Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Netflix’s The Haunting of Hill House

Discuss your favorite shows
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:39 am

This show is balllllllerrrrrrr. It's phenomenal. Janelle MADE me stay up last night so we could watch 4 episodes back to back.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:42 am

So far, this show follows a family of 7 who lived in the Hautning of Hill House, but shows the aftermath of it. It's taken an episode to follow each of the kids following the same event that happened like 20 years after the haunting and shows how they've dealt with it and how it's affected their lives. But one of the kids visited the house and basically triggered a whole new haunting (which I think she has always been haunted since).

One kid turned out to be an asshole, but successful writer, writing about the haunting.
One kid became a funeral home director, piecing bodies together and putting makeup on them, embalming etc.
One kid....loves drugs.
One kid can 'sense' emotions and trauma with her hands, so she always wears gloves. Became a child psychologist.
One kid .......is real messed up, but no further information at this point.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Netflix’s The Haunting of Hill House

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:29 am

Is this an old movie? Why does the title sound familiar? Series of movies?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:36 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Is this an old movie? Why does the title sound familiar? Series of movies?

It's based on the movie "The Haunting" in 1999, Catherine Zeta Jones, Liam Neeson, some other famous actors. That movie is based on the haunting, whereas this show is about what follows.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:47 am

Finished this last night. Put every other movie and tv show I had on hold until I could finish.

The overall show is like a 9.5/10. It's really well done, showing multiple perspectives, and how things can truly mess with your life. Last episode was a little sappy, but kind of hard not to. The show did a really good job at keeping you uneasy throughout the entire series.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Netflix’s The Haunting of Hill House

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:10 am

How many jump scares?

wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:59 am

I started this on Saturday night when I was home alone. I liked it but only made it through 2 episodes because the kid was being cranky and I couldn't concentrate on the show anymore. I'll try to keep watching if I get time.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:07 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I started this on Saturday night when I was home alone. I liked it but only made it through 2 episodes because the kid was being cranky and I couldn't concentrate on the show anymore. I'll try to keep watching if I get time.

Stick with it. It gets really good around episode 4 and continues the whole way.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:58 am

I would give this show about a 7/10. I liked it a lot but it was kind of a chore. I want to say it is 10 episodes. IMO it could have/should have been about 8. It got to feeling like I was watching two different movies at the same time.

I would still encourage people to watch it though.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:46 am

So I finished this last night. Really enjoyed the ride of the series but was pretty disappointed in the ending/last episode. Spoilers to follow for anyone still planning on watching.

I'm finding myself enjoying horror movies/shows more than I used to. A lot of times they are really dumb/corny, but they're usually fun. This show was a lot of fun and pretty spooky at times. I like that it didn't rely so much on jump scares (there were only a couple that I could think of), but it still kept up a sense of dread throughout and I like that in a horror show. A constant, uneasy feeling of imminent danger works a lot better for me than a cat popping out when you don't expect it.

The problem I had with the show was with the final episode. I will admit, they got me at the beginning when it seemed like everything was already resolved and they were going to tell the story via a flashback in Steve's writing. I was getting super pissed that they were ending it that way, but then when I realized it was fake, I was glad that wasn't the case. Like Wilkins said, it was sappy. I don't need a happy ending in a horror story, that's part of what makes it horror, but they did everything they could to make this a "happily ever after" story and it really deviated from where the rest of the story was going.

But what bothered me even more than the sappy ending was that they didn't do a very good job of connecting things from earlier in the story and wrapping things up. Things like the dogs barking noises they always heard even though there were never dogs anywhere, the monster that Luke saw when he was in the dumbwaiter as a kid, the "wolf" creature that the kids apparently saw during the storm; all these things that seemed important at the time are never explained or brought up again. Even the tall dude with the goofy hat that haunted Luke all his life was never really explained. I was hoping to get some explanations for those events or have them tied back into everything.

I was also let down a little bit with the portrayal of the house itself. The whole time it seems to be that the house is an evil entity trying to destroy this family. In reality it seems like it's one crazy ghost (out of apparently a ton of ghosts) that corrupts Olivia and then Olivia is the one trying to kill everyone. The house itself actually becomes somewhat a happy place because it allows people to see their dead loved ones whenever they want (i.e. the Dudleys). It left me thinking "Was the house really evil or not?"
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:21 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post (i.e. the Dudleys)

The Dursley's*
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:38 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post (i.e. the Dudleys)

The Dursley's*

Wut?
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:40 am

Oh, also....the Crain's know that the Dudley's have a daughter around the same age as their youngest kids. Why would they never consider that Luke was hanging out with the Dudley's kid rather than always writing it off as being an imaginary friend?

I could see them doing something like a prequel that focuses on the Dudley family taking care of the house. I'm a little interested in learning more about them, but I don't think I want to see a whole series about it.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:49 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Wut?

From harry potter
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:56 am

Frickin' nerd
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:16 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post The problem I had with the show was with the final episode. I will admit, they got me at the beginning when it seemed like everything was already resolved and they were going to tell the story via a flashback in Steve's writing. I was getting super pissed that they were ending it that way, but then when I realized it was fake, I was glad that wasn't the case. Like Wilkins said, it was sappy. I don't need a happy ending in a horror story, that's part of what makes it horror, but they did everything they could to make this a "happily ever after" story and it really deviated from where the rest of the story was going.

The last episode was super dumb. I try my best to ignore it.
wags83 wrote:Source of the post I was also let down a little bit with the portrayal of the house itself. The whole time it seems to be that the house is an evil entity trying to destroy this family. In reality it seems like it's one crazy ghost (out of apparently a ton of ghosts) that corrupts Olivia and then Olivia is the one trying to kill everyone. The house itself actually becomes somewhat a happy place because it allows people to see their dead loved ones whenever they want (i.e. the Dudleys). It left me thinking "Was the house really evil or not?"

What drives me the MOST crazy about this final episode is this piece here. This is literally the hook of American Horror Story Season 1. Everyone who dies there stayed there forever. I rolled my eyes so hard. The house tried to get people to overdose, hang themselves, hurt themselves, scare the shit out of them. Naw, it's just an afterlife retirement home.

Return to “Shows”