Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Discuss your favorite shows
Tyler
Owner

Re: 13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Tyler » Sat May 26, 2018 9:46 am

Yep, that all sounds horrible. How does a 2 time rapist get off scotch free?

I really hope there aren't HS's like this in the country. Individual elements I can believe happen, but not everything at once.

Clay getting caught with the gun is so dumb.
Kath525

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Kath525 » Sat May 26, 2018 4:15 pm

Tyler wrote:Yep, that all sounds horrible. How does a 2 time rapist get off scotch free?

I really hope there aren't HS's like this in the country. Individual elements I can believe happen, but not everything at once.

Clay getting caught with the gun is so dumb.

Turns out he’s a multiple time rapist. He literally gets 3 months probation. It’s so fucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjroz

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby cjroz » Sun May 27, 2018 2:35 pm

Just finished the season. Here are some of my hot takes:

1. There is definitely an attitude this season about responding to the public's opinion on why season 1 was bad. Hannah making the tapes and competing suicide as a method of "revenge" is sort of tackled head on, and honestly it needed to be. The show takes the view that it jump started much needed conversations about suicide and mental illness, which I do think happened. One of my biggest complaints about season 1 was the sort of glorification of suicide and downplay of suicidal individuals. As somebody who has talked suicidal individuals down and seen them after uncompleted attempts, that was truly disappointing because I don't think many people would agree that revenge is the motive. I honestly feel like it doesn't do justice to depression and other mental illnesses that often times lead to suicide attempts and completions.

2. In episode 12 we see a little commentary about the "me too" movement that I think was really great. One thing both this season and last season did well, and honestly probably one of the only things done well, was that it hit spot on the meaning of consent. They have examples about how no answer Is no, how consent isn't guaranteed if it has been given in the past, and how intoxication in any capacity is also not consenting. They highlighted multiple scenarios of assault and I think that was important because it isn't a universal experience, including the whole story line about how it is the victim's story to tell. I, like Kathryn, was pretty dissapointed that Jessica didn't say anything during her testimony, and neither did any of the other girls who testified. I ended up being a guy who played the "brave" role, and not a female who was assaulted.

3. Bryce getting 3 months is a LITERAL representation of the rich athlete whose life will be ruined by a bad decision AKA the Brock Turner assault case where he got released after 3 months.

4. One thing that always gets forgotten about is the fact that men and women can both be victims of sexual assault, so while I wish the Tyler rape scene didn't happen, cause it was really messed up too, it was relevant in showing a male example of sexual assault.

5. I'm really happy a school shooting didn't happen cause this show would've rightfully been destroyed by the media for dramatizing yet another serious topic, especially given the number of shootings recently and the potential glorification of mass shooters. But Kathryn is right about the build up, and I was on edge watching every episode because of said build up. I mean the final episode starts on 4/18, two days before the anniversary of Columbine, and ends on 4/20. But no shooting happens and the almost-mass-murderer gets off. He is also a white male which I'm sure has been talked about somewhere on the Internet. I'm also kind of disappointed that the show made him end up bad despite doing treatment. I think it sends the wrong message and basically says "nothing can stop this stuff from happening" and that bad people will always be bad people.

6. Next season will surely talk about the opioid crisis and the tie to heroin use due to it being financially easier to obtain than pills. Super sad story line, but it does continue the show's tendency to follow current topics of discussion in the media, though it does so at like a C grade vs. OITNB and handmaids tale doing amazing jobs.

7. More on medication- I actually liked Skye's role for one reason, that being her view on medication and its importance in the treatment of mental illness. I feel like I hear A LOT about distrust of doctors and the pharmaceutical industry in the treatment of mental illness, and this attitude that you can just "mind over matter" everything. To hear a character flat out state that her meds are important AND that it is a process to find the right combo was pretty cool. Otherwise her role was pointless, which is a bummer cause I really liked her and all of her edginess.

8. There were multiple guy on guy kissing scenes which isn't common. Most homosexual scenes in Hollywood are girl on girl. So kudos for that.

9. Clay sent an e-mail with all 13 tapes attached and I don't claim to be a computer expert, but that doesn't seem possible. I know, this is stupid to complain about, but whatever.

10. These kids have way more tattoos than any high school kid I've ever seen.

11. I'm happy the school wasn't held responsible for Hannah's death because I don't think they should've been held responsible. The trial was honestly really messed up because it just made teens reveal a lot of their sex lives in a public manner, and at the end of the day i think he show just ended up almost slut-shaming in the process. But fuck Bryce for getting off after 3 months of probation AND getting to play sports at a new school.

12. Bryce's girlfriend being pregnant is dumb, but I also sense some foreshadowing about a potential plot line involving women's choice.

13. Sorry I just had to do it.

cwilkins88
Top Contributor

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby cwilkins88 » Sun May 27, 2018 4:17 pm

cjroz wrote:

13. Sorry I just had to do it.

*Slow clap*

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: 13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Tyler » Sun May 27, 2018 4:40 pm

Longest post by a new member ever! I'm so proud.
Kath525

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Kath525 » Sun May 27, 2018 6:32 pm

Tyler wrote:Longest post by a new member ever! I'm so proud.

Guys. This gal is legit.

Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: 13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Tyler » Sun May 27, 2018 7:00 pm

Kath525 wrote:
Tyler wrote:Longest post by a new member ever! I'm so proud.

Guys. This gal is legit.

Oh yeah, way smarter than most of us. We'll probably inadvertently run her out.

Return to “Shows”