
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:35 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Poor Dr. Who

I had no idea he was a Dr. This is the first thing I've really noticed him in. He's great though.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:43 pm

Just starting 206 but want to post an observation first. Every episode this season has mentioned Australia I think.
Kevin's dad is going to Australia because that's where "the world is restarting"
Crazy guy at Miracle on the piller sent a letter to Australia
Tommy was watching TV and the news mentioned someone in Australia.
Someone was reading a newspaper with a story on the cover that said "biblical floods in Australia"

I'm waiting for someone to actually mention this since it's mostly background stuff so far.
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:11 am

Another great episode. I really liked that this was Norah's POV on everything and Kevin was barely a secondary character. I liked we got to see him talking to himself and we can assume Patty showed up to ruin their sexy time. I'm glad Kevin decided to tell Norah about Patty, but holy horrible timing! Norah is having a huge breakdown and Kevin just unloads all this.

I felt like we got a lot of questions answered too:
What was Erika doing with the birds in the box
Old man in the trailer is Erikia's dad and John went to jail for trying to kill him. Still don't know why.
We learned a new theory about the departed and Norah might be a lens.
Matt is out of the stocks and leading a new "church"

The scene with Erika and Norah doing the questionnaire was sooooo intense. Emmy worthy scene

Oh..and Tommy is missing and Lori called Norah.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:36 pm

Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:35 am

GDI...I shouldn't have watched that.

SPOILERS!!
I clicked through the video for some reason and saw Evee.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:53 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post

GDI...I shouldn't have watched that.

SPOILERS!!
I clicked through the video for some reason and saw Evee.

Oh man, you can't look stuff up for this show.
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:11 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Oh man, you can't look stuff up for this show.

► Show Spoiler
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:20 pm

Holy crap. I know Kevin will be pulling a Jon Snow, but he's dead until I watch the next episode. Why in the world did Michael's grandpa do that and then kill himself?!

Is Norah in the wrong for leaving Kevin? Yes, Kevin is crazy and his this from her, but she should stick around to get him help. Lorie makes a very strong case that Patti isn't "real" and just in Kevin's head.

We learned that Tommy's holy Wayne story was completely made up. I wonder if we will get a flashback episode. I don't feel like we need one, Lorie explaining it quickly was enough exposition for me.

John has Kevin's hand print! Is it going to come back as a match?

What an episode! I get goosebumps every time the signature Leftovers music starts up during an episode.
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:19 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post You'll love the hotel episodes.

episodes? Plural?

Finished 208 tonight. Kevin is dead and in a hotel as an international assassin. What the heck did I just watch? In the words of Micheal at the end of the episode - 'Holy shit'

Saw this on Reddit...
Virgil warns Kevin not to drink the water at the hotel. After a while we realize that the people who have drunk the water don't seem to be the same people that Kevin knew in the real world, or who they were before they died, if you will.
Here's why I find that interesting: In Hades, there are five rivers (Styx, Acheron, Lethe, Phlegethon, and Cocytus). The important one here is Lethe, which is known as the river of forgetfulness. In Hades, the spirits of the dead were meant to drink the waters of Lethe. In doing so, they would completely forget their previous life and would be able to move on and (according to Virgil, the ancient Roman poet) be reincarnated.
It's awesome that the people in the hotel forgot their earthly memories upon drinking the water, just like drinking the water of Lethe in the afterlife.
Neil remembers who he is because he only drinks booze.

Also, Kevin is driving the same car that the girls were driving the night of their disappearance. So many layers of this episode to unpeel
Tyler
Owner

The Leftovers on HBO

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:59 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Every episode this season has mentioned Australia I think.
Kevin's dad is going to Australia because that's where "the world is restarting"
Crazy guy at Miracle on the piller sent a letter to Australia
Tommy was watching TV and the news mentioned someone in Australia.
Someone was reading a newspaper with a story on the cover that said "biblical floods in Australia"

Tie in to 208
Transcript from the radio broadcast about the resurrection in Australia (Perth):
The audio clip on the news specifically mentioned the guy who came out of the cave was David Burton. Broadcaster: "Resurrection, that's the claim in Australia, as witnesses described a man previously believed dead, emerging from a cave in Wanneroo, outside the city of Perth." Australian dude (witness) :" walked out covered in mozzie bites, saying he'd just been in a hotel! " Reporter:" The man, identified as David Burton" TV turns off

Chances that the guy with the nooses on the bridge was David? Also, when Kevin asked Virgil about the nearest well Virgil said "Are you sure you don't mean a cave?" David was in a cave.

ALSO...Kevin Sr. is in Perth and when he showed up on the TV he said to Kevin "we are in the same room". Maybe Kevin Sr. is in the same cave that David used? When Kevin Sr said "more fire" the fire alarms would go off.

Bigger question. Am I ready to admit there are supernatural things going on (aside from the departure), or is this all in Kevin's head? You could easily make the argument that Virgil gave him a drug that put him into a coma and all of this was just a dream....BUT!! If that was true why was Virgil so obsessed with the birds in Kevin's dream? Kevin doesn't know anything about Virgil and the magical bird box. It seems if the bird is killed at the hotel it won't be alive when Erica opens the box?

Return to “Shows”