Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Big Little Lies: An HBO Limited Series

Discuss your favorite shows
Erin

Postby Erin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:23 am

Ah missed that, good catch.

Do you know how many episodes is in the series? I'm curious how fast they'll progress with the story.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:57 am

Erin wrote:Source of the post Do you know how many episodes is in the series? I'm curious how fast they'll progress with the story.

I assumed 10 because that is HBO's standard, but it looks like it's actually 7.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:04 am

Ziggy is the murderer for sure.
Erin

Postby Erin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:24 am

We watched the 2nd episode last night. It's a little slower moving than I would have thought for being only 7 episodes, but I still like it. I'm really happy with how well the characters are portrayed in relation to the book.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:45 am

Very different relationships among the girlfriends. Surprised Witherspoon has never noticed Kidman's bruises, they seem like the type of people that would be in bikinis a lot together. Was taken back by the Kidman beating turned sex scene, very intense stuff.

Ziggy seems so harmless, but you know who doesn't? The twins! They ripped off the hippos leg. Foreshadowing that they are violent like their dad?

I liked Adam Scott standing up to Witherspoon's old husband (Nathan, I remember a character's name!) and he couldn't even talk back to Scott until he had his back turned and started swearing at him after he left.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:37 am

My guess is that Nathan is the one who gets murdered.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Big Little Lies: An HBO Limited Series

Postby Tyler » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:19 pm

wags83 wrote:My guess is that Nathan is the one who gets murdered.

Interesting! I assumed it would be a mom. I've noticed they haven't done any police interviews with any of the main moms
Erin

Postby Erin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:02 pm

Yeah I really like how well they're getting the characters emotions to be carried out like they were written. The book is written from the point of view of Madeline, Celeste and Jane. Celeste's character especially is spot on- Kidman does a great job of going from the painfully beautiful wife who everyone thinks has the most loving marriage to feeling like the abuse is her fault because she provokes and fights back. She also comments often about how the abuse is always followed by intense love/sex and grievance (the flowers) so she tells herself it's not that bad and as she told Madeline- she kinda likes it.
Erin

Postby Erin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:02 pm

I also like knowing what happens and see everyone's guesses. Don't worry I won't spoil the fun
megatron

Postby megatron » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:07 pm

Corey and I just watched to first 2 today. I feel like they are really painting Jane as the killer. She put a gun under her pillow and she took a knife and stabbed it on the table. I think Ziggy also did choke that girl. I wanted to read the book before watching but now I will have the surprise!
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Big Little Lies: An HBO Limited Series

Postby Tyler » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:17 pm

Erin wrote:Yeah I really like how well they're getting the characters emotions to be carried out like they were written. The book is written from the point of view of Madeline, Celeste and Jane. Celeste's character especially is spot on- Kidman does a great job of going from the painfully beautiful wife who everyone thinks has the most loving marriage to feeling like the abuse is her fault because she provokes and fights back. She also comments often about how the abuse is always followed by intense love/sex and grievance (the flowers) so she tells herself it's not that bad and as she told Madeline- she kinda likes it.

I'm bad with names. Are those 3 Kidman, Witherspoon, Divergent? What about Jurassic Park, she doesn't get a POV chapter?
megatron

Postby megatron » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:20 am

divergent = shailane woodley
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:17 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post What about Jurassic Park

I'm happy to know that you also refer to her in this way.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:24 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post What about Jurassic Park

I'm happy to know that you also refer to her in this way.

She's been showing up in so much stuff lately!
Plus she plays Woodley's mom in The Fault in Our Stars.
Erin

Postby Erin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:58 pm

Renatta (actress from Jurassic Park) is "the perfect career woman who is also a mom." It's not that her character isn't important, it's just the other 3 have more of the secrets that play out in the story.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:24 am

We are fancy and watched the episode "live" last night via HBO Go. The story continues to keep us hooked and I like learning more about the characters. I still don't have Skarsgård figured out. I think it was big of him to admit in therapy that he does get violent, but he still downplayed the incident and said he grabbed her shoulder vs neck. Does he really act out because he's scared Celeste will leave him, or is he trying to manipulate her? The entire scene with them on the couch was very intense I thought.

Jocelyn got soooo freaked out when Jane had her dream about the intruder breaking into her house and shooting him in the head. I figured it had to be a dream sequence since it was happening right after she told Madeline the story of Ziggy's father. That was a very sad story, but kudos to Jane for keeping Ziggy and loving him so much.

A theory I read on Reddit
► Show Spoiler
Erin

Postby Erin » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:26 am

Yeah the therapy scene was very intense. I love the different sides of the Celeste and Perry portrayed in this episode.

Renatta's character is also one I like more than I thought I would in the show. The line "I don't let my guard down all day, let me be a scared mom" was perfect for her. She's one you didn't get to know as well in the book. Her story development here follows her basic traits so well.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:30 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post 103
We are fancy and watched the episode "live" last night via HBO Go. The story continues to keep us hooked and I like learning more about the characters. I still don't have Skarsgård figured out. I think it was big of him to admit in therapy that he does get violent, but he still downplayed the incident and said he grabbed her shoulder vs neck. Does he really act out because he's scared Celeste will leave him, or is he trying to manipulate her? The entire scene with them on the couch was very intense I thought.

Jocelyn got soooo freaked out when Jane had her dream about the intruder breaking into her house and shooting him in the head. I figured it had to be a dream sequence since it was happening right after she told Madeline the story of Ziggy's father. That was a very sad story, but kudos to Jane for keeping Ziggy and loving him so much.

► Show Spoiler

I think he's manipulative. He knows that by going to therapy, its what his wife needs to hear. He also knows that lying about it in therapy isn't going to help him or his situation at all. Downplaying how he grabbed her stops the authorities from getting involve, because I believe therapists can call authorities if they believe you are a danger to others. He just stopped two incidents with one little lie.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:41 am

cwilkins88 wrote:
Tyler wrote:Source of the post 103

► Show Spoiler

I think he's manipulative. He knows that by going to therapy, its what his wife needs to hear. He also knows that lying about it in therapy isn't going to help him or his situation at all. Downplaying how he grabbed her stops the authorities from getting involve, because I believe therapists can call authorities if they believe you are a danger to others. He just stopped two incidents with one little lie.

Edit: he stopped it with a big little lie.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:15 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post A theory I read on Reddit
► SHOW SPOILER

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Return to “Shows”