Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Discuss your favorite shows
Blue Jackets

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Blue Jackets » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:22 am

Follows teenager Clay Jensen, in his quest to uncover the story behind his classmate and crush, Hannah, and her decision to end her life.

Out this Friday. Based on a book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JebwYGn5Z3E
Tyler
Owner

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:35 am

Jocelyn was talking about wanting to watch a new Netflix show that is coming out, I think this is it. So hard to stay on top of all of these shows dropping.
SleepyChimera

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby SleepyChimera » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:54 am

... I thought the title to this thread was "13 Reasons Why I Netflix" .... so I was very confused to see that it was a trailer... I was like "That's very cocky of Netflix to make a show about why people use their services"
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:39 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Jocelyn was talking about wanting to watch a new Netflix show that is coming out, I think this is it. So hard to stay on top of all of these shows dropping.

If they are all Iron Fist quality, I'll probably stop watching them.
Tyler
Owner

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Tyler » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:56 pm

We've watched 4 of them over the weekend.

Synopsis so far. A highschool girl killed herself and instead of leaving a note she left 13 cassette tapes explaining the events that led up to her death. Each tape covers a person in her life and someone she partially blames. The tapes were dropped off at the house of tape #1 subject and he is suppose to listen to them all and then pass them to the next person.

The show focuses on one of the later person and he is trying to uncover the mystery of her death by listening to the tapes and talking to the people that are including on the tapes. The mystery has me hooked, but the story isn't without its flaws. I am really confused by who is the target market for this show. It's a serious subject matter and there is some adult language, but 20% of the show is about typical HS dumb drama. I'm not sure if it is suppose to seem realistic because that's the stuff high school students focused on, are if it is in there to appeal to a younger audience.

Examples of this 20% silly drama I would be okay without:
-The most stereotypical "frat boy". Captain of the football team. Polos. Letterman jacket. Rich parents who are in the Alps. Pool house where he spokes bongs.
-A guy is mad at his girlfriend for not having sex with him. He writes on a piece of paper that she has the worst ass in school as a way to get back to her. This is a HUGE point of the show and so stupid
-The stereotypical tough guy Hispanic student that drives a muscle car. Basically Weevil 2.0 from Veronica Mars.
-Boys being boys. Let's wrestle and take off our shirts whenever possible.
Tyler
Owner

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Tyler » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:36 pm

Forgot to say one of the dumbest things from 104
► Show Spoiler
purple_hayes

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:16 am

cwilkins88 wrote:[
If they are all Iron Fist quality, I'll probably stop watching them.

I'm in the middle of ep4 and this show's quality far surpasses Iron Fist. Its addicting. I would put it on the level of Stranger Things and the OA. After you finish one episode, you want to watch the next.
Tyler
Owner

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:57 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post I would put it on the level of Stranger Things

That seems like a little too much praise. I think the performances from the kids in Stranger Things surpass most of the acting done in this show, and they are 20 year olds pretending to be in High School. I think the story telling in Strangers Things had better pacing too. I understand their are 13 tapes to listen to and 13 episodes, but there is a lot of fluff in some of the episodes.
Tyler
Owner

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:59 am

Something that is kind of cheesy but is actually super effective...
There show is about 50/50 flashbacks and present day. The main character got into a bike accident in the very first episode and got a huge gash on his forehead. It's easy for the audience to know quickly if what they are watching is a flashback or current. Does Clay have a huge bandaid covering half of his face? No? Flashback. Yes? Current.
purple_hayes

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:01 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post I would put it on the level of Stranger Things

That seems like a little too much praise. I think the performances from the kids in Stranger Things surpass most of the acting done in this show, and they are 20 year olds pretending to be in High School. I think the story telling in Strangers Things had better pacing too. I understand their are 13 tapes to listen to and 13 episodes, but there is a lot of fluff in some of the episodes.

Was speaking more on the level of the writing AND the level addiction you get from watching it.
Tyler
Owner

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:09 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post
Was speaking more on the level of the writing AND the level addiction you get from watching it.

Gotcha. I can get on board with that. It is still a 9.1 on IMDB with nearly 9k votes.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:40 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post

Gotcha. I can get on board with that. It is still a 9.1 on IMDB with nearly 9k votes.

I've seen five now. It's enjoyable. Honestly, TWD could learn something about actually using flashbacks to show character development, even if it is about angst.
Tyler
Owner

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:32 pm

Watched 6 and 7 tonight. Clay is going legitimately insane. He is having having visions of things that aren't real and people saying things they didn't. He needs help. The Marcus and Zach stories were frustrating. Hannah knows that whole group of friends are jackbutts, why try dating each of them one by one? Only one left is Bryce. I am going to assume Bryce is tape 13 since he hasn't heard them yet and that Clay is tape 12.

Another prediction
► Show Spoiler
purple_hayes

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:16 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post . I am going to assume Bryce is tape 13 since he hasn't heard them yet and that Clay is tape 12.

You are wrong...
► Show Spoiler
purple_hayes

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:27 am

I was so addicted to this show that I finished it in two days. This show is exceptionally done. Its powerful and gripping. One could easily tear apart this show for many different reasons... why did she keep going back to the jocks? Seems stupid but as she was so alone, she just wanted to fit in, would be my guess. You can talk about the acting and portrayal of the events, but honestly I think you'd lose out on the powerful message that this show is trying to bring with the telling of this story. The show is not perfect so I understand if you critique it. The show is very well done.
Tyler
Owner

Re: 13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:56 am

Zach's tape of 7 was the first time we got confirmation that Hannah is lying or misremembering things. The subjects of the tapes keep saying things like "what if Clay listens and believes it all. Hannah is lying", but we haven't seen any proof of this until now. Did Hannah think she saw Zach throw away that note in the hallway, or did she deliberately lie about it? If she did lie, why?
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: 13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:56 am

purple_hayes wrote:
Tyler wrote:Source of the post . I am going to assume Bryce is tape 13 since he hasn't heard them yet and that Clay is tape 12.

You are wrong...
► Show Spoiler

Shame on me for clicking! But that makes total sense.
purple_hayes

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:01 am

Tyler wrote:Shame on me for clicking! But that makes total sense.

I wanted to give you the choice. It doesn't detract from the message, story, or power of the show at all.
purple_hayes

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:06 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Zach's tape of 7 was the first time we got confirmation that Hannah is lying or misremembering things. The subjects of the tapes keep saying things like "what if Clay listens and believes it all. Hannah is lying", but we haven't seen any proof of this until now. Did Hannah think she saw Zach throw away that note in the hallway, or did she deliberately lie about it? If she did lie, why?

If listen in the beginning, I believe Hannah says that this is her story. This is how she perceived the events that led up to her making the decision she made. So far, you have seen that she perceived that Clay wasn't interested but he completely was from the beginning. So the note... She perceived he dropped the note but that wasn't reality, it wasn't a lie... it was a mispercetion. Keep watching... the plot continues to thicken.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:48 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Zach's tape of 7 was the first time we got confirmation that Hannah is lying or misremembering things. The subjects of the tapes keep saying things like "what if Clay listens and believes it all. Hannah is lying", but we haven't seen any proof of this until now. Did Hannah think she saw Zach throw away that note in the hallway, or did she deliberately lie about it? If she did lie, why?

If listen in the beginning, I believe Hannah says that this is her story. This is how she perceived the events that led up to her making the decision she made. So far, you have seen that she perceived that Clay wasn't interested but he completely was from the beginning. So the note... She perceived he dropped the note but that wasn't reality, it wasn't a lie... it was a mispercetion. Keep watching... the plot continues to thicken.

I just finished 7. Misremembering things makes sense. It also would increase a persons paranoia and wanting to end your life. If you think everyone is INTENTIONALLY after you, its much different than a misunderstanding.

Return to “Shows”