cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Re: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:35 am

Haha, yes. This show is awesome.
Blue Jackets

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:27 am

Watch out, Oprah Winfrey. John Oliver, host of HBO’s Last Week Tonight, outdid TV’s biggest gift giver on Sunday when he forgave nearly $15m worth of medical debt on his show.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016 ... ek-tonight
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:30 am

I read on reddit that he bought the debt for 60k and then forgave it
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:46 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post I read on reddit that he bought the debt for 60k and then forgave it

That makes sense. My first job out of college was for a debt collection place (I worked as a Business Analyst so you can't hate me). They would buy debt from other debt collectors that couldn't collect for literal pennies on the dollar. If they spent 60k on 15 million that is $0.004 per dollar. Crazy.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:47 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post I read on reddit that he bought the debt for 60k and then forgave it

That makes sense. My first job out of college was for a debt collection place (I worked as a Business Analyst so you can't hate me). They would buy debt from other debt collectors that couldn't collect for literal pennies on the dollar. If they spent 60k on 15 million that is $0.004 per dollar. Crazy.

All of these had to be insanely defaulted debt, right? I am not familiar with the industry at all. Like since we are paying our debt ours would be closer to $1:$1 if someone wanted to buy it out, right?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:58 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post All of these had to be insanely defaulted debt, right? I am not familiar with the industry at all. Like since we are paying our debt ours would be closer to $1:$1 if someone wanted to buy it out, right?

I want to watch the segment and see how they explain it all. Does him buying them and essentially canceling them remove the marks from a credit score?

Good question about our current debt. Don't you think some of our debt is actually sold at higher rates since we are responsible and make payments? After 30 years of paying for a house you basically are paying $100k+ more than the original loan because of interest. If a bank was selling that I would imagine they would want more than the original loan or they just break even?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:04 am

I think it had to be seriously delinquent. On top of that, this is debt that probably couldn't be collected on anyway, however the people were still harassed. It's not legal to FORCE someone to collect, but you can definitely coax them on it. Because of that, the debt is cheaper.

There are a couple charities that do something similar with a pay it forward type student loans deal, but their ratio is much worse. These were all medical expenses, which typically don't affect credit scores anyway.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:06 am

I don't know the answers to any of your questions, Tyler.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:30 am

Were the non-important Emmys last night? The "real" ones are next Sunday
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:58 pm

Did anyone else notice the super annoying lady laughing in the audience? Purple_Hayes told me ahead of time so I noticed it this week, but I don't think I would have otherwise.

Also...rashism
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post John Oliver Will Run Ads on Cable News To Educate President Trump

Those commercials were hilarious. There are going to be a lot of people very confused by them who have never watched Last Week Tonight.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:53 am

Start at 15 minutes to see a bit about Des Moines

Here is the Heritage Carousel. Tylersucks, who has lived in DSM area his entire life had never heard of the carousel. Same with Purple_Hayes who lived here a good chunk of his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-4dIImaodQ
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:42 am

To bad they are closed. I bet they would have gotten some good business after this

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Blue Jackets

Postby Blue Jackets » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:33 am

Coal King Sues HBO Over John Oliver’s Show
The late-night comedian aired a pointed segment about miner safety—and predicted the lawsuit that has just been lodged against him.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:09 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post Coal King Sues HBO Over John Oliver’s Show
The late-night comedian aired a pointed segment about miner safety—and predicted the lawsuit that has just been lodged against him.

This is hilarious.

Return to “Shows”