Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Black Mirror (modern take on Twilight Zone)

Discuss your favorite shows
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:49 am

Alright, sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo:

In my opinion, the episode ranking goes as follows. 4, 1,6,5,2,3 - With 4 and 1 being overwhelmingly better than the rest.

Episode 1:
► Show Spoiler

Episode 2:
► Show Spoiler

Episode 3:
► Show Spoiler

Episode 4:
► Show Spoiler

Episode 5:
► Show Spoiler

Episode 6:
Before the spoilers, my favorite part about this episode was the very first story with the mesh hat. You'll see. Also, pay attention because the house of criminal artifacts contains a lot of the stuff from Ep 1-5 and also makes LOTS of references to St. Juniper from season 3.

► Show Spoiler
Tyler
Owner

Re: Black Mirror (modern take on Twilight Zone)

Postby Tyler » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:56 am

I'm going to watch this season just because you took the time to type all of this
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:49 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post

Episode 1:
► Show Spoiler

I'm a man of my word so I watched one of these after my VR date night of Bright fell apart

I thought this episode was great! The dude's name is Jesse Plemons (or Meth Damon from Breaking Bad) and I am always happy to see him show up in stuff. He was amazing in Fargo and he was amazing in this. I can't believe McPoyle from Sunny is making a serious career for himself, like you said with West World and now this.

I guess I didn't see it as his conscious getting sucked in, but that makes more sense since he didn't have to do hand controls or anything to move. I think there would be far more fail-safes to keep someone from getting trapped in the "VR", but other than that I thought the episode was a fun ride.

I really liked how he slowly turned into a crazy many. You start off feeling bad for him with the way everyone was treating him, but as soon as he put on the rubber gloves to take out the lid you knew he was insane. Do you think he viewed the people in the game as "real" or NPCs? Like, I don't feel bad about killing a nameless goon in a video game, but he obviously knew it was more real than that when he brought the kid into the game as a form of torture. That was pretty dark even though it was just a digital clone. Did the marketing monster get stuck in the game or did they erase it all by driving through the wormhole?

The ending with him stuck in the game was very Black Mirror, but of course someone is going to check on him before he dies? I guess they did set it up as Christmas so maybe he has no family and he could be stuck there for a week before someone at work missed him, but with his role I am sure people would be trying to contact him with information on the update. Assuming he does live, it is going to be nothing for him to get the DNA from the employees and do it all over again.

I liked Aaron Paul/ Todd from BoJack being the video gamer voice at the end. Was fun since him and Meth Damon were on Breaking Bad together.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:07 pm

Episode 2:
► Show Spoiler

This seemed like a continuation of the episode from s01, except now a specific person can access your memories. I think you're right Chris, if a parent could actually do this they would constantly be watching their kid and the kid would grow up with a lot of trust issues. This episode wasn't nearly as good as the first one, but it held my attention.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:15 pm

Tyler wrote:

Episode 2:
► Show Spoiler

This seemed like a continuation of the episode from s01, except now a specific person can access your memories. I think you're right Chris, if a parent could actually do this they would constantly be watching their kid and the kid would grow up with a lot of trust issues. This episode wasn't nearly as good as the first one, but it held my attention.

The entire season is basically about manipulating or transferring consciousness on some level or another. Except for 5...that just...had literally nothing to do with anything. Episode 6 is the coup de grâce that finally seals everything and...semi ties it together.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:01 am

Episode 3:
► Show Spoiler

I agree this has been the weakest of the 3 so far and I wasn't that impressed with #2 either.
Black Mirror usually has a moral at the end of the story about how technology could be bad some day. What is the moral here? If you kill 3 people and a child a guinea pig's memories will be reviewed and you will go to jail? The kid being blind was silly and only used so the guinea pig would be the big twist, which doesn't even make sense! How will you communicate with the rodent what memory to review and do they even have good enough eyesight for that? So many flaws with the ending.

It was basically the episode of Futurama where Lola had to keep killing to cover up her previous killings.

The plus of this episode was the filming location and cinematography. Iceland? is pretty.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:12 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Episode 3:
► Show Spoiler

I agree this has been the weakest of the 3 so far and I wasn't that impressed with #2 either.
Black Mirror usually has a moral at the end of the story about how technology could be bad some day. What is the moral here? If you kill 3 people and a child a guinea pig's memories will be reviewed and you will go to jail? The kid being blind was silly and only used so the guinea pig would be the big twist, which doesn't even make sense! How will you communicate with the rodent what memory to review and do they even have good enough eyesight for that? So many flaws with the ending.

It was basically the episode of Futurama where Lola had to keep killing to cover up her previous killings.

The plus of this episode was the filming location and cinematography. Iceland? is pretty.

The setting reminded me of the beginning scene of Blade Runner 2049 to be honest. Especially her house. This episode didn't make sense to me at all. The guinea pig extraction could never been done
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Black Mirror (modern take on Twilight Zone)

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:55 am

What would that even look like? Just the digital characters traveling space now that they are free? So just any space show ever? How do you keep it tied to real life without them trying to "escape" every episode?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:20 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
What would that even look like? Just the digital characters traveling space now that they are free? So just any space show ever? How do you keep it tied to real life without them trying to "escape" every episode?

This would be weird. The concept sounds cool, but they'd literally just be trying to escape. Even if they did escape, it's not like they could go back to their lives. Ya know, because they are still there? This would just be a story of them being bumbling idiots and getting called vaguely racist things all day by other players in the lobby and then getting blown up anyway for fun.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:17 am

Episode 4:
► Show Spoiler

[/spoil]

You thought the ending was predictable? Once the guy make the joke of living in a simulation did you assume they were actually just inside a dating app?

I also liked the core concept of living with someone for a set length of time. I couldn't stop wondering about the world though, why did they live in this glass dome? Where did they live before? Are they not allowed to have friends? Do they have jobs here? How do they afford this? What do they do all day? I also thought at the end of the X time the couples could decide if they wanted to be together or not. Not until did they both get "ultimate" matches did I understand that. What happens IRL when you get the ultimate match?

Did they break the simulation or did they ultimately pass a test like the female thought?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:23 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post You thought the ending was predictable? Once the guy make the joke of living in a simulation did you assume they were actually just inside a dating app?

I meant, more specifically, that I knew they would both come off a relationship with the same timings and they would break out of it. Towards the last half, I thought it became pretty obvious as literally no one has jobs or does anything but date. The security guard thing was a bit off-putting too
Tyler wrote:Source of the post I also liked the core concept of living with someone for a set length of time. I couldn't stop wondering about the world though, why did they live in this glass dome? Where did they live before? Are they not allowed to have friends? Do they have jobs here? How do they afford this? What do they do all day? I also thought at the end of the X time the couples could decide if they wanted to be together or not. Not until did they both get "ultimate" matches did I understand that. What happens IRL when you get the ultimate match?

This is what did it for me for predictability. Nobody has any other purpose and nobody questions it, which made it seem to me like a simulation. Plus everyone has unlimited money for activities.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Did they break the simulation or did they ultimately pass a test like the female thought?

This was just passing the simulation. It's meant to be broken out of. The only way to tell if you belong with someone is to FIGHT THE MAN! and escape.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:26 am

Ah gotcha. Thanks.

I want to echo what you said about the chemistry between these 2 actors. They were the perfect couple and so cute together. Amy (I think it was) tried recreating the hand holding spark with all the other matches and she never could.

The best scene was when Amy asked the device to count to 4 and she skipped it. When Amy first commented on skipping stones never being more or less than 4 I knew Frank's theory of a simulation was true, but I wasn't sure how that would end. I was afraid of some kind or Matrix ending but it was actually cute and charming.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:32 pm

Episode 5:
► Show Spoiler

How could you have known it was a teddy bear?! I had no idea what was in the box and really didn't think of it until they showed us at the end. I figured it was some kind of worldly comfort.

I also really liked this episode even though it was just a game of cat and mouse. I thought the design of the robots was very cool and hilarious/terrifying when it started to use the knife. I can't believe the lady put herself in a position where she could have gotten stabbed by it.

Visually great episode overall with a straightforward plot (minus all the unknowns)
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:08 pm

Tyler wrote:
Episode 5:
► Show Spoiler

How could you have known it was a teddy bear?! I had no idea what was in the box and really didn't think of it until they showed us at the end. I figured it was some kind of worldly comfort.

I also really liked this episode even though it was just a game of cat and mouse. I thought the design of the robots was very cool and hilarious/terrifying when it started to use the knife. I can't believe the lady put herself in a position where she could have gotten stabbed by it.

Visually great episode overall with a straightforward plot (minus all the unknowns)
When they first went to the box, it was very light and the camera work and the actors went out of their way to not explain what was in it. When she called and tried telling the kid she tried to get it, I had a feeling it was just a teddy bear

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:35 pm

I liked the mesh feeling hat too, but I thought the husband/wife story was more of a mind fug. I think someone would maybe do it, just excited about getting their loved one back, but it would so quickly turn sour. Putting her into the teddy bear was very unsettling to me, even worse when you realize she was still in the bear at the museum.

I noticed both mini stories mentioned the weather lady being murdered so I figured the thing behind the curtain had to do with that. I liked the reveal that the mom was living in the daughters head and they freed their dad/husband together.

Probably the 3rd best episode of the season.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:49 am

I'm going back and watching episodes that I have missed.

s02e01 - Be Right Back
When a young man dies, his partner finds out that she can stay in touch with him by creating a virtual version of him through his online history

► Show Spoiler
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:06 pm

s02e03 - The Waldo Moment
A failed comedian who voices a popular cartoon bear named Waldo finds himself mixing in politics when TV executives want Waldo to run for office.

I thought this episode was just meh, until you realize it was made years before Trump even announced he was running for presidency. Impossible not to see some of the parrels there. Still one of my least favorite episodes though because the emphasis was on politics, not technology.

I didn't skip s02e02 - White Bear. I mentioned it a couple years ago. It was the first episode I ever watched because of a Reddit comment.

Return to “Shows”