Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Big Little Lies: An HBO Limited Series

Discuss your favorite shows
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:16 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post he stopped it with a big little lie.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:18 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I think he's manipulative. He knows that by going to therapy, its what his wife needs to hear. He also knows that lying about it in therapy isn't going to help him or his situation at all. Downplaying how he grabbed her stops the authorities from getting involve, because I believe therapists can call authorities if they believe you are a danger to others. He just stopped two incidents with one little lie.

You nailed it I think. I bet we see him get more abusive and crazy, not better.
megatron

Postby megatron » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:20 pm

The theory on reddit was exactly what I said to Corey while we were watching it. But after watching the 4th episode last night they think it's another guy with the same first name. Still possible though since she wasn't positive. I still think it's Celeste's hubby and jane will hear his voice and flip out.

Other thoughts on ep 4:
Omg Madeline and the musical director! I wonder how often they have done this. Adam Scott is so good to her!

Did or did not Ziggy choke that girl?! I just want to know! The psychologist was only like "he doesn't seem like a psychopath but if he was, he's a really good one." Jane has a split second flash of him grabbing her neck, but who knows of that actually happened or if shes imagining it. I think she believes he did it.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Big Little Lies: An HBO Limited Series

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:49 pm

It seems like Madeline and the director have done this before. They mentioned something happening a year ago and it seemed way more serious than just a kiss.

I agree about Ziggy. Is he innocent or a super genius pyschopath? Or maybe the girl is bullying him?

I still think "the theory" is on the table.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:47 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post 104
It seems like Madeline and the director have done this before. They mentioned something happening a year ago and it seemed way more serious than just a kiss.

I agree about Ziggy. Is he innocent or a super genius pyschopath? Or maybe the girl is bullying him?

I still think "the theory" is on the table.

I think the theory is probably whats going to happen, but I think it'll detract from the whole show. Just too coincidental. Single mom due to a rape in a random hotel happens to move to a super rich suburb only to meet the person who did it?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:51 pm

Think smaller. Maybe she only lived a town over and he was there for an anger management seminar. She ended up moving there because she wanted Ziggy to have the best education available.
Erin

Postby Erin » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:13 pm

Madeline and the musical director is a different twist! I wonder how that will play out in the next episodes. I agree Ed (Adam Scott) is such a sweet guy! Also, I wonder when she was talking to Jane and said "I don't want to talk about sex" if she really did mean to be sensitive to Jane or it was pulling on her own dilemmas.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:50 pm

The scenes with Celeste and the psychologist are so intense. So interesting to watch how she is peeling back the layers of that marriage. Their first appointment they said it never gets physical and now Celeste is talking about having a plan for the next time she is hit. You knew when Perry was picking up those Nerf darts that he was going to unleash the beast, but I wouldn't have guessed him suffocating her like that.
► Show Spoiler

Jane realized that the interior desinger is not her raper, right? It seemed like she had to smell him to be sure he wasn't the guy. I think the previous theory still stands.
► Show Spoiler

I feel bad for Ed, but
► Show Spoiler
. Did puppet master's wife hear Madeline confess to having sex with him? People are making such a big deal out of them being in the same car. They were both working on the same project, it doesn't seem that weird to me.

Kind of spoilers about the murder, but not really
► Show Spoiler

Jurassic Park's husband seems like a good dude. Nothing else to say about their story other than he is keeping his calm and doesn't want to accuse anyone of anything without facts.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:08 pm

Tyler wrote:105
The scenes with Celeste and the psychologist are so intense. So interesting to watch how she is peeling back the layers of that marriage. Their first appointment they said it never gets physical and now Celeste is talking about having a plan for the next time she is hit. You knew when Perry was picking up those Nerf darts that he was going to unleash the beast, but I wouldn't have guessed him suffocating her like that.
► Show Spoiler

Jane realized that the interior desinger is not her raper, right? It seemed like she had to smell him to be sure he wasn't the guy. I think the previous theory still stands.
► Show Spoiler

I feel bad for Ed, but
► Show Spoiler
. Did puppet master's wife hear Madeline confess to having sex with him? People are making such a big deal out of them being in the same car. They were both working on the same project, it doesn't seem that weird to me.

Kind of spoilers about the murder, but not really
► Show Spoiler

Jurassic Park's husband seems like a good dude. Nothing else to say about their story other than he is keeping his calm and doesn't want to accuse anyone of anything without facts.

It wouldn't be weird that they were in the same car if they were near the school, but it was at a coffee shop and people saw how frantic he was.

The therapy sessions were awesome, but I hated how they wrapped up the episode at the airport
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:43 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post It wouldn't be weird that they were in the same car if they were near the school, but it was at a coffee shop and people saw how frantic he was.

Idk, I still wouldn't think it was that weird. They are a week away from opening their play that is hated by the city. Wouldn't be shocking to have the director freaking out and visiting the play showrunner while she was having coffee.
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post The therapy sessions were awesome, but I hated how they wrapped up the episode at the airport

That scene was brutal. You think she is going to run away and are cheering for her, but she literally is instead running into the arms of her abuser.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:30 pm

s01e06
The stuff with Celeste and her therapist continues to be some of the best stuff in the show. Those scenes are so intense and emotional. The therapist is so good at her job

I'm glad Jane and Jurassic Park seem to be on the same page now. When Jane explained she took Ziggy to the doctor and got a clean bill of health that convinced JP. Right after that scene it showed one of the twins and his chompers. JP's daughter was bit by someone remember. Seems obvious the twin(s) are her torturer.

Ben stopped Madeline before she could admit to cheating on him, but I think he knows, he just doesn't want to hear it. Was big of Madeline to tell her daughter that, I hope it convinced her that her project is dumb.

I don't want to break my urethra in multiple places. I hope Perry is the one that is killed because he will murder Celeste once she leaves him and takes the boys.

Theory is still on the table!
megatron

Postby megatron » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:03 pm

I was waiting for Jane and perry to finally be in the same room at the play but then he HAD to get his penis whacked...
Agreed the therapist sessions are some of the best scenes.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Big Little Lies: An HBO Limited Series

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:42 am

megatron wrote:I was waiting for Jane and perry to finally be in the same room at the play but then he HAD to get his penis whacked...

Good call, that would have been their first time together. More evidence that he's her abuser since they aren't going to meet until trivia night.

Some people online thought​ Ed was Ziggy's dad, but clearly Jane didn't have that reaction to him at the play.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:45 pm

Tyler wrote:
megatron wrote:I was waiting for Jane and perry to finally be in the same room at the play but then he HAD to get his penis whacked...

Good call, that would have been their first time together. More evidence that he's her abuser since they aren't going to meet until trivia night.

Some people online thought​ Ed was Ziggy's dad, but clearly Jane didn't have that reaction to him at the play.

They are doing so many nods to the thought of Perry and the twins that it's hard to think he's not the father.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:32 pm

Real life therapists love the one on the show
http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2017/03/re ... apist.html
Erin

Postby Erin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:29 pm

Ep 6 did a good job of showing different angles of the characters. Renatta and Jane bonding over wanting the best for their kids, Madeline confessing to her daughter and Celeste starting to take action on getting her own place. There still is so much to wrap up, though!
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:14 am

Erin, you can now spoil all the ways that the show was different than the book.

As for the finale, 107. SPOILERS to follow.

Yep, we were mostly right, but I have other parts of the episode to discuss before the ending!
The show made it clear that the twins have been hearing their dad beat their mom so it didn't come as any surprise that one of the twins was the bully. I kind of wish we could have heard what Max had to say about it, or why he was doing it, but I guess we all know that answer already. "Daddy does that to you so I thought it was okay". Way to go Ziggy for being the one to speak up without actually having to speak.

Who else had their stomach drop down to their feet when Perry told Celeste her property manager called? I was shocked that he played the hurt puppy dog card and didn't threaten to kill her if she left him. That scene had potential to end poorly, but I thought Perry actually handled it well?

I will admit that I read the theory of Perry being Jane's abuser online early in the series, but I think I would have came up with that idea myself before it was revealed this episode. The confrontation between all the ladies and Perry was great. Not a single word was spoken, but all of the ladies could see in Jane's face that she recognized Perry as the guy who raped her. What was Perry's plan then? It was a little hard to follow the action with the way they cut the scenes between the waves crashing. It seemed like he went after Jane and knocked her down and started kicking her, and that is when the other girls start in on him.

I think the major thing we didn't predict was that Bonnie would be the one to give the killing blow. Was anyone else hoping it would be Celeste or Jane? I felt like it would have been more rewarding if Celeste was the one to have done it.

What exactly was their story as to how Perry died? I think they were all saying Perry started attacking and kicking his wife in front of them all, and they didn't try stopping him, he just happened to slip and fall down the stairs on his own and died? It seems weird to me that even if their story was Celeste was fighting back because she was afraid for her life she would be charged with involuntary manslaughter and have to serve some kind of time.

Some loose ends:
-All of the moms that hated each other are now friends because they all went through the same horrible night and want to protect Bonnie. Sure, I can buy that.
-Does Madeline come clean to Ed? I didn't get enough closure to their story. The director's wife will not rest until she ruins Madeline's life it seems like. Does she lay off for awhile since Madeline was just an unofficial accessory to murder?
-Binoculars have to be the lady cop who doesn't believe their story. I don't need a season 2 though, leave it at this.
-Jocleyn pointed out that Trivia Night didn't even have trivia.

Ed: Wow, she is really good
Madeline: Yeah I'm sure the room is full of erections
Ed: *sincere* Yeah
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:27 am

Not gonna read that yet, haven't watched finale.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:57 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Who else had their stomach drop down to their feet when Perry told Celeste her property manager called? I was shocked that he played the hurt puppy dog card and didn't threaten to kill her if she left him. That scene had potential to end poorly, but I thought Perry actually handled it well?

Yes, this was intense. Everything unraveled in one second.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post What exactly was their story as to how Perry died? I think they were all saying Perry started attacking and kicking his wife in front of them all, and they didn't try stopping him, he just happened to slip and fall down the stairs on his own and died? It seems weird to me that even if their story was Celeste was fighting back because she was afraid for her life she would be charged with involuntary manslaughter and have to serve some kind of time.

I think Bonnie doing it instead of anyone else that was getting beaten, just makes it cleaner. She was the only one not being hurt, so its possible attempted murder could've been on the table.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post -Does Madeline come clean to Ed? I didn't get enough closure to their story. The director's wife will not rest until she ruins Madeline's life it seems like. Does she lay off for awhile since Madeline was just an unofficial accessory to murder?

I'm fairly sure he already knew. She tried to tell him and he stopped her. He noticed all the glances, all the weird actions.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:19 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I think Bonnie doing it instead of anyone else that was getting beaten, just makes it cleaner. She was the only one not being hurt, so its possible attempted murder could've been on the table.

That's valid. I'm just thinking as a juror. A husband that beat his wife, raped another women, and was brutally beating 4 other women was pushed down some stairs and accidentally killed by a bystander. "We jury think Bonnie deserves a key to the city".
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I'm fairly sure he already knew. She tried to tell him and he stopped her. He noticed all the glances, all the weird actions.

Agreed, he for sure knows. Does he stay with her though?! It's weird seeing a mom openly talk to her daughter about cheating on her husband, granted it is the daughter's step dad.

Return to “Shows”