Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Suicide Squad

Discuss your favorite movies
ejhartman91

Suicide Squad

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:06 pm

Tyler wrote:
ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post They also said it was only like 80 minutes long... That seems short for a film with so many lead characters

They lied to you. It is 2 hours and 3 minutes.

What?! TRUST NO ONE
Tyler
Owner

Suicide Squad

Postby Tyler » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:06 am

We are seeing this tonight. I know most of the reviews are bad, but I haven't read any of them. I'm excited to see it irregardless because it's fun to get out of the house and see a movie - something you take for granted before becoming #responsibleparents
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Suicide Squad

Postby DannyFanny » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:24 am

word on the street is that responsible parents bring their small child to horror movies.
Wallinguana

Suicide Squad

Postby Wallinguana » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:52 am

I saw it last night. I liked Will Smith. There were a lot of stupid plot problems and the pacing was really weird. Entertaining enough but not a very well put together movie.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Suicide Squad

Postby DannyFanny » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:15 pm

Wallinguana wrote:Source of the postThere were a lot of stupid plot problems and the pacing was really weird. Entertaining enough but not a very well put together movie.

So similar to BvS?
Wallinguana

Suicide Squad

Postby Wallinguana » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:07 pm

DannyFanny wrote:
Wallinguana wrote:Source of the postThere were a lot of stupid plot problems and the pacing was really weird. Entertaining enough but not a very well put together movie.

So similar to BvS?

Pretty much.
Tyler
Owner

Suicide Squad

Postby Tyler » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:25 pm

Good thing Wonder Woman is going to be amazing. That will be the first critically successful DC universe movie *crossing fingers*
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Suicide Squad

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:58 pm

DC movies are getting such a bad break. If you take what the director cut and take out all the scenes that make it makes sense, it's going to suck.

I liked both Superman movies so so suck it!
wags83

Suicide Squad

Postby wags83 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:18 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post irregardless

I hate that you did that
Tyler
Owner

Suicide Squad

Postby Tyler » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:06 am

Poor DCU... This wasn't very good, but I think it was more entertaining than the theatrical cut of BvS. It didn't take itself as serious, but at the same time it wasn't as fun as it should have been. Go see Sausage Party in theaters instead of this.

Good
-Will Smith played a great Deadshot. His character felt more fleshed out than almost all the others
-Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn was good. 80% of her one liners fell flat (and there where a lot of them), but I think that was on the writing, not the delivery. I like the nods to the original character with a split second shot of her wearing the jester costume and holding it up later, even her mallet was teased.
-I like the style of the rap sheets used for introducing the characters, but they weren't on screen long enough to read everything.
-Enchantress was an amazing and creepy character the first third of the movie, but she turned out to be a horrible villain.
-Batman cameos were used very well. He didn't have a ton of screen time, but the 3 small scenes he appeared in made sense
-Flash has a small cameo too
-Soundtrack
-Amanda Waller being ruthless

Bad
-Like Wallinga mentioned, it felt very disjointed and a lot of parts didn't make sense. They just met each other hours ago and Diablo is referring to them all as his family and he wants to die for them? What?
-Enchantress and her brother were horrible villains (for this movie). They were way too powerful for this kind of movie. Why would Enchantress ever engage them in hand to hand combat? She has magic! Very lackluster ending when Harley Quinn tricked her so easily. Would have made more sense to save these 2 for a Justice League type movie.
-The marketing for this movie was all over the place. It wasn't as gritty/real as the first trailer and it wasn't as fun/funny as the 2nd trailer promised
-Generic dehumanized bad guys
-The Squad being better at combat than the best soldiers in the world. Harley beats more baddies with her bare hands than Flagg does with guns.

Observations
-Superman is still "dead", but at the end of BvS we saw the dirt float from his coffin. How long is he going to be in that thing before he flys out? I imagine he will show up in the 3rd act of Justice League
-I am not ready to say I dislikedJared Leto's Joker, but it is very strange. I actively disliked his laugh though, but there were other interesting things done with the character, like...
-Joker seems to genuinely love Harley Quinn. In the cartoons Joker is always messing with her and manipulating, but it seems in this movie once she jumped in the vat of acid to prove her loyalty he fell for her. It is not a one sided relationship.
-Giving this movie an R rating would have solved a lot of problems. I think people were hoping for a Deadpool like experience because both of these movies focus around "bad" guys. Bad guys do bad things and use bad language. This group could have been much funnier if they used the language that Deadpool did. Giving it an R rating would have made the bad guys more interesting too. Since it was PG-13 they couldn't be shooting at humans and have blood.
Tyler
Owner

Suicide Squad

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:52 am

I heard this awhile ago and I forgot to share. Supposedly David Ayer (director) did a cut of the movie that he was proud of, but the studio didn't really like it. They then asked the marketing company who did the "fun" trailer to edit their own version of the film. It is very rare to give marketing this much control over a film, especially when you consider that the marketing company wasn't even WB affiliated and company a 3rd party vendor. That is also why the soundtrack is so good for the movie, the marketing company put Queen into the trailer and it was well received so they pumped popular music into the entire movie.

Not sure how true this is, but very interesting.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Suicide Squad

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:27 am

So they will release the actual version, i will watch it and not understand why everyone hated it and then we can have the BvS conversations all over again?
Tyler
Owner

Suicide Squad

Postby Tyler » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:29 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post So they will release the actual version, i will watch it and not understand why everyone hated it and then we can have the BvS conversations all over again?

Interesting... I think they announced very early that BvS would be getting a director's cut, I haven't heard the same announcement about this movie.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Suicide Squad

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:33 am

I haven't either, just assumed
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Suicide Squad

Postby Blue Jackets » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:43 am

Today, SuicideSquad will join the Top 50 all-time domestic blockbusters list bumping off IronMan in the process. $318.6M & counting.
Tyler
Owner

Suicide Squad

Postby Tyler » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:00 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post Today, SuicideSquad will join the Top 50 all-time domestic blockbusters list bumping off IronMan in the process. $318.6M & counting.

That is sad, those movies aren't even in the same league
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Suicide Squad

Postby Blue Jackets » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:25 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post So they will release the actual version, i will watch it and not understand why everyone hated it and then we can have the BvS conversations all over again?

Own Suicide Squad Extended Cut on Digital HD 11/15 and Blu-ray 12/13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pimz7kmkW6o
Tyler
Owner

Suicide Squad

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:27 am

It would be nice if they put the good version of these movies in theaters
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Suicide Squad

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:56 am

Yes it would