Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Arrow on The CW

Discuss your favorite shows
ejhartman91

Re: Arrow on The CW

Postby ejhartman91 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:58 pm

I'm caught up. Still watching because I watch flash and legends of tomorrow and don't want to miss crossover awesomeness.

I like Arrow still, and the end of the latest episode added a nice twist.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:19 am

I suffer through new episodes of Arrow. I have an extremely hard time believing Laurel takes out 3 ninjas at a time after doing 30 min Tae Bo VHS tape. I mean seriously, wrong casting if you wanted Laurel to take on the mantel of Black Canary. Katie Cassidy is a girly girl, who looks more like some one who complains bout fashion than some about to take on Rhonda Rousey. What's with that black canary screech thing she does? It seems to make her look useless than to what it's supposed to and that is stun someone cuz any thug she uses it on is like 'what was that?' Instead of dropping anything and covering their ears in pain. Laurel is ruining the show for me.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:24 am

purple_hayes wrote:I suffer through new episodes of Arrow. I have an extremely hard time believing Laurel takes out 3 ninjas at a time after doing 30 min Tae Bo VHS tape. I mean seriously, wrong casting if you wanted Laurel to take on the mantel of Black Canary. Katie Cassidy is a girly girl, who looks more like some one who complains bout fashion than some about to take on Rhonda Rousey. What's with that black canary screech thing she does? It seems to make her look useless than to what it's supposed to and that is stun someone cuz any thug she uses it on is like 'what was that?' Instead of dropping anything and covering their ears in pain. Laurel is ruining the show for me.

Yeah I agree that Laurel's character seems like dead weight now with the exception of her connection to captain Lance. She should have just kept being the DA and left team arrow alone.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:32 am

Agreed, she was much better as the DA and a possible love interest on the show. I haven't read the comic so I don't know if it's cannon for her to be the Black Canary or not. Or if it's cannon for John to run around with the Judge Dredd helmet. Can't wait until he says 'I am the law'. The first 3 seasons or so we're so powerful for a CW show. Just seems they using Arrow now to launch new shows.

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:16 pm

purple_hayes wrote:Agreed, she was much better as the DA and a possible love interest on the show. I haven't read the comic so I don't know if it's cannon for her to be the Black Canary or not. Or if it's cannon for John to run around with the Judge Dredd helmet. Can't wait until he says 'I am the law'. The first 3 seasons or so we're so powerful for a CW show. Just seems they using Arrow now to launch new shows.

Black Canary cannon is hard to follow through all the different ages of comics. Do both Dinah Laurel Lance (as she is called in the comics) and Sara play Black Canary during the run? I guess it really doesn't matter.

I do know that Diggle is not a comic character, well he is now in the Arrow comic, but the Arrow character did not exist in DCU until the show. I also got a strong Judge Dredd vibe though.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:28 pm

The Green Arrow cannon is hard to follow as the character mimics Batman too much so I wonder if that is why wasn't as popular?

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:52 pm

Tyler wrote:
purple_hayes wrote:Agreed, she was much better as the DA and a possible love interest on the show. I haven't read the comic so I don't know if it's cannon for her to be the Black Canary or not. Or if it's cannon for John to run around with the Judge Dredd helmet. Can't wait until he says 'I am the law'. The first 3 seasons or so we're so powerful for a CW show. Just seems they using Arrow now to launch new shows.

Black Canary cannon is hard to follow through all the different ages of comics. Do both Dinah Laurel Lance (as she is called in the comics) and Sara play Black Canary during the run? I guess it really doesn't matter.

I do know that Diggle is not a comic character, well he is now in the Arrow comic, but the Arrow character did not exist in DCU until the show. I also got a strong Judge Dredd vibe though.

I can't find anything about Sara being the black canary or the white canary.... Just Dinah Lance and the Dinah Laurel Lance. The white canary has a totally different origin from what I can find.

Laurel was always the less bad ass sister in my opinion, I wouldn't have been upset if they ignored the DC canon and just kept Sara as the canary and Laurel as the DA.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:08 pm

Yeah, I read a similar canon for Black Canary as you have, and agree leaving Sara as the Canary while Laurel is the DA. It's an unusual take on the character as the comic has it as a mother/daughter duo instead of sisters like on the show.

I do find it funny that Oliver is supposed to be rich but it's his sister and girlfriend who have the money. Ollie is a huge mooch. I know the Green Arrow loses his money in the comic too. Just funny how he's portrayed on the show. A deadbeat brother/boyfriend who fights crime while the girls pay for it.

purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:07 am

Okay, I've tried to get caught up from the mid-season break and I just can't do it. I hate the writing of this show. It used to be dark and gritty but now is more like all the other crap on the CW. I can not take the Felicity Smock character anymore. She used to be strong, independent but now is this ball of uncertainty and I hate it. Unless someone tells me the next few episodes get way better, I have to stop watching, it's to hard to watch.

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:34 pm

purple_hayes wrote:Okay, I've tried to get caught up from the mid-season break and I just can't do it. I hate the writing of this show. It used to be dark and gritty but now is more like all the other crap on the CW. I can not take the Felicity Smock character anymore. She used to be strong, independent but now is this ball of uncertainty and I hate it. Unless someone tells me the next few episodes get way better, I have to stop watching, it's to hard to watch.

It doesn't really get any better. This season has been incredibly lackluster.
Sarah

Postby Sarah » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:01 pm

This week's fight scenes were so. So. So. Bad. At one point some guy slams his own head into a table.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:16 am

Yeah, I agree they were pretty bad... I do like that they finally made Dark vulnerable though. I thought they were never gonna have a chance against him.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:51 am

From r/television

There is such a backlash in /r/arrow over the character 'Felicity', that the sub had to create a megathread for users to funnel all of their anger towards (which is currently at over 500 comments)
https://www.reddit.com/r/arrow/comments ... iscussion/

the focus on Felicity has been so big that even the action choreography felt goofy af in the last episodes.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:40 am

Is Laurel actually dead? I don't watch the show anymore and part of that is because of her character. Are they just going to bring her back like they did her sister? If she was gone gone I would consider watching the show again.
Sarah

Postby Sarah » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:15 pm

Tyler wrote:Is Laurel actually dead? I don't watch the show anymore and part of that is because of her character. Are they just going to bring her back like they did her sister? If she was gone gone I would consider watching the show again.

I stopped watching cause I was too annoyed... I'll have to catch up and see what's going on just in case she's really dead.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:13 pm

I thought all the hate was towards Felicity...?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:33 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:I thought all the hate was towards Felicity...?

I think all the current hate it towards her (based on Reddit) but I haven't liked Laurel from the beginning.
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:03 pm

Caught up last night. Wow, never thought they'd kill off Laurel. I wonder if somehow they'll use Dhark's Idol to bring her back...seems plausible haha
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:53 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Caught up last night. Wow, never thought they'd kill off Laurel. I wonder if somehow they'll use Dhark's Idol to bring her back...seems plausible haha

Is it 100% confirmed she is dead? Coworker said they just kind of show her flat-lining, but not dying. Or they are faking her death so Dhark doesn't go after her?
ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:55 pm

Tyler wrote:
ejhartman91 wrote:Caught up last night. Wow, never thought they'd kill off Laurel. I wonder if somehow they'll use Dhark's Idol to bring her back...seems plausible haha

Is it 100% confirmed she is dead? Coworker said they just kind of show her flat-lining, but not dying. Or they are faking her death so Dhark doesn't go after her?

They pronounced her dead at 11:59 (that's the episode's title)

Return to “Shows”