Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Star Trek: Discovery

Discuss your favorite shows
Blue Jackets

Postby Blue Jackets » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:52 am

No Trekkies here?

“Hannibal” creator Bryan Fuller has found his next mission: showrunner and co-creator of CBS’ new “Star Trek” series.

The new series is set to bow on CBS in January 2017, then move to CBS’ All Access digital subscription service. It will be the first original series to launch on a broadcast network but air primarily on an SVOD service.

The creative plan is for the series to introduce new characters and civilizations, existing outside of the mythology charted by previous series and the current movie franchises.

https://variety.com/2016/tv/news/star-t ... 201700606/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tyler
Owner

Re: ‘Star Trek’: Bryan Fuller Named Showrunner of New Series

Postby Tyler » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:26 pm

I can offer no opinion on this, so I asked my coworker for his thoughts:

It's good news. The only previously announced producer was Alex Kurtzman, who wrote such cinematic tours-de-force as the Transformers movies and the reboot Star Trek movies. Between that and CBS making it a flagship series for their streaming service, I wasn't interested in the series.

But Bryan Fuller has credibility. He's written extensively for DS9 (and Voyager, but I won't hold it against him), and created and/or produced Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls (a favorite of mine) and Hannibal. I think he knows what he's doing.

The most requested thing fans want from the new series is "set it in the prime universe," i.e., the one depicted in TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY, not Abrams's alternate reality. That would be my preference, and with Bryan Fuller it might actually happen. But I'm guessing Kurtzman and CBS will want to continue the adventures of the alternate universe. Probably in the same time period, probably ship-based, probably with lots of young and attractive people who can cross over into the movie franchise. If I had to guess they'll be academy cadets or recent graduates who are elite somehow and are dispatched to deal with some dark and vague threat to the imagination. I've never seen the TV show Quantico but I'm guessing it will be Quantico in space.

Alternate universe: Definitely. Young, attractive, ambitious people: Definitely. And that means there will be a grizzled veteran, a Bruce Greenwood type who is tough and hard on his people but secretly cares about and feels responsible for them. And that means probably cadets or an elite strike force of some kind. Serialized stories are the new normal, so that means some kind of mysterious, possibly mythical threat that isn't big enough or tangible enough to throw the whole starfleet at it...yet. So send your elite strike force of young, attractive people, overseen by the tough and grizzled veteran, and give plenty of opportunities for conflict and romance. Bam, new series.

Add a dash of cameos and fresh takes on familiar characters and you can get at least five seasons out of it.
Sarah

Postby Sarah » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:01 pm

I used to watch Star Trek with my dad a lot (mostly TNG, some DS9 and VOY).

I'm not picky though and will give pretty much anything a solid shot - I liked the first Star Trek reboot movie. Especially how they killed off the redshirt, the Doctor, and Zachary Quinto's Spock.

I will almost certainly check this out regardless of which universe they set it in.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:21 pm

TOS is in my queue
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:43 pm

My only Star Trek experience is the newer rebooted movies. I've enjoyed them but don't have anything to compare it to.
Blue Jackets

‘Star Trek’: Bryan Fuller Named Showrunner of New Series

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:18 am

July 18, 2016 - Netflix and CBS Studios International today announced a landmark international licensing agreement for the new “Star Trek” television series. Netflix will be the exclusive premiere home of “Star Trek” in 188 countries (excluding the US and Canada). Each episode of the new series will be available globally within 24 hours of its U.S. premiere.

Additionally, all 727 existing episodes of the iconic “Star Trek” television library – including “Star Trek: The Original Series,” “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,” “Star Trek: Voyager” and “Star Trek: Enterprise” will be available on Netflix around the world by the end of 2016.

In the U.S., the new “Star Trek” will launch with a special premiere episode on the CBS Television Network in January 2017. The premiere episode and all subsequent episodes will then be available in the United States exclusively on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-rele ... -the-world
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:43 am

Sucks for everyone in the US and having to get the CBS subscription service.
Blue Jackets

Postby Blue Jackets » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:54 am

'Star Trek' TV series to have a female lead
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/10/st ... ow_twitter
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:09 am

They talk about this show on Tested every couple of months, it sounds like a real production disaster so far. It was originally suppose to come out next month I think.

Rainn Wilson is in 9 of the first 13 episodes.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:23 am

Tyler
Owner

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Postby Tyler » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:11 am

I wonder if it is because of language or violence. Is Star Trek suppose to be a hopeful show?

Return to “Shows”