Better Call Saul - Season 3

Discuss your favorite shows
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 21586
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Postby Tyler » Wed May 10, 2017 9:40 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Fun Fact: I like the word nepotism.

Haha. I didn't include that in my post because I had to look it up during the episode and don't feel like I've earned the right to use it yet.
User avatar
purple_hayes
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:20 am
Contact:

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 10, 2017 9:48 am

cwilkins88 wrote:I don't think the battery really has anything to do with the illness. What's important, is that everyone in the court room established that it isn't a physical illness, but a mental illness. Even his lawyer used the language 'mental illness', which is pretty damming.

It shows that Chuck became unhinged, went to elaborate lengths to tie very loose strands together to tie his brother to a crime that seems completely unreasonable. The fact that the crime actually happened that way is irrelevant, it seems so unrealistic, that it made Chuck seem malicious.

His mental illness at the end, gives Jimmy cause that he was severely worried about his brother, and was just trying to help him.

All of that makes the tape no longer 'evidence', but the recording of a crazy delusion. Unclassifying it, makes it no longer evidence, making it no longer a felony, making the only thing that could possible disbar him, goes away.

All that is left is the misdemeanor of destroying property.


I think you are missing the point that Jimmy made with Chuck, he went to great lengths to ask about what it feels like to him and to describe the pain he feels. What Jimmy was able to do was show that his illness is totally mental. It begins to punch body blows at Chuck's well being. This could possibly lead to a point where if Chuck takes down Jimmy, it will in turn take down himself. You already are seeing Howard question Chuck's motives. You saw Howard's response in the court room when Chuck said he was doing 'theater' to upscale his illness. How long does Howard put up with Chuck?

The questions is... is getting Jimmy disbarred worth so much to Chuck, that Chuck is willing to risk everything... creating a Pyrhric victory.

I guess we shall have to wait to see the fallout of the court room until Monday
User avatar
purple_hayes
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:20 am
Contact:

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 10, 2017 9:49 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Chuck clearly shows that he really does just despise Jimmy too, fueling the brother spat theory.


You also have to remember, Chuck believes what he's doing is out of love for Jimmy. That everything will be just fine once he gets Jimmy away from Law.
User avatar
cwilkins88
Top Contributor
Posts: 2396
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:21 pm
Contact:

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:57 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post think you are missing the point that Jimmy made with Chuck, he went to great lengths to ask about what it feels like to him and to describe the pain he feels.


True. I was talking mostly from Jimmy's perspective. Chuck is probably done. Even if Howard gives him the benefit of the doubt, he will have to do something with him from a PR perspective. He flew the coop on this one.
User avatar
purple_hayes
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:20 am
Contact:

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 10, 2017 10:01 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post
purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post think you are missing the point that Jimmy made with Chuck, he went to great lengths to ask about what it feels like to him and to describe the pain he feels.


True. I was talking mostly from Jimmy's perspective. Chuck is probably done. Even if Howard gives him the benefit of the doubt, he will have to do something with him from a PR perspective. He flew the coop on this one.


I did read an article on this mental issue of Chuck's. That it is mental. The pain he feels could be very real but its created from the mind not an allergy. Which is why he feels pain when he sees electronic items and not when they are around without knowing.

I think Howard will give Chuck one last chance to back off. It seemed that way in next week's preview. I wonder if Jimmy makes a deal with Chuck to no longer practice law as a McGill. And we have the birth of Saul Goodman, esq.
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 21586
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Postby Tyler » Tue May 16, 2017 12:35 pm

306 was a fun episode.

Does Jimmy owe Chuck anything? Was Jimmy in the wrong for involving Chuck's ex-wife and then not going over there when Chuck needed help? I can't believe she came to Jimmy for help. It seems to me that Chuck is going to get help finally, but only out of spite to Jimmy. He was testing himself with the battery and I assume calling the doctor to ask for help?

I really like Nacho, but it wasn't cool when he picked up Crazy Eight (right, that's who that is?) just because Hector made that comment. Hector better leave his dad out of this, but he won't, and Nacho will poison his pill?

I like that Jimmy listened to the vest from last episode and bought the fish a big tank.

Just last week the Bald Movie BCS podcast was saying they wouldn't be surprised if Lydia showed up soon. Boom, there she was this week.

Did anyone feel let down by the first appearance of Saul Goodman? I love that it was a goofy character and very cheesy, but I would have liked to see Jimmy say it for the first time and watch how he came to that name.
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 21586
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Postby Tyler » Tue May 16, 2017 12:39 pm

Now I want to poke some holes in the timeline.
We got confirmation this episode that BCS is in 2001. 1966 bottle of scotch + 35 years
(fun fact, that bottle cost $20k back then).

Breaking Bad starts in 2008. We still have 7 years until the two shows meet up with each other.

In BB, Mike's grand daughter appears to be 8. By this logic she should be a new born in BCS, but she looks 8.
Jesse is a recent HS student in BB, let's assume 20. Jesse would currently be 13 in BCS and couldn't show up in a cameo.
User avatar
cwilkins88
Top Contributor
Posts: 2396
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:21 pm
Contact:

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:09 pm

Tyler wrote:306 was a fun episode.

Does Jimmy owe Chuck anything? Was Jimmy in the wrong for involving Chuck's ex-wife and then not going over there when Chuck needed help? I can't believe she came to Jimmy for help. It seems to me that Chuck is going to get help finally, but only out of spite to Jimmy. He was testing himself with the battery and I assume calling the doctor to ask for help?

I really like Nacho, but it wasn't cool when he picked up Crazy Eight (right, that's who that is?) just because Hector made that comment. Hector better leave his dad out of this, but he won't, and Nacho will poison his pill?

I like that Jimmy listened to the vest from last episode and bought the fish a big tank.

Just last week the Bald Movie BCS podcast was saying they wouldn't be surprised if Lydia showed up soon. Boom, there she was this week.

Did anyone feel let down by the first appearance of Saul Goodman? I love that it was a goofy character and very cheesy, but I would have liked to see Jimmy say it for the first time and watch how he came to that name.

Eh. He was rushed. He did say briefly how he came by the name. "is'all good man."

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 21586
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Better Call Saul - Season 3

Postby Tyler » Tue May 16, 2017 10:07 pm

We've always known Saul Goodman was short for that. I want to see the exact look on his face when he utters those words for the first time.
"I can't do the commercial" - HS kid
"It's all good man, I can do it. Just need a new character. It's all good man... It's all Goodman... It Saul Goodman"
User avatar
purple_hayes
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:20 am
Contact:

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 17, 2017 7:36 am

Tyler wrote:Did anyone feel let down by the first appearance of Saul Goodman? I love that it was a goofy character and very cheesy, but I would have liked to see Jimmy say it for the first time and watch how he came to that name.


I don't know if I was let down. I expected it would happen once he wanted something different to sell ad space. We have had the flashback to his slippin Jimmy days where he used the name of Saul Goodman, like you know... its all good man. Don't you think it would be redundant to have him tell the story again?
User avatar
cwilkins88
Top Contributor
Posts: 2396
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:21 pm
Contact:

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:47 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Hector better leave his dad out of this, but he won't, and Nacho will poison his pill?

I think so. That's messed up to even ask, even for a drug lord?
User avatar
purple_hayes
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:20 am
Contact:

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 17, 2017 8:05 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Now I want to poke some holes in the timeline.
We got confirmation this episode that BCS is in 2001. 1966 bottle of scotch + 35 years
(fun fact, that bottle cost $20k back then).

Breaking Bad starts in 2008. We still have 7 years until the two shows meet up with each other.

In BB, Mike's grand daughter appears to be 8. By this logic she should be a new born in BCS, but she looks 8.
Jesse is a recent HS student in BB, let's assume 20. Jesse would currently be 13 in BCS and couldn't show up in a cameo.


Vince Gilligan has stated that Better Call Saul begins to take place in 2002, the events of Breaking Bad takes place between Walt's 50th (2008) and 52nd (2010) birthdays. Now, I know when I talk about bottles of bourbon that have aged, once I get to a point I use the easy numbers like the 5s and 10s. So, even though it would have been a 36 or 37 year old bottle of scotch/bourbon, I would have said like 35 or like 40 year old bottle. I'm not saying you are wrong, just don't know if that is a good measure of time since you ballpark the age.

The point you make about the granddaughter is very intriguing. I know the writers have tried to keep everything honest and within a certain scope, but that one is baffling because you are correct, from memory I want to say his granddaughter looks like she is 8 years old in Breaking Bad. I don't remember if she is shown on the show or not. I really need to rewatch Breaking Bad.

I know you can't put Aaron Paul in the show now but I always thought it would be fun down the line to have Saul Goodman represent Jesse in court on some bogus charge while Jesse was in high school. I know Aaron doesn't look like he ages so you could make it work. I can't remember who introduces Walt to Saul. I thought it was Jesse who had dealings with Saul from the past, but again... I need to rewatch Breaking Bad.
User avatar
purple_hayes
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:20 am
Contact:

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 17, 2017 8:08 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Hector better leave his dad out of this, but he won't, and Nacho will poison his pill?

I think so. That's messed up to even ask, even for a drug lord?


I don't know if it was brought up in earlier chats or not... but anyone else notice that the guy who plays Nacho is the guy who plays the bad guy, Vos, in the video game Far Cry 3?

We know Nacho is a big thinker, he does things outside of the family and knew that Tulo was hurting the business with his drug habit. You have to believe he sees the writing on the wall with Gus and will switch to Gus's side.
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 21586
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Postby Tyler » Wed May 17, 2017 12:02 pm

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post We have had the flashback to his slippin Jimmy days where he used the name of Saul Goodman, like you know... its all good man. Don't you think it would be redundant to have him tell the story again?

I admit I don't remember this at all.
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 21586
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Postby Tyler » Wed May 17, 2017 12:04 pm

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post Vince Gilligan has stated that Better Call Saul begins to take place in 2002, the events of Breaking Bad takes place between Walt's 50th (2008) and 52nd (2010) birthdays. Now, I know when I talk about bottles of bourbon that have aged, once I get to a point I use the easy numbers like the 5s and 10s. So, even though it would have been a 36 or 37 year old bottle of scotch/bourbon, I would have said like 35 or like 40 year old bottle. I'm not saying you are wrong, just don't know if that is a good measure of time since you ballpark the age.

2001/2002, same thing. I didn't realize Gilligan confirmed it was 2002. That would have saved me hours worth of math.
User avatar
purple_hayes
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:20 am
Contact:

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 17, 2017 12:20 pm

Tyler wrote:2001/2002, same thing. I didn't realize Gilligan confirmed it was 2002. That would have saved me hours worth of math.


In 'Uno', the first episode, Jimmy receives a check for his work dated May 13, 2002. Had to look it up.
User avatar
purple_hayes
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:20 am
Contact:

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 17, 2017 12:22 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post We have had the flashback to his slippin Jimmy days where he used the name of Saul Goodman, like you know... its all good man. Don't you think it would be redundant to have him tell the story again?

I admit I don't remember this at all.


Season 1 or 2, he flashed back to where he found his friend laying in an alley all drunk... has a fake Rolex on. He gets the guy to howl like a wolf. In the walk over to the alley, he tells him his name of Saul Goodman and where it came from. Anyway, he later tried to pull the trick one more time and his friend passed from heart attack, and that is where he got his pinky ring.
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 21586
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Postby Tyler » Wed May 17, 2017 12:26 pm

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post He gets the guy to howl like a wolf. In the walk over to the alley, he tells him his name of Saul Goodman and where it came from. Anyway, he later tried to pull the trick one more time and his friend passed from heart attack, and that is where he got his pinky ring.

Ahhhhh. Thanks. I no longer have a compliant with the episode. They should have included this in the "previously on" segment.
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 21586
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Postby Tyler » Tue May 23, 2017 9:12 pm

307
I'll post my full write-up later, but I wanted to get this thought out.

At what point will we see Jimmy create this commercial?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSyT-GvoAcA
User avatar
cwilkins88
Top Contributor
Posts: 2396
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:21 pm
Contact:

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:32 pm

Tyler wrote:307
I'll post my full write-up later, but I wanted to get this thought out.

At what point will we see Jimmy create this commercial?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSyT-GvoAcA

Is this the furniture store commerical he just shot? They only showed him filming the end

Return to “Shows”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests