Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

TWD - s09e05

Discuss your favorite shows
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

TWD - s09e05

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:47 am

I know not everyone quit the show. How did Rick go out?
wags83

TWD - s09e05

Postby wags83 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:56 am

So I decided to watch at least these last couple episodes to see how it ends for Rick. I honestly didn't hate his last episode....until the end. Warning: long post coming.

The not terrible: Actually most of the episode was at least ok. I'm not usually a fan of flashbacks or dream sequences, but that was to be expected when it's the last episode of what has been your main character for 9 years. Some were dumb, but I didn't mind the sequence with Shane because I like John Bernthal and I liked their banter.

The dumb: At the end of the previous episode, Rick was passed out on the rock with rebar through his torso and 2 herds of zombies were within seconds of being on top of him. He must have been unconscious for all of 1 second before he woke up, freed himself, got on the horse, and rode away. Also, Daryl is guaranteed to get a head shot zombie kill with his crossbow from 200 yards away every time, no matter what.

The real dumb: So the way they "kill off" Rick, is that he sacrifices himself to keep a herd of zombies from crossing the bridge they just built and getting to the communities as his friends and family are just arriving to try to help him. He does this by shooting a pile of dynamite that they had there for some reason. I don’t think dynamite works that way, but when he shot it, it was the biggest explosion ever engulfing him (even though he seemed to be safely off the bridge) and a bunch of zombies in flames and destroying the bridge entirely. The herd of zombies then continues to walk through the flames and over the ledge into the rushing river being swept away by the current never to be a problem again. Sacrificing himself in front of his friends would have been a valiant way for him to go out, except THEY DIDN’T ACTUALLY KILL HIM OFF! Turns out he also was swept away in the river current (even though the blast would have thrown him further off the bridge onto land) and washed up on the river bank just as Garbage Lady was about to be picked up by the helicopter. She convinces whoever she has been talking to on the walkie talkie to take Rick with them. Apparently it’s a medical helicopter because it shows rick waking up while they’re flying away with an oxygen mask on his face. So they left the door open for him to eventually come back, I guess? Side note: Garbage Lady says over the walkie talkie that she has a “B” (referring to Rick) instead of an “A”. We still don’t know what this means and it seems we never will find out.

The Super Duper Dumb: Big time jump at the end of the show. There’s a new group of survivors being surrounded by zombies. The group includes the main dude from Balls of Fury. They’re about to be killed when suddenly the zombies are being shot from an unknown hero. They run toward their rescuer. There’s a 10 year old girl holding a .357 magnum with a Samurai sword strapped to her back and wearing a Georgia Highway Patrol hat. Who could that possibly be?!?!?! No worries, she lets us know: “Hi, I’m Judith” (Wait, who? We wonder aloud) “Judith Grimes.” (Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!).

The My God I Didn’t Know This Could Get Dumber but Somehow It Does: There was an extended preview at what’s coming up on future episodes after this episode. Still has some of the same old cast but also looks like it’ll be trying to fit Balls of Fury guy and his friends in as new characters we should care about. There’s a part in this preview where two people are hiding from zombies by covering themselves with mud (do the zombies have Predator vision now?) as a herd is shambling past. We hear a growly zombie voice say “Wheeeerrrrrreee arrrrrreee theeyyyyyy?” and the next couple clips includes people observing the zombies and saying things like “I’ve never seen them act like this before” and “They’re evolving”. What?! Are we going to have conscious, talking zombies?! So stupid if that’s what’s coming.
Tyler
Owner

Re: TWD - s09e05

Postby Tyler » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:16 am

That ending sounds horrible. Rick blowing himself up when he didn't have to and then surviving. Of course they kept it open that he could return

As for the preview
► Show Spoiler
wags83

TWD - s09e05

Postby wags83 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:21 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post As for the preview

That makes me less mad about it.

But yeah, it seems dumb to make such a big deal about "Rick Grimes last episode!" like they've done for the last year but then leave the door open to him returning.

Return to “Shows”