Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Discuss your favorite shows
purple_hayes

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby purple_hayes » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:47 am

Tyler wrote:11. No real shocker that Clay didn't actually do anything horrible to Hannah. The worst thing he did was leave when Hannah told him to leave.

One thing that confuses me. Justin, Marcus, etc kept telling Clay he couldnt let the tapes be leaked because Clay was also on them. Was that them just trying to scare Clay? Clay's tape was nothing compared to the other ones. He should WANT the tapes to be public.

I think that this was all about how the teenage mind works. Teens blow small things way out of proportion. They get hung up on the crap that happens in high school. At the time, it seems huge but in all reality, nothing you do in high school really matters. Many of these kids did nothing illegal, but react as if they plotted to assassinate the President. Did they treat a fellow classmate bad? Yes. Are they guilty of being bad friends/humans? Yes. Only two or three did anything illegal. One was owning up to it by the end.
purple_hayes

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby purple_hayes » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:03 am

Tyler wrote:They introduced some new things which I assume will go to a season 1. I was hoping they would wrap it all up, but the Tyler stuff and even Bryce will have to carry on to a new season. I am curious how the book ended and if there were more of them.

There are rumors of a second season. Some I have talked to that have watched the show hope they don't do a second season as leaving it as an unknown and letting the viewer decide what is going to happen is their preferred method. I enjoyed the characters, would love to see how they move on from this and the repercusssion of the events in the first season. So many stories to tell beyond the Hannah suicide.
Tyler
Owner

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:09 am

I kind of hope they leave it at 1 season. This school had a kid get in a car accident and die, a girl killed herself after being raped and bullied, another girl was raped by the same guy, and then another student shot himself in the head. I do not want school shooting added to this list.
purple_hayes

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby purple_hayes » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:44 am

Tyler wrote:I kind of hope they leave it at 1 season. This school had a kid get in a car accident and die, a girl killed herself after being raped and bullied, another girl was raped by the same guy, and then another student shot himself in the head. I do not want school shooting added to this list.

I couldn't agree more. There is some obvious pain in this school. I hope they don't move forward with a school shooting.
Erin

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Erin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:47 am

I ended up binge watching the season yesterday and this morning Tyler you were right- the story does hook you in even though the angst is irritating at times. The story was well written about how a victim of bullying can feel like everyone is against them. I see it was mentioned before, but it was "her version" so not necessarily lies, but different perception. I'm glad in the end that Sherry came forward and that Tony shared the files with the Bakers.

It was a good season that moved quickly and kept you wanting to continue watching. While they left it open, I agree season 2 with a school shooting would be a bit much.
Tyler
Owner

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:11 pm

Good reminder from Hayes and Erin that this is how Hannah perceived things, her version might not have been the absolute truth from us looking into her life, but it is how she thought things were happening. At times I caught myself thinking "Come on...why is she doing this" or "She's delusional, that isn't what's happening". It is impossible to fully put yourself in someones shoes and experience things the same way they do, that was the point of the tapes.

Hannah may have put herself into situations that she shouldn't have, but that could be said about almost all teenagers. Should I have been driving my friend's mom's Suburban over a dirt ramp? No, but I wasn't thinking of the consequences at the time. Should Hannah have kept dating boys from the same jock circle? No, but every time it seemed like the boy was sincerely into her and wasn't just going to try using her for his own pleasure.

I was reading Reddit more about the counselor because that scene was hard for me to decipher. The counselor asked Hannah if she said no or stop during the assault, and I swear during that scene she made it clear to Bryce she didn't want to have sex and I thought she told him no/stop at the beginning. Hannah wasn't willing to tell the counselor Bryce's name and because of that there was little he could do about it. Of course he couldn't promise that he would go to jail and Hannah would never have to see him. Reddit was mostly upset about how his best advice was "get over it". I do not think he was that blunt about it, but a lot of people took that from the scene. I think he wanted to help, but he didn't know how. Hard to say who was in the wrong when Hannah left his office and he didn't come after her offering more help. And let's be honest, he seemed like a relatively young counselor, he doesn't have the training or experience on how to handle a delicate situation like Hannah's.
purple_hayes

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby purple_hayes » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Tyler wrote:I was reading Reddit more about the counselor because that scene was hard for me to decipher. The counselor asked Hannah if she said no or stop during the assault, and I swear during that scene she made it clear to Bryce she didn't want to have sex and I thought she told him no/stop at the beginning. Hannah wasn't willing to tell the counselor Bryce's name and because of that there was little he could do about it. Of course he couldn't promise that he would go to jail and Hannah would never have to see him. Reddit was mostly upset about how his best advice was "get over it". I do not think he was that blunt about it, but a lot of people took that from the scene. I think he wanted to help, but he didn't know how. Hard to say who was in the wrong when Hannah left his office and he didn't come after her offering more help. And let's be honest, he seemed like a relatively young counselor, he doesn't have the training or experience on how to handle a delicate situation like Hannah's.

She says 'Bryce, please' as she is trying to get out of the hot tub. At the begining, she says 'I must be going' and Bryce stops her. She doesn't say no, nor does she say stop, nor does she scream. In no way shape or form am I blaming her for what happened to her, rape is awful and she was raped. But unfortunately the rules for schools, correct me if I"m wrong, is that they need a name. He says to her, if you aren't able to face your attacker nor name him, the best thing is to move on. He is a senior and will be gone in a few. Its tragic what happened, but what was he supposed to do? Twice she pushed someone away who was trying to help, hoping that they would follow after her she told them to leave or left him. Really? I get teens don't make sense but come on.

By the way, we can stop all this from happeneing... if you check the date of the depositions, its Nov 2017. We can find Hannah now and stop her before this summer.
Tyler
Owner

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:35 pm

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post By the way, we can stop all this from happeneing... if you check the date of the depositions, its Nov 2017. We can find Hannah now and stop her before this summer.

We noticed that too. I wonder what their reason for future dating it was.
wags83

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby wags83 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:33 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Should I have been driving my friend's mom's Suburban over a dirt ramp? No, but I wasn't thinking of the consequences at the time.

It worked in a Chevy S10 it should work in a Suburban.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:48 am

Alright. So I finished the show, and I liked the pacing and the storytelling of it all.

The spoiler scene that tyler talked about has heart-wrenching. It was hard to stomach. I love how it played out, but I'm not hoping for a Season 2. If they did something with Clay and how he moves on in college, and gets over stuff, that'd be different, but I don't want a second season of 13 reasons why, in the form of a photo album or something similar.

I loved the storytelling, and after you get over the teen angst (compared to other shows Janelle watches, this was very tame), I thought it was very well done.

I do have a few gripes though:
1) That was beyond fucked up how she played with Clay like that
2) She basically played a game on whether or not someone would chase her to not get to her to do it (with the guy from tape 13). She took the tape recorder in there, and propped it up. She was 100% already planning on doing it, and just wanted it to be another persons fault.
3) Everyone with the minor grievances, would never in a million years, cover for the rapist - this was a little hard to believe

I loved the Veronica Mars vibe though.
Tyler
Owner

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:55 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post She basically played a game on whether or not someone would chase her to not get to her to do it (with the guy from tape 13). She took the tape recorder in there, and propped it up. She was 100% already planning on doing it, and just wanted it to be another persons fault.

This was odd to me too. I think I already said it in this thread, but twice she told guys (Clay and counselor) to leave her alone/drop it, and then she got mad at them on the tapes when they did what she asked them to do.
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Everyone with the minor grievances, would never in a million years, cover for the rapist - this was a little hard to believe

Right?! Yes, I can see how stop sign girl doesn't want to come forward because her actions led to a peer being killed (again, I think they would have checked his blood for booze). Zach and poem guy though, their Hannah "crimes" seemed so harmless compared to what Bryce did. At worst poem guy didn't see the poem as a call for hope, but like he said, all teenagers right stuff like that because teenagers are moody and awful.
Tyler
Owner

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:02 am

What about when Clay took a picture of Tyler's butt and sent it to his friends. When Tyler got to school his peers thought the best way to tease him was by mooning him. Don't these butts all cancel out and their is no longer anything to be embarrassed by?
Jock: Hey Tyler, I saw your butt. OMG you should be so embarrassed
Tyler: You literally just mooned me.
*end of teasing*
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:11 am

Tyler wrote:Right?! Yes, I can see how stop sign girl doesn't want to come forward because her actions led to a peer being killed (again, I think they would have checked his blood for booze).

I'm pretty sure they do autopsy's on anyone in a driving accident to confirm that.
purple_hayes

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:20 am

cwilkins88 wrote:I'm pretty sure they do autopsy's on anyone in a driving accident to confirm that.

In this case, they probably wouldn't do an autopsy but would check BAC. With the bottles and cans in the front seat, it was a pretty open and shut case. I do find it ironic that knocking down a stop sign in the middle of no where automatically causes the death of a fellow student. This place truly has the worst luck. If they do move to a second season with Tyler shooting up the school, what would they do for an encore... create an Amityville type house in town or some create from IT lives in the sewers. This is the most depressing small town. One thing my wife did point out was that tragedies like these do come in waves. Where one event can set off several others.
Tyler
Owner

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:22 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post what would they do for an encore... create an Amityville type house in town or some create from IT lives in the sewers

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The actor who plays Clay is in the Goosebumps movie. I can only assume they are in the same universe and that happens next.
purple_hayes

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:27 am

cwilkins88 wrote:I loved the storytelling, and after you get over the teen angst (compared to other shows Janelle watches, this was very tame), I thought it was very well done.

I do have a few gripes though:
1) That was beyond fucked up how she played with Clay like that
2) She basically played a game on whether or not someone would chase her to not get to her to do it (with the guy from tape 13). She took the tape recorder in there, and propped it up. She was 100% already planning on doing it, and just wanted it to be another persons fault.
3) Everyone with the minor grievances, would never in a million years, cover for the rapist - this was a little hard to believe

Agreed on the storytelling, the characters seemed deep and believable.

1. you have to remember... you are seeing glimpses of her life with Clay. Clay is socially awkward, he wouldn't pick up on her drama like others would, and wouldn't fall into her mind game. She was doing normal teenage girl stuff, but like she says, she doesn't realize she likes Clay until around Valentine's Day.

2. yeah, she played a game. but do agree, she was planning on killing herself the whole time. once her mind was made up, it was over. She never once showed signs to the parents like say I'm sad or ask for help. Granted, with the issues of money, they may not have seen, but she never reached out to them. Only signs you can get are her being withdrawn and change of look.

3. teenage minds don't think like everyone else's. it was the team's job to keep Bryce clean. that was the atmosphere he laid out. Plus, they couldn't put the causation together to understand that the rapes were bigger than their BS. So they thought they would ALL get in trouble when the only two who broke the law were Sheri and Bryce.
purple_hayes

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:30 am

Tyler wrote:The actor who plays Clay is in the Goosebumps movie. I can only assume they are in the same universe and that happens next.

I mean seriously. I get you wanted to paint a gloomy picture around this suicide. But man... you aren't shining any kind of light on this school for hope of a better day. It just seems like once they get over the death of Jeff, you have Hannah's suicide which leads to the school being investigated, and the tapes lead Tyler to do something horrible along with Alex shooting himself, if that is what he did. Zach could have shot him. Who knows. About the only thing you have left is a poltergeist or something.
Erin

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Erin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:52 pm

There is a 30min segment with the cast and crew talking about why they made this series and how they interpreted scenes and characters. I watched about half of it so far. One area that they highlighted is the conversation with Hannah and the counselor- how they both are at fault in some ways. Hannah wasn't able to give a name or the information needed to take action because of her trauma, and the counselor didn't elicit further to connect her with other resources and the "he will be graduating soon" comment to blow it off. Tough scene to watch for sure.

I'm still confused about Tony's character. How was he connected as a confidant for Hannah? Beyond the comment that "I'm the only boy that never tried to grab her ass", there wasn't much portrayed about their friendship. Also- how/why did Mrs. Baker reach out to Tony? I may have missed those connections.
Tyler
Owner

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:16 pm

Erin wrote:Source of the post I'm still confused about Tony's character. How was he connected as a confidant for Hannah? Beyond the comment that "I'm the only boy that never tried to grab her ass", there wasn't much portrayed about their friendship. Also- how/why did Mrs. Baker reach out to Tony? I may have missed those connections.

Those are all really good questions. I am assuming after Hannah killed herself Tony went to Mrs. Baker and said something like "I was a good friend of Hannah's (even though you never met a single one of her friends). Please do not hesitate to call me if you need anything or need someone to talk to you". I do agree there wasn't much evidence of Hannah and Tony being friends.

I'll have to watch the 30 minute making of special.
purple_hayes

13 Reasons Why | Netflix

Postby purple_hayes » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:33 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Erin wrote:Source of the post I'm still confused about Tony's character. How was he connected as a confidant for Hannah? Beyond the comment that "I'm the only boy that never tried to grab her ass", there wasn't much portrayed about their friendship. Also- how/why did Mrs. Baker reach out to Tony? I may have missed those connections.

Those are all really good questions.

I assumed that Tony is connected to the parents as he is the one who showed up to the scene of Hannah's suicide. He began to feel obligated to help them as he saw her drop off the box and felt guilty not talking to her because of her self-centered drama issues but did nothing. Also, I felt there was more to Hannah and Tony's relationship that wasn't in the tapes. The tapes are the events that Hannah perceived to lead her to the decision she made. She could have talked to Tony nearly every day about what was going on in her life but we don't know as the tapes only cover a certain periods in the year not the year as a whole.

Return to “Shows”