Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Tomb Raider reboot

Postby Blue Jackets » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:35 am

Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Tomb Raider reboot

Postby Blue Jackets » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:47 am

International reviews are in. a lot of 1/5 and 2.5/5 reviews.
Tyler
Owner

Tomb Raider reboot

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:12 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post International reviews are in. a lot of 1/5 and 2.5/5 reviews.

I wouldn't be surprised if this had a critic RT score of mid-20's. I will probably see it next week unless someone here really discourages me, even with MoviePass.
Tyler
Owner

Tomb Raider reboot

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:15 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I wouldn't be surprised if this had a critic RT score of mid-20's. I will probably see it next week unless someone here really discourages me, even with MoviePass.

50%. I am shocked. It will go down.
CrckrJack

Tomb Raider reboot

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:52 am

Pretty sure we are going to this tomorrow. I'm excited to see it, but I think it will suck.
CrckrJack

Tomb Raider reboot

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:57 pm

This was pretty fun. It was about 30 minutes too long though. Not sure what I would cut out of it either, tbh. I left to go to the bathroom during it and saw that there was another hour left and was pretty :o. Some of the scenes were pretty unbelievable, but it's Tomb Raider. I wasn't expecting it to be super realistic. The gunplay was actually really good. This movie could have easily been an R if they had added a little bit more.

My dad had a really big problem with her grunts throughout the movie but I didn't really notice it as much as he did. Definitely worth the time to see it.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Tomb Raider reboot

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:02 pm

I hope you used the Run Pee app for your bathroom break!

Better or worse then the movies with Angelina Jolie?

Walton Goggins the best villain ever?

I will probably see this before it leaves theaters.
CrckrJack

Tomb Raider reboot

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:04 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Better or worse then the movies with Angelina Jolie?

About the same. I remember as a kid i really enjoyed the jolie movies but i recently rewatched at least one of them and it was okay.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Walton Goggins the best villain ever?

He was a pretty good villain! Super weird character and it was well done by him.

Lara's father is played by some guy that has an affair with a 20-something year old in a tv show and it REALLY bothered my mom/dad. So much so that every scene he was in was ruined for them.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Tomb Raider reboot

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:25 pm

CrckrJack wrote:
Lara's father is played by some guy that has an affair with a 20-something year old in a tv show and it REALLY bothered my mom/dad. So much so that every scene he was in was ruined for them.

He's McNulty from The Wire!

Explain to them he's an actor and does different roles. That isn't him in real life.
CrckrJack

Tomb Raider reboot

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:30 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post He's McNulty from The Wire!

Explain to them he's an actor and does different roles. That isn't him in real life.

/shrug
purple_hayes

Tomb Raider reboot

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:18 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post This was pretty fun. It was about 30 minutes too long though. Not sure what I would cut out of it either, tbh. I left to go to the bathroom during it and saw that there was another hour left and was pretty :o. Some of the scenes were pretty unbelievable, but it's Tomb Raider. I wasn't expecting it to be super realistic. The gunplay was actually really good. This movie could have easily been an R if they had added a little bit more.

My dad had a really big problem with her grunts throughout the movie but I didn't really notice it as much as he did. Definitely worth the time to see it.

This movie was sooooo meh. You use the first part of the movie to show that Lara is a fighter, street kid type person now... only to send her off to some foreign land to get robbed... what? nope. I think they stuck to the game way too much. One of the knocks on the game is the fact that Lara says nothing but grunts like she having sex... which is what they did with Alicia. After about 30 min into the film, I was wishing we had gone to Black Panther instead. This movie is so rental.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Tomb Raider reboot

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:37 am

Lol about the grunting. A co-worker said the same thing. Very distracting she said.
Tyler
Owner

Tomb Raider reboot

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:03 pm

Just got back. My random collection of thoughts that I am not going to organize.

I had opposite opinions of Hayes. I thought this felt like a generic action movie, not a Tomb Raider movie. I don't know much about Lara Croft's character, but she's more than a street rat who does kickboxing classes. I would have liked to see Croft train more, be into extreme sports, be the top of her class, etc. It was such a stretch to have her go to this island and solve all of the puzzles instantly and defeat an entire army of goons, but to be fair, she also had the drunken sailor fighting, who somehow could shoot and fight better than trained soldiers.

Alicia Vikander slowly won we over, but I still think she did as a generic action actress, not as Lara Croft. Her ponytail wasn't big enough! She was fit though. I believed she could pull herself up like that, but probably not take down guys twice her size. She was amazing at running, jumping, holding onto things with one hand. That was easily 60% of the movie.

Call me evil, but her dad being alive really sucked some life out of the movie. Of course he was alive and I knew it would happen, but that reveal was very lame and he looked so goofy. We didn't even get the story of why Goggin's character thought he was dead and he he survived.

Plane scene over the waterfall was stolen right out of Jurassic Park 2, right? It was just like the giant RV hanging over the cliff. I liked this scene, but I couldn't not make that comparison.

Another silly point. Dad leaves a cryptic message for his daughter to destroy very important documents if he were to die. What if she didn't find the clues? It took her 7 years just to almost sign the papers and get the first clue.

Hardly any jokes. That's fine, but such a departure of most action/adventure movies.

The prologue reveal that her father's business partner is the head of Trinity was pretty lame. That's true in the reboot video game that I played, but it was pretty lazy how they revealed it in voice over and Lara had a whole 2 dots to connect. That applies to most of the puzzles in the movie, I wish they would have gone into a little more detail, not just shown Lara turning random knobs until it worked. Back to evil lady...bold to put that in there when this probably won't get a sequel.

Twist that the witch was actually good and that she was the carrier of a disease that instantly killed people? Meh. Is pseudo science better than magic/fantasy? I haven't played an Uncharted game before, but I read that is exactly the plot to the first of those games.

3 more dumb things:
Lara could have just crossed the bridge at the end and left Goggins on the bad side. It was dumb how she handled that.
Bike scene and mugger scene. I didn't need 2 chase scenes explaining Lara is faster and smarter than everyone else.
Obvious green screen for some of the action stuff.

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post The gunplay was actually really good.

What gunplay? Lara had 14 opportunities to pick up guns and she never did.

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post Lara says nothing but grunts like she having sex

I was listening for this and didn't really notice, at least not enough to care
CrckrJack

Tomb Raider reboot

Postby CrckrJack » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:11 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Source of the post The gunplay was actually really good.

The other people did. They sounded good and were realistic.
purple_hayes

Tomb Raider reboot

Postby purple_hayes » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:29 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Source of the post The gunplay was actually really good.

The other people did. They sounded good and were realistic.

Lara picked up a bow and arrows instead of picking up a gun... the whole time I was watching this movie... i was yelling... LOOT THE BODY!! Classic video game stuff people... she could have had a hand gun and an assault rifle from the first guy sent to track her down and kill her... but instead of looting his body for weapons, food, and valuable items... she decides to run off in to the dark after some sketchy figure shows up.

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I had opposite opinions of Hayes.

Really... sounds like you agree with me. Movie was very 'meh'. So basic.

Tyler wrote:Call me evil, but her dad being alive really sucked some life out of the movie. Of course he was alive and I knew it would happen, but that reveal was very lame and he looked so goofy. We didn't even get the story of why Goggin's character thought he was dead and he he survived.

Right, I was hoping they would have done something right... like killed her father off from the beginning. Granted, you have the talented Detective McNulty and Boyd Crowder in your movie, you want to use them. But dude, it was sooo bad that they couldn't help.

Tyler wrote:3 more dumb things:
Lara could have just crossed the bridge at the end and left Goggins on the bad side. It was dumb how she handled that.
Bike scene and mugger scene. I didn't need 2 chase scenes explaining Lara is faster and smarter than everyone else.
Obvious green screen for some of the action stuff.

Agree.... that end scene was soooo dumb. Guess they had extra money laying around and said... um, lets blow stuff up.

Seriously, the story they created for this particular movie is about an hour too long... first, after they find the crypt, just blow up the door. you've blown up everything else. Then, go touch the body of the dragon lady... um, bad guys are dead... end movie. I mean, is Lara even truly needed? She could have mailed Boyd the book and movie done in 45 min.

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post Lara says nothing but grunts like she having sex

I was listening for this and didn't really notice, at least not enough to care[/quote]

You didn't notice that through out all the action scenes that Lara was involved in, she grunted. Like the plane scene, hiding in the crypt, running from the guys shooting at her on the island, killing the guy on the beach but never looting his body, riding a bike through busy London streets... no hey get out of the way... nope, just grunting.
Tyler
Owner

Tomb Raider reboot

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:44 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post Really... sounds like you agree with me. Movie was very 'meh'. So basic.

You are right. Haha, I think as I typed more about the movie I realized I didn't like it more and more.

But let's be honest, this is probably one of the best video game adaptions, even though this was not a good movie.
purple_hayes

Tomb Raider reboot

Postby purple_hayes » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:12 am

Tyler wrote:But let's be honest, this is probably one of the best video game adaptions, even though this was not a good movie.

I think they stayed too true to the video game. They tried to create an authentic gaming experience in a movie with some of the obstacles. I think they forgot to add in cinema elements like humor. I don't know if this made enough money to keep going in a sequel or not.

Return to “Movies”