Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Sharp Objects - HBO Mini-series

Discuss your favorite shows
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:00 am

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post I don't get why she has all those small bottles? It is funny how she just pours vodka into a used water bottle. Now every time I see someone drinking a bottle of water I will wonder if it's really just vodka...
cwilkins88 wrote:This show is dark. Amy addams is a drunk. That's basically what this first episode is

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Easier to conceal maybe.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:00 am

Episode 2: Oh bless your heart. Enough said.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:14 am

s01e01
Amy Adams was drinking in the pilot episode? I must have missed that. /s

First episode has me hooked. There are so many mysteries I'm sucked into already.
-How did Camille's little sister die?
-What is going on with the missing/dead girls? Was that girl found in the ally the girl that was missing?
-Why is Camille covered in scars that spell words?
-Is Camille crazy or just a drunk with a vivid memory?

The show is very eerie and unsettling. A lot is happening in flashes, words appearing, "ghosts" in the house, etc. I don't think the show is going to be super-natural, but it easily could be by the end.

Amy Adams is a national treasure. So good so far.

Sophia Lillis is perfect casting for a young Amy Adams. I also get hints of Scar-Jo in her. Fun fact: Jessica Chastain is playing an older Sophia Lillis in the IT part 2.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:07 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post -What is going on with the missing/dead girls? Was that girl found in the ally the girl that was missing?

Yes. They actually say that at some point in the episode.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post -Is Camille crazy or just a drunk with a vivid memory?

They don't mean to imply she's crazy. Shes just remembering all of it while she's back. Just really cool way of directing it and showing the flashbacks.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:41 am

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post I don't get why she has all those small bottles?

My tv podcast explained that it's pretty common for alcoholics to drink from those little bottles. They can try convincing themselves that they aren't an addict because they are only drinking from a little bottle. Of course, that doesn't make sense when they are buying the little bottles in bulk.

Do you think Camille is a recent alcoholic? No alcoholic has ever looked as good as Amy Adams does in this. I am sure they just don't want her to go full Charlize Theron from Monster, but they didn't really try making her look bad at all.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:24 am

s01e02

The plot didn't move forward as much, but learning more about the characters and the town. I thought it was interesting that during a flashback we saw Adora (mom) favorite the younger sister over a short haired Camille. So something happened to Camille in her youth that made her cut her hair (we've seen her hair once, when she was in a cheerleader uniform being chased in the woods). After whatever event caused the drastic hair change, her mother didn't look at her the same way. I assumed their bad relationship started after the funeral, but it was before that.

Camille is beyond damaged goods. When she put that needle under her fingernails. Damn.

Adora is just the worst person ever. Made me sick how she was checking herself out in the mirror before heading to the funeral. It was just an excuse for her to look "cute". Also, when she offered to help Camille cut the apple and then immediately made the maid do it. She sucks. Speaking of that, Adora probably knows about Camille's cutting. The maid seemed to be putting all the knives away.

Camille's boss is for sure dying. He had a bad cough last episode, this episode he had a a dozen pill bottles on the the table and his wife saying he can't take this on right now.

Eden from Handmaid's Tale is the girl that is shown for split seconds. She's the one that was standing in Camille's room for that frame and then gone. Those things really trip me out.

Theory. I didn't read the book or ask Jocelyn about this, but don't read it.
► Show Spoiler
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:54 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Theory. I didn't read the book or ask Jocelyn about this, but don't read it.
▼ HIDE SPOILER
But the line about Camille being old enough to be Amma's mother is interesting. I could see Camille having been raped and having a child. Her mom took the baby as her own. Adora does seem really old to be a mother of a teenager

I think this is exactly right.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:32 am

Agreed
cwilkins88 wrote:
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Theory. I didn't read the book or ask Jocelyn about this, but don't read it.
▼ HIDE SPOILER
But the line about Camille being old enough to be Amma's mother is interesting. I could see Camille having been raped and having a child. Her mom took the baby as her own. Adora does seem really old to be a mother of a teenager

I think this is exactly right.

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:10 am

s01e03

Holy sheet that ending when Camille's rehab friend kills herself and Camille immediately starts cutting herself with the bolt. That was unsettling.

I feel like the show is trying to confuse you now. A lot of weird cuts/edits that show characters doing things out of order.

No longer hiding it in spoiler tags. It was basically said this week that Amma is Camille's kid. Amma saying Camille can pretend to be her mom while they were on the bed together. If this ends up being true it won't be shock because they are hinting at it so heavily. Amma is also a real B this episode, just a dumb kid trying to look cool in front of her friends.

Adora continues to be the worst. *cuts herself on a rose* "Look what you did!"

Confused by the end with step dad. Why was he biting his hand and then screaming outside? I assume because he hates his wife because she is awful. He tried being nice to her and wanted to sleep in the same room as her but she said no.

Something fishy about the cheerleader girlfriend. She seems too mature and composed for someone her age.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:21 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Holy sheet that ending when Camille's rehab friend kills herself and Camille immediately starts cutting herself with the bolt. That was unsettling.

This was so hard to watch. She's going to be the new Sean Bean.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Amma is also a real B this episode, just a dumb kid trying to look cool in front of her friends.

Yeah, but she's also a B when they are just home alone. She clearly knows it's her mom and just wants to be a part of her life, but also being an angsty teen.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Confused by the end with step dad. Why was he biting his hand and then screaming outside? I assume because he hates his wife because she is awful. He tried being nice to her and wanted to sleep in the same room as her but she said no.

It's hard to always act like the perfect person, have someone adore you, and still have someone be completely neutral towards you.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Something fishy about the cheerleader girlfriend. She seems too mature and composed for someone her age.

I thought she was college-aged based on the way she acted in the driveway, but then she was all weird and cheerleady when they went to the house.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Sharp Objects - HBO Mini-series

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:13 pm

Have you noticed the MC Escher upstairs. Doesn't make sense to me how it works.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:46 pm

104. Almost a week late, but we finally watched. Surprised to see no one else posted about it. Random thoughts in no order.

So Amma hung out in the shed with the 2 victims, how is this now just coming up? This totally feels like Hot Fuzz where everyone in town is guilty.

Such a confusing ending. Of course Amma isn't actually dead, but so many images were thrown up and you weren't sure what was real or not.

Camille's boss for sure has cancer. Looked like chemo this episode.

Adora continues to be just the worst.
Camille talking about the rose bush accident: It's just a scratch
Adora" Maybe to you!
F you mom. Calling out your kid's self harm addiction.

Alan seems too obvious to be the killer. Detective says the killer is someone who wants power. We all know Alan has zero power in Adora's house.

Blood under the cheerleader's/brother's bed?!
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:32 pm

I felt like this week's episode did nothing to answer the questions I had at the end of the last episode...

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:29 am

s01e05

Another great episode. The entire festival was soooo tense even though nothing really happened until the end. I loved all the threads going on between all the characters, even the minor ones. Such as, the little boy who claims he saw a woman in white take the girl (back in ep 1 or 2) he is shown yelling and running away from the cheerleader girlfriend who is wearing white. Does he recongize her or just scared of everyone in white?

Adora has to be top 3 worst mothers on TV. She is a horrible person. My blood was boiling when she made Camille try on those dresses and then you saw her black shirt being pulled off the dressing room door. What a horrible mother to expose her damaged daugther like that and then say "it doens't matter, you're ruined". At the end of the episode you think Adora is going to apologize and start trying to be a decent person, but no, “I never loved you... I hope that can be a comfort to you.” Also so twisted with how pleased she was with watching Amma act out that horrible scene on stage. I don't know how it would happen, but I hope the show ends with Adora dying horribly. Jocelyn also pointed out that Camille isn't in the magazine picture. It is just Adora and the other daughter. She didn't even pretend to like Camille when they were younger.

Jackie basically confirmed that Adora and the sheriff have a past. Alan last week seemed very bothered by Adora and the cop talking in the house, but Jackie said "Those Crellin girls do like their boys with badges". I thought maybe Adora was just leading on the sheriff so she could use him, but maybe it's more 2 way than I thought. Could he be Camille's father? Probably not.

Jackie in general is a mystery. She doesn't seem offended by the article like everyone else in town. She even came up to Camille to tell her that her mother is in the house with the dective. It seems like Jackie and Adora use to be very close friends, but they aren't as close now.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:49 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Such as, the little boy who claims he saw a woman in white take the girl (back in ep 1 or 2) he is shown yelling and running away from the cheerleader girlfriend who is wearing white. Does he recongize her or just scared of everyone in white?

She is sketchy. I'd say she did it, but it would be too easy. She says she "knows things", so maybe she knows the Adora did it or something. She's awful enough.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post What a horrible mother to expose her damaged daugther like that and then say "it doens't matter, you're ruined". At the end of the episode you think Adora is going to apologize and start trying to be a decent person, but no, “I never loved you... I hope that can be a comfort to you.”

I don't know how she wasn't slapped right in the face there.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post It seems like Jackie and Adora use to be very close friends, but they aren't as close now.

All of the friends, adults and/or kids, have weird relationships. It would be fitting if they had some popularity hunger games going on here.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:08 am

s01e06

I've said this for other shows (The Leftovers, Handmaid's Tale) but I could not ever binge watch this show. The entire thing stresses me out and 90% of the time nothing ends up happening, but the tension that something could happen is almost always there.

I was very mad when Camille went back to her mother's. The night before her mom told her to her face that she never loved her, but Camille returns in the morning after her night with Richard. No reasonable person would go back into that house, but I have to remind myself that Camille is not a reasonable person. She is a very damaged person who does not use logic the way I would expect an adult to. She proves this many times this episode.

Such as...when she got in the car with those teenage boys! No! And then took Oxycontin. No! And then took Ecstasy. No! Is any part of Ama a good kid? She is insane. I was scared she was trying to drug up Camille to do something bad to her, like show her friends the scars or something. Camille is trying so hard to impress Ama and Ama craves her attention.

Confirmation of what happened in the woods with the football team and the music teacher (Kirk). Poor young Camille. I think that was also after her sister died, so she was already in a bad place. Kirk does seem sincere about his apology. I believe that it has haunted him for years and he needed the closure but Camille wouldn't give it to him. He was also the one to leave the bar early in the season when the boys were harassing Camille. He couldn't take it.

Richard looking into Camille's past. Fair use of police resources or crossing a line just to learn about his new girlfriend?

At this point I would be shocked if Camille didn't end up being Ama's mother. The whole point of the ex cheerleader mom scene was to talk about how they are mothers so they understand the lost of a child more. What they don't know is that Camille is also a mother and experienced her own loss when Adora claimed Ama as her own.

Adora is always the worst and Alan is a sleezeball.
“I believe she’s outstayed her welcome.”
“You’ve been more than tolerant dear.”
“Thank you. Be sure to let her know how you feel about it.”

3 more things about how suspicious Adora/Alan are. When Richard found out Camille's sister died of a sickness he asked if an autopsy was performed. Would Adora or Alan poison their own kid? I could see Alan doing it because he was tired of his kid getting all of Adora's love and attention. I could see Adora doing it because she wanted her precious child to always have to depend on her.

2nd. Alan told the story of how Adora is the victim. She had a really hard mother and went through a lot as a child (first off, fugg you for not realizing Camille is now Adora in that story). He said that Adora's mother would check on her in the middle of the night to make sure she was okay by pinching her. Adora's mother could then look like she was caring, but her real intent was to just hurt young Adora. How does this episode end? With Adora checking on Camille in the middle of the night. Was Adora there to do something awful to Camille?
(I'm really proud of myself for thinking of this and not reading it on Reddit. #HumbleBrag)

3rd. Adora said to Alan "Camille has overstayed her welcome" and then later "I see you didn't take care of it". We all assumed she was talking about the car in the grass, but what if it was more evil than that? Alan said "you always were better dealing with the girls". What if he is talking about dealing with the now dead girls? Are Adora and Alan talking about killing Camille? Probably not, but their conversation could be understood that way
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:10 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Such as...when she got in the car with those teenage boys! No! And then took Oxycontin. No! And then took Ecstasy. No! Is any part of Ama a good kid? She is insane. I was scared she was trying to drug up Camille to do something bad to her, like show her friends the scars or something. Camille is trying so hard to impress Ama and Ama craves her attention.

Everyone in this town is a trash-person.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post 2nd. Alan told the story of how Adora is the victim. She had a really hard mother and went through a lot as a child (first off, fugg you for not realizing Camille is now Adora in that story). He said that Adora's mother would check on her in the middle of the night to make sure she was okay by pinching her. Adora's mother could then look like she was caring, but her real intent was to just hurt young Adora. How does this episode end? With Adora checking on Camille in the middle of the night. Was Adora there to do something awful to Camille?

I always thought Alan was just a quiet husband who was walked all over by his wife. But he is really just as big of a POS as everyone else.

I have a feeling that Adora and Ama have something to do with those dead girls, pretty explicitly. It's like anyone who crosses Adora gets the axe. "you want to find out what happened to natalie. Ask your mom" "do you ever feel like something bad is going to happen to you and you can't do anything about it?" Adora was a 'mother' figure to Natalie and she's dead. Ama is a little shit beast and she is going to end up dying by her hand, because she embarrassed her.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:27 pm

2 episodes left and I'm not fully convinced of anyone! Adora, Ama, Jackie. Everyone knows more than they are sharing.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:51 am

s01e07

Confirmed that Adora is killed Camille's sister and she is doing the same to Ama.
Does this make her the killer of the other 2 girls? John King said Adora cared for those girls, but we know now that "caring" for someone is actually her way of torturing them to make her feel like a better person. Slowly poisoning and cold blooded murder are very different things though. Also disturbing how Adora wanted to play doctor on her grown daughter. She dressed Camille in a little girl nightgown and had all of her "toys" out and ready to patch her up. When did Camille even twist her ankle? I assume skating, but she didn't fall last week?

That was terrifying when Adora was biting the baby. What baby was that? I assume Ama, but the only person we see who is missing an ear like that is the John's cheerleader girlfriend.

As for the cheerleader, she is such a shotty person to throw John under the bus just because Vickery said it would make her famous and a hero. She will do or any anything to be in the spotlight.

John and Camille in the hotel room together may have stressed me out more than anything else on this show. You KNEW Richard and Vickery were going to catch them. Camille is literally twice his age I bet. Good on her for opening up and letting herself be vulnerable like that...but maybe not to an 18 year old just because he is hauled to jail by your (no longer) summer fling detective
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:10 am

This whole time, I've thought that the cheerleader was working with Adora, but it seems maybe it's not the case, but who knows. Originally, I thought these girls were proteges of Adora, and that Natalie crossed Adora, so she asked cheerleader to help. Natalie bit off Cheerleaders ear, and that's what caused the pulling of the teeth to be more brutal

OR

to hide the records that she was bit in the first place.

Now, it seems to just be all Adora. I'd be surprised if Allen-jerks-on-anal bum covers didn't have some spidey sense about it too.

Return to “Shows”