Owner

Poll: The Office vs Parks and Rec

Postby Tyler » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:33 pm

Who wins and why?
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:42 pm

Tyler wrote:Who wins and why?
Parks and rec start to finish was so much more cohesive. The first 5 seasons of the office would win but after that it went off the edge.

My list is 30 rock, parks and rec, office

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Artukka

Postby Artukka » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:52 pm

I haven't done a full viewing of The Office but I think I've seen most episodes. I watched Parks & Rec as it aired and enjoyed it a bit more... neither are among my favorite shows though. I felt like Parks & Rec fell off in quality later in the series, or maybe it was just the way everyone in the show transformed into highly successful, fully actualized super people. Overall though I preferred P&R's more lighthearted and optimistic tone, and it just made me laugh more.
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:04 am

The Office invented the mockumentary style of show and was the funnier of the two. It didn't always have the heart, but it had the laughs.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:30 am

The Office for sure has a bigger place in pop-culture and is probably the more "important" show because of what BJ mentioned (even though the UK version deserves the credit there), but I went with Parks and Rec.

Has anyone gone back and watched s01 Parks and Rec? I haven't since it aired, but a podcast reminded me that s01 was a very different show. It didn't have the positivity that the show championed in later seasons. Parks and Rec was such a feel good show because of Leslie. Michael was a doofus who occasionally did something sincere.

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post The first 5 seasons of the office would win but after that it went off the edge.

It's almost like we are talking about 3 shows. Parks and Rec, The Office with Micheal, and The Office without Micheal. Did anything memorable happen after Micheal left? In my head his proposal is the season finale, but there were 4 other episodes in s07 before he even left, and then 3 episodes before that season ended. Then the show had 30 episodes without him!

Random question. During my research I found this chart. What the heck happened in season 5?!
"Stress Relief" - 2 parter
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:31 am

I don't think I've seen the full series of either but probably most episodes. The Office I watched mostly live back when they were on but kinda dropped off the bandwagon in later seasons. Basically once Steve Carrel left the show, I didn't watch much. Parks and Rec I never watched when it was on the air but have seen a lot of episodes on Netflix recently.

It's a tough poll question because I feel like Parks and Rec makes me laugh more because every character is so over the top (Ron Swanson is the epitome of a macho man; Andy is a good-hearted, bumbling idiot, Leslie is eternally optimistic and loves her town and job to a fault, April is exactly the opposite of Leslie, etc. etc.), whereas in The Office, outside of Michael Scott and Dwight, pretty much everyone is a real person that you could relate to in some way. I think I care more about the characters in The Office but Parks and Rec is funnier. I still don't know who to vote for.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:37 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post It's a tough poll question because I feel like Parks and Rec makes me laugh more because every character is so over the top (Ron Swanson is the epitome of a macho man; Andy is a good-hearted, bumbling idiot, Leslie is eternally optimistic and loves her town and job to a fault, April is exactly the opposite of Leslie, etc. etc.), whereas in The Office, outside of Michael Scott and Dwight, pretty much everyone is a real person that you could relate to in some way.

I started typing earlier how I felt The Office contained more cartoon characters set in a real world, whereas Parks and Rec contains more real characters set in a cartoon world, but I can see it your way too.

There is no arguing though that Scranton is way more normal than Pawnee. Everything about Pawnee is insane and it often times feels like Leslie is the only sane person in the whole town. Things get even wackier when Eagleton is involved.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:24 am

Tyler wrote:Random question. During my research I found this chart. What the heck happened in season 5?!
"Stress Relief" - 2 parter

The Super Bowl... for the first 6 min of the first episode, it was estimated that 37m viewers watched. That's the reason for your spike.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:50 am

I don't see Parks and Rec as being even remotely real. The Office setting is much much much more real to me.

I need to rewatch the entirety of the office, I never watched anything after Steve Carrell.
blake

Postby blake » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:20 am

Extremely tough but I went with The Office.

I liked how it seemed everyone could relate to The Office. Everybody knows someone who is like a character on the show
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Poll: The Office vs Parks and Rec

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:41 am

purple_hayes wrote:
The Super Bowl... for the first 6 min of the first episode, it was estimated that 37m viewers watched. That's the reason for your spike.

Thanks. Is this knowledge you bad off the top of your head?!
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:42 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
purple_hayes wrote:

Thanks. Is this knowledge you bad off the top of your head?!

Since I store all of my knowledge in a thing called Wikipedia... yes.

Return to “Shows”