bmyoungs

Marvel's Luke Cage (Netflix)

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:45 pm

Tyler wrote:So no one is willing to watch it weekly with me

I thought I replied. Yes I will
Sarah

Postby Sarah » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:28 pm

Episode 1 - so far I really like the music... Like daredevil and Jessica Jones it's hard to understand the first episode cause they throw so much at you but I'm intrigued to see how this Shades dude knows Luke and what their story is. Also hope that auditor/cop lady sticks around - I like her.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:23 pm

Sarah wrote:Source of the post Episode 1 - so far I really like the music... Like daredevil and Jessica Jones it's hard to understand the first episode cause they throw so much at you but I'm intrigued to see how this Shades dude knows Luke and what their story is. Also hope that auditor/cop lady sticks around - I like her.

Does this take place before the events in JJ?
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:23 pm

Very interesting first episode. I enjoyed Luke's first fight it was the perfect amount of, this guy doesn't actually need move to best you're ass, and comedy.
Sarah

Postby Sarah » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:32 pm

Tyler wrote:
Sarah wrote:Source of the post Episode 1 - so far I really like the music... Like daredevil and Jessica Jones it's hard to understand the first episode cause they throw so much at you but I'm intrigued to see how this Shades dude knows Luke and what their story is. Also hope that auditor/cop lady sticks around - I like her.

Does this take place before the events in JJ?

Few months after... Had to google that though so clearly I didn't remember where he was after JJ.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:06 pm

Sarah wrote:Source of the post Few months after... Had to google that though so clearly I didn't remember where he was after JJ.

Interesting. I am sure we will get some kind of origin story during the season
shankspeare

Postby shankspeare » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:05 pm

I've only watched the first episode so far as well, and I totally agree on the music. I really liked that the music genre shifted depended on the tone of the scene, with Jazz during romantic scenes and hip-hop during tense scenes. I'm excited to see what the rest of the music is like, I heard there are a lot of different collaborators.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:22 pm

I watched four last night... It's very good, completely different than its predecessors. Luke cage seems more human and just trying to get by. The origin story is interesting and simple

Up until now, only his past has been an issue. All the people he's facing give no problems. Not sure how they will humanize this to make him defeated, like daredevil and jj were
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:39 pm

I also like that they refer to the first avengers movie as "the incident" and it's shaping how people view vigilantes
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:03 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I also like that they refer to the first avengers movie as "the incident"

I think Daredevil s01 did the same thing.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Marvel's Luke Cage (Netflix)

Postby Tyler » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:00 pm

I read that Netflix was down today for 2.5 hours because of all the Luke Cage traffic
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:01 am

I'm still waiting for him to be in any peril, whatsoever. He always gives the impression that he'll be hurt, but then charges into a building and gets shot 500 times and doesn't really care.

Yes, he has to help other people and THEY can be hurt, but even then, no danger has come to anyone he's cared about.

He has Superman complex, where its hard to relate to someone so ridiculously strong. Daredevil is unique, but definitely killable. Jessica Jones is superhuman strong, but killable.

Luke Cage = Superman. I'm sure the hulk would woop his ass or even captain america, but he's still so far over anyone else's level, that it's no contest.

► Show Spoiler

Right now, the most compelling person is the detective and Claire.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:06 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the postHe has Superman complex, where its hard to relate to someone so ridiculously strong

Disclaimer: I am being a d1k4.

But you misused "Superman complex"
A Superman complex is an unhealthy sense of responsibility, or the belief that everyone else lacks the capacity to successfully perform one or more tasks. Such a person may feel a constant need to "save" others.

I totally get what you are saying though. It is hard to be invested in a character when you can't identify them in any way because they are invincible.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:08 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Disclaimer: I am being a d1k4.

But you misused "Superman complex"
A Superman complex is an unhealthy sense of responsibility, or the belief that everyone else lacks the capacity to successfully perform one or more tasks. Such a person may feel a constant need to "save" others.

I totally get what you are saying though. It is hard to be invested in a character when you can't identify them in any way because they are invincible.

Ugh, I guess. In this case, he has the exact opposite. He's only helping to do right by someone and then plans to 'quit', which obviously won't happen.

Superman curse?!?!? Shut up tyler.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:35 am

I figured out how he can be hurt. Dik4 move dude. That whole exchange between Luke Cage and
► Show Spoiler
was pretty cool. Not nearly as engaging as the Daredevil fight scenes though. Luke cage is just a giant mountain.
Sarah

Postby Sarah » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:07 pm

Are Bradley and I the only ones watching this 1 episode a week??

This week we watched episode 2. Im really enjoying the pace of it so far, a nice mix of character development and action. This episode caught me a bit off guard with Pops.

The music is probably still my favorite part.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Marvel's Luke Cage (Netflix)

Postby Tyler » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:34 pm

I'm sorry Sarah. I told Brad via text that I didn't think I would be watching this for awhile. Wilkins of course binged it.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:17 pm

I haven't started it yet. I still have an episode or two of daredevil to finish.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:28 pm

I finished it. It's...okay. I'll write up why I think it was mediocre soon

Return to “Shows”