Better Call Saul - Season 3

Discuss your favorite shows
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue May 02, 2017 2:36 pm

Watched half of this during my lunch break. It's really interesting to watch how Hector and Gus started off and how they have always been rivals. I really liked watching Gus be super boss to his employees and offered them counseling after the incident.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed May 03, 2017 11:59 am

304 - continued
I think this may have been the best episode of the season.

We are getting a lot of Saul/Mike interactions in this season already. It seems like they are square now? What address did Mike get off Chuck's desk? (Theory belong) Mike tormenting Chuck with the drill was great.

"It was nice to fix something for once."
*Cut to Mike reading a handyman magazine at work*

Classic Chuck arguing to include the cost of the tape.

► Show Spoiler

Law talk:
Courts have ruled that when multiple copies of something exist, the original must be considered the evidence and not copies.
So, Chuck saying that a copy was destroyed (which I'm sure she taped him saying), means that Jimmy didn't destroy evidence (the tape). He'll be able to get away saying the "personal property" he destroyed was the door.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:08 pm

Tyler wrote:

Law talk:
Courts have ruled that when multiple copies of something exist, the original must be considered the evidence and not copies.
So, Chuck saying that a copy was destroyed (which I'm sure she taped him saying), means that Jimmy didn't destroy evidence (the tape). He'll be able to get away saying the "personal property" he destroyed was the door.

First of all, the spoiler is low. Jeez. But he deserves it. Chuck is an asshole.

Second, the multiple copies. You'd think Chuck would know that, but she was pretty sly in prying that out of him.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed May 03, 2017 12:14 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post (which I'm sure she taped him saying)

I almost hope this isn't the case though. They would have the entire plot again, but instead of Jimmy confessing something on tape, it would be Chuck.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 03, 2017 12:31 pm

Tyler wrote:Law talk:

And I believe that Chuck's persistance to be reimbursed the $3.98 for the tape will mean that it was 'personal property' as well. Therefore, will make the tape inadmissable in the case.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:33 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post (which I'm sure she taped him saying)

I almost hope this isn't the case though. They would have the entire plot again, but instead of Jimmy confessing something on tape, it would be Chuck.

Well, Jimmy wins either way. Either he says he made a copy, and plays it in court, making him destroying evidence obsolete, and so no felony. OR, Chuck realizes he's caught, and he never plays the tape, and he gets out of everything except getting mad and kicking a door.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 03, 2017 12:34 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:First of all, the spoiler is low. Jeez. But he deserves it. Chuck is an asshole.

Chuck deserves anything Jimmy can throw at him... he is a smug arrogant douche bag... almost want Mike to take him out... but a bullet to the head would be far to humane.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed May 03, 2017 12:34 pm

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post but a bullet to the head would be far to humane.

I see what you did there Gus.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 03, 2017 12:35 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post but a bullet to the head would be far to humane.

I see what you did there Gus.

Sorry for the grammar error... its 'far too humane'. My bad
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 03, 2017 12:37 pm

Michael McKean is sooo good at playing Chuck, I want to punch him in the face. But its more to the testament of how great of an actor he is than Michael McKean actually being a pumpous ass.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post 304
Watched half of this during my lunch break. It's really interesting to watch how Hector and Gus started off and how they have always been rivals. I really liked watching Gus be super boss to his employees and offered them counseling after the incident.

I don't know if you caught this or not. Read an article this morning that was talking to this episode's writer. Gus wanted Hector to do this. He wants to move Hector's product. Hector's product is... meth.

Found the article:
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/better-call-sa ... 04869.html
Tag

Postby Tag » Tue May 09, 2017 4:46 pm

last night episode was the best yet. I was trying to figure out how Saul was going to get brodie to crack and did he ever. I was pumping my fist when Chuckie was melting down. Saul for prezzy
-Tag
*Formerly known as Slumdog Billionaire

As Pat from Silver Linings Playbook says... "I've got nothing but love for you, brother."
Tag

Postby Tag » Tue May 09, 2017 4:50 pm

So true about Chuck !

I realize that Jimmy is the "bad" guy but since hes main character we root for him but i really don't think he's truly a bad guy. what he did to Chuck was bad no doubt but she EARNED that client and Chuck stole him back he didn't NEED that client he just cant stand his brother..

what are official thoughts on why Chuck hates Jimmy so bad? my thoughts are his parents liking jimmy more (seems so childish) and that he got law degree the "right way" and Jimmy did it the quick way and Chuck doesnt feel he deserves it. IDK i hate chuck so much, which yes just means hes a great actor.
-Tag
*Formerly known as Slumdog Billionaire

As Pat from Silver Linings Playbook says... "I've got nothing but love for you, brother."
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 10, 2017 7:16 am

Tag wrote:what are official thoughts on why Chuck hates Jimmy so bad? my thoughts are his parents liking jimmy more (seems so childish) and that he got law degree the "right way" and Jimmy did it the quick way and Chuck doesnt feel he deserves it. IDK i hate chuck so much, which yes just means hes a great actor.

I believe that Chuck's jealousy over his brother Jimmy is what is at the root cause. Chuck is older, therefore he is looked upon with a higher, stronger sense of purpose, he's supposed to do everything right. But Jimmy is the younger one who gets away with everything. From his stealing from the till as a child to his 'slippin' Jimmy days where Chuck would have to sweep in to clean things up. That resentment builds over time. I think it took a turn for the worse when Jimmy moved into the one thing... the one thing... Chuck had all to himself... the law. I think he resents Jimmy for wanting to be a lawyer like him. In Chuck's mind, Jimmy has ruined everything for him. Jimmy takes everything good and ruins it with his loose moral code. Chuck had one pure thing left... the law and like a typical first born... he covets that one thing all to himself. You see it all the time with siblings... the older one resents younger ones because the younger ones get away with murder when the older one was held so critically. I believe this has a great deal to do with this relationship they have.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed May 10, 2017 7:33 am

Yep. I agree with Tag and Hayes. Comes down to Jimmy is more likable and has been able to get out of things his entire life and that slowly made Chuck resent him.

This was the first episode this season where we only followed one story. The Gus/Mike stuff has been really interesting, but I didn't even think about them during this episode. The court stuff was engaging and I'm glad we got to see it already; I was afraid it would be put off until the end of the season.

Wilkins and I thought it would matter that the destroyed tape was a copy and the the real "evidence" one was still out there. It matter, but not for the reasons we thought. Jimmy wanted the tape played. The tape is damaging to Jimmy, but it also shows he is compassionate to his brother and that Chuck is more unhinged than people think. It was Chuck's intent to explain it was an act, and he was playing up his illness on the tape, but Jimmy was able to prove Chuck's illness is a mental one, not physical. What does this mean for Jimmy though? As they kept pointing out, Chuck wasn't the one who was under investigation, it was Jimmy breaking into his brother's house and threatening him. Will we see more of the court room in future episodes? Jimmy/Kim haven't called anyone to the stand yet, they have only been cross examining.

I really liked the cold open with Jimmy being so support of his brother's new illness. Jimmy has been by Chuck's side since day 1 of EHS. I thought it was neat that Chuck's outburst at dinner started because of a flip phone and a flip phone was his undoing in court.

Was nice to see Huell again. I think this is the 3rd time he planted/pick pocketed people on this show and BB, 2 of them being Jesse?
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 10, 2017 8:03 am

Tyler wrote:Wilkins and I thought it would matter that the destroyed tape was a copy and the the real "evidence" one was still out there. It matter, but not for the reasons we thought. Jimmy wanted the tape played. The tape is damaging to Jimmy, but it also shows he is compassionate to his brother and that Chuck is more unhinged than people think. It was Chuck's intent to explain it was an act, and he was playing up his illness on the tape, but Jimmy was able to prove Chuck's illness is a mental one, not physical. What does this mean for Jimmy though? As they kept pointing out, Chuck wasn't the one who was under investigation, it was Jimmy breaking into his brother's house and threatening him. Will we see more of the court room in future episodes? Jimmy/Kim haven't called anyone to the stand yet, they have only been cross examining.

I think we are done in the court room. I don't believe Jimmy has any one to call. I believe his motive was to get Chuck on the stand and prove that this wasn't really a crime but more of a spat between two brothers that has been blown way out of proportion.

I thought it was interesting that Chuck made it a point to state he was 'play acting' about his severity of this illness, that it was 'theater' right in front of Howard. You have to believe that Howard is wondering how much has been played up this whole time to get him and the firm to do what Chuck wants. I think Jimmy's whole motive was to draw blood on Chuck. People stop believing in Gods when blood has been drawn from them. There is certainly blood in the water that surrounds Chuck. Chuck has been exposed for the mental case he is.

The mental aspect of Chuck's illness is still an illness. But what Jimmy did was lay doubt on the severity of his illness. Can you believe a word Chuck says now about his illness if he was able to have a battery next to him for an hour and 43 min? Plus, Chuck has admitted he uses his illness as leverage to get what he wants.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:30 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Wilkins and I thought it would matter that the destroyed tape was a copy and the the real "evidence" one was still out there. It matter, but not for the reasons we thought. Jimmy wanted the tape played. The tape is damaging to Jimmy, but it also shows he is compassionate to his brother and that Chuck is more unhinged than people think. It was Chuck's intent to explain it was an act, and he was playing up his illness on the tape, but Jimmy was able to prove Chuck's illness is a mental one, not physical. What does this mean for Jimmy though? As they kept pointing out, Chuck wasn't the one who was under investigation, it was Jimmy breaking into his brother's house and threatening him. Will we see more of the court room in future episodes? Jimmy/Kim haven't called anyone to the stand yet, they have only been cross examining.

I think we are done in the court room. I don't believe Jimmy has any one to call. I believe his motive was to get Chuck on the stand and prove that this wasn't really a crime but more of a spat between two brothers that has been blown way out of proportion.

I thought it was interesting that Chuck made it a point to state he was 'play acting' about his severity of this illness, that it was 'theater' right in front of Howard. You have to believe that Howard is wondering how much has been played up this whole time to get him and the firm to do what Chuck wants. I think Jimmy's whole motive was to draw blood on Chuck. People stop believing in Gods when blood has been drawn from them. There is certainly blood in the water that surrounds Chuck. Chuck has been exposed for the mental case he is.

The mental aspect of Chuck's illness is still an illness. But what Jimmy did was lay doubt on the severity of his illness. Can you believe a word Chuck says now about his illness if he was able to have a battery next to him for an hour and 43 min? Plus, Chuck has admitted he uses his illness as leverage to get what he wants.

I don't think the battery really has anything to do with the illness. What's important, is that everyone in the court room established that it isn't a physical illness, but a mental illness. Even his lawyer used the language 'mental illness', which is pretty damming.

It shows that Chuck became unhinged, went to elaborate lengths to tie very loose strands together to tie his brother to a crime that seems completely unreasonable. The fact that the crime actually happened that way is irrelevant, it seems so unrealistic, that it made Chuck seem malicious.

His mental illness at the end, gives Jimmy cause that he was severely worried about his brother, and was just trying to help him.

All of that makes the tape no longer 'evidence', but the recording of a crazy delusion. Unclassifying it, makes it no longer evidence, making it no longer a felony, making the only thing that could possible disbar him, goes away.

All that is left is the misdemeanor of destroying property.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:33 am

Chuck clearly shows that he really does just despise Jimmy too, fueling the brother spat theory.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed May 10, 2017 9:36 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Chuck clearly shows that he really does just despise Jimmy too, fueling the brother spat theory.

Oh yeah. This was really hammered home when Hamlin explained Chuck blocked Jimmy from becoming a partner because it would seem like the firm was favoring family members...even though Hamlin only got his partnership because of his daddy.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:37 am

Fun Fact: I like the word nepotism.

Return to “Shows”