SyFy Developing Krypton series with David Goyer

Discuss your favorite shows
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:36 am

http://geektyrant.com/news/syfy-develop ... avid-goyer

About a month ago, a rumor was reported that David Goyer was developing a Superman prequel series called Krypton. It looks like those rumors were true, and THR has confirmed that the SyFy Channel is developing the show with Goyer. We even have some plot details!

According to the report, Krypton "takes place years before the Superman legend we know, when the House of El was shamed and ostracized. This drama, which is in development, follows the Man of Steel's grandfather as he brings hope and equality to Krypton, turning a planet in disarray into one worthy of giving birth to the greatest Super Hero ever known."

I love this concept, and I'm really happy to hear that this series is actually happening. This has the potential to be an epic show. I'm really curious to see how they bring the world of Krypton to life on the small screen. Ian Goldberg (Once Upon a Time, FlashForward) is writing the script for the pilot and will also executive produce alongside Goyer.

There are a ton of DC Entertainment projects going on, such as The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl, and Constantine. TNT is also developing a series called Titans. That show will revolve around a group of superheroes-to-be based on characters from the DC universe that includes Dick Grayson, Starfire, Raven, and more.
Tyler
Owner

Re: SyFy Developing Krypton series with David Goyer

Postby Tyler » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:38 am

Goyer wrote the Nolan Batman movies and Man of Steel for those that don't know
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:29 pm

Neat. When I first saw Man of Steel I thought a movie set on Krypton would be neat. Is this supposed to be in the same universe as the movie or completely separate?
awright

Postby awright » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:43 pm

SyFy? I won't say anything more.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:48 pm

wags83 wrote:Neat. When I first saw Man of Steel I thought a movie set on Krypton would be neat. Is this supposed to be in the same universe as the movie or completely separate?

That's a good question. Arrow/Flash are same universe. Gotham is it's own. No show has been linked to Man of Steel/Superman vs Batman. I am guessing they stay independent, plus it's Superman's grandfather so it really doesn't matter?
awright

Postby awright » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:10 pm

I think it's smart to keep the cinematic and TV universes separate...too many differences in the processes of making the two. I think Marvel realized with AOS that the show can allude to the movies but not vice versa. I'm pretty sure Agent Carter will follow a similar philosophy. DC made it pretty clear from the beginning by casting different people for movie roles
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:19 pm

Tyler wrote:
wags83 wrote:Neat. When I first saw Man of Steel I thought a movie set on Krypton would be neat. Is this supposed to be in the same universe as the movie or completely separate?

That's a good question. Arrow/Flash are same universe. Gotham is it's own. No show has been linked to Man of Steel/Superman vs Batman. I am guessing they stay independent, plus it's Superman's grandfather so it really doesn't matter?

As far as characters it doesn't really matter. I was more curious from a production value standpoint. I feel like if it's associated with the movie they might give it the same feel as the movie when they showed Krypton. If not, it might be really, really shitty like a lot of SyFy originals.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:42 pm

My money is on typical syfy look
awright

Postby awright » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:46 pm

I didn't want to go into detail but yeah production value is the big part of it. Also story has to vary a lot more based on the more day to day feel you get with having episodes.

Watchman is still the best DC related movie to date and I don't know if they will top it IMO
Blue Jackets

Postby Blue Jackets » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:57 am

Superman Prequel ‘Krypton’ Gets Syfy Pilot Order, David Goyer Project Taps Showrunner & Director
https://deadline.com/2016/04/superman-p ... 201741635/
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:20 am

Surprised this idea is still on the table. I don't think anyone would care.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:43 am

Still do not care because A) SyFy B) DC's universe is so convoluted
Blue Jackets

Postby Blue Jackets » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:48 am

Krypton SyFy TV Series Promo Leaks Online (and is now gone)

Top comments about it since we can't watch it:
-I'm keeping my expectations low, but it already looks better than a lot of people feared. The cast has a cheesy look to them, but other than that the production looks pretty damn good! I'll bet most scenes are much smaller, darker, and in standard grey-walled spaceship rooms than this trailer would have you think.
-This must be an old promo? DC changed their logo last year.
-The effects look amazing for a TV show but not feeling the main actor. Too young.

Edit: found a mirror of the video
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:18 am

Meh. Still not interested at all. NO WAY does this connect to the film universe.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:25 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Meh. Still not interested at all. NO WAY does this connect to the film universe.

Actually this would increase my interest. Now I don't feel like I'm missing out on something because I haven't watched all the interconnecting movies/shows and read the comics and played the video games and bought the DC branded underwear and shopped at DC approved stores...
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:32 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post Actually this would increase my interest. Now I don't feel like I'm missing out on something because I haven't watched all the interconnecting movies/shows and read the comics and played the video games and bought the DC branded underwear and shopped at DC approved stores...

Haha. I get what you're saying, but DC's TV is already so segmented compared to Marvel

Marvel: 15 MCU movies, Agents of Shield, Netflix Shows, Cloaks and Dagger, Inhumans.
-Legion is the only Marvel property on TV that isn't connected?

DC: 3 movies (soon to be more)
-CW Shows
-Gotham
-Powerless
-Krypton
All different "universes"
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:05 am

Tyler wrote:
I love this concept, and I'm really happy to hear that this series is actually happening. This has the potential to be an epic show. I'm really curious to see how they bring the world of Krypton to life on the small screen. Ian Goldberg (Once Upon a Time, FlashForward) is writing the script for the pilot and will also executive produce alongside Goyer.

I too love this concept. This is the type of concept that craptastic show called Gotham should have been. Seriously, who gives a squat about Bruce after his parents die. Be original, how about we dive into something no media has touched which is Bruce's parents. Let's get to know the quest of Thomas Wayne to help his city. Start with the birth of Bruce and go forward from there. There is some comicbook lore around the time before on Krypton but nothing much on the lives of Thomas and Martha Wayne. I hope Krypton gets it right as Gotham missed the mark totally.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:09 am

I don't remember saying that quote....
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:24 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I don't remember saying that quote....

um... re-read the start of this thread... 3rd paragraph.

Return to “Shows”