Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Squid Game - Netflix

Discuss your favorite shows
Tyler
Owner

Squid Game - Netflix

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:48 pm

I have the broadest idea what this show is. I read one take to just watch it and don't even look it up.
I know it is south korean and
► Show Spoiler

Wilkins, I am sure you watched it all?
wags83

Squid Game - Netflix

Postby wags83 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:12 am

I saw this was the #1 trending thing on Netflix but have no idea what it's about. I guess maybe I'll check it out?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Squid Game - Netflix

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:19 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I have the broadest idea what this show is. I read one take to just watch it and don't even look it up.
I know it is south korean and
► Show Spoiler

Wilkins, I am sure you watched it all?

It's next on the list. Reminds me of Alice in Borderlands.
wags83

Squid Game - Netflix

Postby wags83 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:25 am

I started watching this last night, got through 2 or 3 episodes. II like it so far and it's interesting enough to stick with it.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Squid Game - Netflix

Postby Tyler » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:58 pm

wags83 wrote:I started watching this last night, got through 2 or 3 episodes. II like it so far and it's interesting enough to stick with it.
Do you need to read subtitles?!
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Squid Game - Netflix

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:06 pm

Tyler wrote:
wags83 wrote:I started watching this last night, got through 2 or 3 episodes. II like it so far and it's interesting enough to stick with it.
Do you need to read subtitles?!

It can be dubbed too, but like all dubs. It's bad.

First episode was interesting though.
wags83

Squid Game - Netflix

Postby wags83 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:30 pm

I guess I didn't know there was a subbed version. I started it and it was automatically the dubbed version.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Squid Game - Netflix

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:56 pm

I finished this, was pretty good. Basically Alice in Borderlands or Escape Room type shit. Dubs were so bad, but it made a lot of it pretty funny, even though it definitely wasn't intended to be.

A lot of articles going about how the subtitles were all basically wrong too, so whatever.
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Squid Game - Netflix

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:18 am

Squid game No.1 tv show in 90 countries

Squid Game subtitles 'change meaning' of Netflix show - 'Squid Game's "botched" subtitles have changed the show's meaning for English-speaking viewers, some Korean-speaking fans say.'
Let's get this clear.

There's 2 subtitle tracks. English and English [CC]. One is an English translation of the Korean script. The other is the English Closed Captioning for the English dub script.

Most people's problems are with the English [CC] subtitles, as it also points out in the article. This is to be expected, it's a localised dub. Dubs rarely follow the translated subs because they don't flow as nicely for a dub. If you watch this along with the Korean audio then you'll just be seeing a bunch of stuff that doesn't seem right.

The English subtitles are apparently a lot better, as it also points out in the article, because they are a nearly direct translation. But some people think there's bits that could be done better (every sub has people thinking it could be better!)

There's a fine line between making literal translations and missing the true meaning of a phrase, and localising something the best you can. Many languages have things which just aren't easily translatable. It's just a nature of translation and it's only suddenly a big deal because Squid Game is probably the largest sub/dub show that Netflix has had.

People should just make sure they're using the correct subtitle track. Because Netflix will default to English [CC] for most users.
Tyler
Owner

Squid Game - Netflix

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:57 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post People should just make sure they're using the correct subtitle track. Because Netflix will default to English [CC] for most users.

Ahh. interesting. I know what to do if I ever watch it.
wags83

Squid Game - Netflix

Postby wags83 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:51 pm

Episode 6 with the marbles was emotional!
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Squid Game - Netflix

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:02 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Episode 6 with the marbles was emotional!

I just kept laughing because the old man 'lost his marbles' and that metaphor was too on the nose for me.
wags83

Squid Game - Netflix

Postby wags83 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:24 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post Episode 6 with the marbles was emotional!

I just kept laughing because the old man 'lost his marbles' and that metaphor was too on the nose for me.

Also the "twist" in the final episode ruined the emotion anyway.
wags83

Squid Game - Netflix

Postby wags83 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:34 pm

Just realized I didn't post after finishing this. I went into this not knowing anything about it. It was definitely a fun ride. They left it open for a 2nd season, even though we don't really need one, but sure, I'll watch. They threw in a twist at the end that I thought was pretty unnecessary and sort of ruined some of the earlier story. Worth a watch for anyone who needs a bit of gratuitous violence with a low effort bit of social commentary.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Squid Game - Netflix

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:05 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Just realized I didn't post after finishing this. I went into this not knowing anything about it. It was definitely a fun ride. They left it open for a 2nd season, even though we don't really need one, but sure, I'll watch. They threw in a twist at the end that I thought was pretty unnecessary and sort of ruined some of the earlier story. Worth a watch for anyone who needs a bit of gratuitous violence with a low effort bit of social commentary.

If you ALREADY watched it, watch Alice in Borderlands, Escape Room 1 and 2, Or the original Battle Royale (but that shit is over the top violent and is more along hunger games, but really its all the same).
Tyler
Owner

Re: Squid Game - Netflix

Postby Tyler » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:27 pm

I'm trying not to read anything that was posted recently.

My parents are in town and we're telling me about this crazy show they are watching. It's this lol. We told them about the difference in sub titles vs dubs. My dad wanted to watch the first episode again subtitles vs subbed so we did that tonight. He said it was the same so far.

Good pilot. It would have been fun going into this show blind, but I knew enough about it not to be shocked when the guns started.
Tyler
Owner

Squid Game - Netflix

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:02 pm

Watched 2 and 3.
My dad warned me that ep 2 is a little boring, and I understand why he would say that. Once people got back to their lives, it dragged a bit, but I think that episode was pretty important. Completely different dynamic going forward since these people WANT to be here. If the voting/release didn't happen, it would be more like a "Saw" situation where people are being forced to do something for survival, but now that people want to play the death games it is a different dynamic.

Ep 3
I'll admit that I thought 2 of the guys were 1. I thought the friend and the guy who got the message in the breakfast were the same guy. I need to pay attention to the numbers more.
I've never heard of honeycomb. Umbrella isn't even fair!

I also switched to dubbed. I understand I'll miss like 3% of character motivations, but it is easier to watch. I do think the dubbing/voice work is pretty awful at times. Specifically the bathroom scene with the 2 girls. That one girl screaming and yelling, none of that made any sense.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Squid Game - Netflix

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:59 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I also switched to dubbed. I understand I'll miss like 3% of character motivations, but it is easier to watch. I do think the dubbing/voice work is pretty awful at times. Specifically the bathroom scene with the 2 girls. That one girl screaming and yelling, none of that made any sense.

90% of the dialogue in the show doesn't make any sense. and its so badly acted. I loved every second.

Return to “Shows”