Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

American Gods

Discuss your favorite shows
wags83

American Gods

Postby wags83 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:27 am

Watched episode 3 last night. If the re-shoot is what they went with, it was plenty gay.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

American Gods

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:45 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Watched episode 3 last night. If the re-shoot is what they went with, it was plenty gay.

Yah, it was definitely that. It was mostly just weird. Oman shit salesman doing a djinn.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

American Gods

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:49 am

So, this episode was interesting to me. They did a lot of religious type things in here that I could see seriously pissing off some religions.

For instance, the idea that an islamic woman is being sent to the afterlife by the Egyption god of Anubis. Probably not gonna go over well.

Then, you have the Djinn, which is the islamic version of an angel (except Djinn have free will, fun fact), having gay sex. Very against islamic religion.

The episode was good. I like the leprechaun scenes, whenever he's in the show.
wags83

American Gods

Postby wags83 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:53 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Then, you have the Djinn, which is the islamic version of an angel (except Djinn have free will, fun fact), having gay sex. Very against islamic religion.

Speaking of this... Did the Djinn trade places with the salesman guy or just grant his wish to not be a shit salesman anymore and instead he's a cab driver? Either way, it doesn't seem like a big step up for him.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

American Gods

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:59 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Then, you have the Djinn, which is the islamic version of an angel (except Djinn have free will, fun fact), having gay sex. Very against islamic religion.

Speaking of this... Did the Djinn trade places with the salesman guy or just grant his wish to not be a shit salesman anymore and instead he's a cab driver? Either way, it doesn't seem like a big step up for him.

It seems like he passed the gift to him. I have to go back and watch, but it seemed like the Cab Driver's License had his picture on it at the end?
wags83

American Gods

Postby wags83 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:03 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I have to go back and watch, but it seemed like the Cab Driver's License had his picture on it at the end?

I think this is correct. I guess I was more wondering if former salesman/now cabbie is now also a genie or if it was just his wish being granted to no longer be a shit salesman. During the gay sex scene it seemed like he was transferring his genie powers to him, but then in the morning when he found out he's now a cab driver, his eyes were normal and not on fire.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

American Gods

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:05 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I have to go back and watch, but it seemed like the Cab Driver's License had his picture on it at the end?

I think this is correct. I guess I was more wondering if former salesman/now cabbie is now also a genie or if it was just his wish being granted to no longer be a shit salesman. During the gay sex scene it seemed like he was transferring his genie powers to him, but then in the morning when he found out he's now a cab driver, his eyes were normal and not on fire.

Yeah, I was curious about the eyes too, which made me think he wasn't. It's kind of funnier if you think about it as two dudes had sex, and he got a shirt, some sunglasses, and a job out of it. Instead of some holy transfer of power.
wags83

American Gods

Postby wags83 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:08 am

Lolz, I like that theory best.
Tyler
Owner

American Gods

Postby Tyler » Tue May 16, 2017 9:27 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I have to go back and watch

You would...

I was also confused if he took his actual powers or just his job. It looked like powers were entering him, but no glowing eyes at the end.

Wilkins knows more about world religion than I do.

Overall I thought the episode was good, but I am starting to get Bryan Fuller fatigue already. Not everything has to be so so artsy fartsy or zoomed in all the time. I feel like the show is 10 minutes longer than it has to be just so it can look weird.

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I like the leprechaun scenes, whenever he's in the show.

Things are way more entertaining when Mad Sweeny is on screen.

I also really liked watching Mr. Wednesday's heist unfold. I felt kind of bad he was robbing people and not the bank though. Will be harder for those people to get their money back vs an insured bank. Why was the snow necessary? Just adding another level of confusion to the mix?

I can judge a show based on how often I look down at my phone. During The Leftovers I never gaze at it, during some scenes from this I start looking at Reddit.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

American Gods

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:35 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I can judge a show based on how often I look down at my phone. During The Leftovers I never gaze at it, during some scenes from this I start looking at Reddit.

This isn't my favorite show ever, but its entertaining. I remember a lot of tidbits from the book, although most of it seems very random. The artsy stuff is a little silly. Like the car driving through the Marshmallows. I get it, but overall, not necessary.

The characters and the little monologues everyone have are what keep me entertained. I love the random exchanges between even the secondary and tertiary characters. The dialogue is just very well written. The story hasn't really fleshed itself out yet.
Tyler
Owner

American Gods

Postby Tyler » Tue May 16, 2017 9:58 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post The characters and the little monologues everyone have are what keep me entertained.

"Got you marshmallows in your cocoa, you like marshmallows?"
"Why are you talking to me about marshmallows? Like I'm worried about marshmallows... Yeah, I like marshmallows."
takes an appreciative sip
Tyler
Owner

American Gods

Postby Tyler » Mon May 22, 2017 7:04 am

Idk about this show... I didn't need a full episode introducing Laura. They could have shown how destructive she is in half an episode. The show doesn't hold my attention very well when Mr. Wednesday or Mad Sweeney aren't on. Speaking of Mad, was it his lucky coin that pulled Laura away from Death?

Highlight of the episode were Audrey's reactions to seeing her dead friend who slept with her husband. So many great quotes that are too inappropriate to post here.

Biggest complaint of the show? I thought she was calling Shadow Papi, not puppy.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

American Gods

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:32 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post 104
Idk about this show... I didn't need a full episode introducing Laura. They could have shown how destructive she is in half an episode. The show doesn't hold my attention very well when Mr. Wednesday or Mad Sweeney aren't on. Speaking of Mad, was it his lucky coin that pulled Laura away from Death?

Highlight of the episode were Audrey's reactions to seeing her dead friend who slept with her husband. So many great quotes that are too inappropriate to post here.

Biggest complaint of the show? I thought she was calling Shadow Papi, not puppy.

I didnt' care for this episode. I mean, I liked what it was trying to do, but you're right, It could've been 10 min. It was Mad's coin that probably pulled her back from the dead.

The quotes were great lol. That was fun.
wags83

American Gods

Postby wags83 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:16 pm

Yeah it wasn't the best episode. I thought when Laura's stomach was growling she was going to have to eat a person like a zombie, but turns out she just had to poop. I'm wondering where the lucky coin is. It must be inside her so I'm guessing she'll have to be killed by the leprechaun for him to get it back.
Tyler
Owner

American Gods

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:29 am

I haven't watched the newest one and I don't feel like I'm missing out. I'm going to table this show unless I hear from someone (other than wilkins) that it is amazing
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

American Gods

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:52 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I haven't watched the newest one and I don't feel like I'm missing out. I'm going to table this show unless I hear from someone (other than wilkins) that it is amazing

It was a much better episode, and a huge LOL moment between the leprechaun and Laura.
wags83

American Gods

Postby wags83 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:02 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:
Tyler wrote:Source of the post I haven't watched the newest one and I don't feel like I'm missing out. I'm going to table this show unless I hear from someone (other than wilkins) that it is amazing

It was a much better episode, and a huge LOL moment between the leprechaun and Laura.

I enjoyed that too. "You're an asshole, dead wife!"
wags83

American Gods

Postby wags83 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:06 pm

Also, "Grimner" is another name for Odin which the leprechaun called him.
wags83

American Gods

Postby wags83 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:09 pm

And I'm pretty sure Mr. World is the one armed bell hop from Hot Tub Tome Machine.

Return to “Shows”