Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Ready Player One

Discuss your favorite movies
Tyler
Owner

Ready Player One

Postby Tyler » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:06 am

Not watching. A little over a month away. I'll be seeing with Jocelyn or Wilkins.
Blue Jackets

Ready Player One

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:43 am

76%
Average Rating: 6.1/10
Reviews Counted: 21
Fresh: 16
Rotten: 5
Tyler
Owner

Ready Player One

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:10 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post 76%
Average Rating: 6.1/10
Reviews Counted: 21
Fresh: 16
Rotten: 5

That is much higher than I was expecting. I liked the book, but I was expecting it not to translate well to a movie. If this can stay fresh that's a big win.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Ready Player One

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:45 pm

Lol. This made the book cover
CrckrJack

Ready Player One

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Lol. This made the book cover

Why is his leg so long
Travis

Ready Player One

Postby Travis » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:59 pm

I’m so ready for his movie !
bmyoungs

Ready Player One

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:26 pm

I was hoping this came out this weekend. We are staying with Sarah's mom Friday and Saturday so would have been perfect time to see it

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
purple_hayes

Ready Player One

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:20 am

So... if you watch the movie in Columbus, Ohio... is that considered 'meta'?
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Ready Player One

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:09 am

purple_hayes wrote:So... if you watch the movie in Columbus, Ohio... is that considered 'meta'?
You're not watching the movie, you're LIVING the movie. I wonder if theaters there are doing anything special? Assuming the movie takes place there like the book does.
purple_hayes

Ready Player One

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:12 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
purple_hayes wrote:So... if you watch the movie in Columbus, Ohio... is that considered 'meta'?
You're not watching the movie, you're LIVING the movie. I wonder if theaters there are doing anything special? Assuming the movie takes place there like the book does.

I have not seen anything nor heard anything about a special premiere or anything. I wish they would.
Blue Jackets

Ready Player One

Postby Blue Jackets » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:52 am

Steven Spielberg vowed to leave his own movies out of Ready Player One — his crew vowed otherwise
There was one exception: He allowed the hero to drive the time-traveling DeLorean from Back to the Future, which Spielberg executive-produced. Beyond that, the director didn’t want the new movie to become a series of shout-outs to his older ones.

His crew vowed otherwise.

Thus began a covert campaign to sneak Spielbergia into the background of Ready Player One, often by visually referencing movies he produced rather than directed. Graffiti on one wall of the dystopian real-world set included the grinning green jaws of a fiend from Gremlins. Spielberg killed it.

A diner on one street during a chase was a wink to the villainous bank-robbing brothers from The Goonies. “We had a sly Fratelli’s Diner, but we got caught,” production designer Adam Stockhausen says. “He nixed it.”

“I think a lot of the digital artists were trying to get some of their favorite ’80s cultural references in there, you know?” Spielberg says. “And having seen every shot 30 times as we go through all the different steps from pre-viz to animatic to final, I started noticing little things. They snuck a gremlin in.”
Tyler
Owner

Ready Player One

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:19 am

Very sneaky!

I didn't realize this came out Easter weekend. I doubt we see it in Sheldon so I might be a week late with watching.
Blue Jackets

Ready Player One

Postby Blue Jackets » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:27 am

Edgar Wright: ‘Ready Player One’ Re-Confirms Steven Spielberg Is the ‘Master of Blocking Action Scenes’

FYI: Blocking is the positioning and movement of actors in relation to the space they're acting in and the audience they're acting to.
Tyler
Owner

Ready Player One

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:28 am

We went last night for the pre-opening night. There were only 10 people total in the theater, but it was a small theater. Warning, this post will probably be long.

I read the book a few years ago, but it still remembered a lot of the basic points. My main takeaway from the book was that it was a fun read, so many 80's references, and the dialogue was cringy at times. That was kind of to be expected though since RP1 was Ernest Cline's first novel. Same thing happened with Artemis last year that some of us read.

One more key background piece, I am obviously a VR enthusiast. I've been following VR closely since 2012 and got my first real VR headset last year. I'm excited by the current tech and can't wait to see where it will go in the next iteration and years to come.

Now finally back to the movie...
I went into this movie with low expectations, even though it was reviewing fairly well. I knew I would be judging the movie harder for the 2 reasons mentioned above. I'm happy to say the movie was very good, but it was not without its flaws. I would also call it more "inspired by" than "based on" the book by Cline.

Let's start with the bad for a change, because this movie deserves to end on a high note.
-The love story was very bad. I went back and read my old review of the book and that was my main issue too. Wade confesses his love to Art3mis at the VR dance club. That was the 4th time they ever talked in the Oasis? Basically I think they rushed this too fast and met too soon IRL.
-Wade's family dying for nothing. He was sad for a total of 32 seconds. He gets captured by Samantha and instead of mourning the loss of his family he reminds her that he loves her.
-You killed my mother's sister! ...you mean your aunt?
-I never felt the stakes while in the Oasis. It's funny how you can watch something like The Incredibles and feel worried for the characters, even though it is a cartoon. But since this movie has a real world I found it hard to care for the Oasis avatars.

Good
-Not doing just 80's references. The book only references games/movies from the 80's. I like that the movie kept the 80's as the most important decade for Halliday, but the Oasis itself was full of pop culture references from 80's to our present day.
-Even though I didn't feel stakes in Oasis, I loved the design of it. When this movie was announced I was curious if they would do CGI for The Oasis or if they would film it traditionally (like when they tricked Sorrento into thinking he was out of the Oasis). I like the CGI they used for the virtual world a lot.
-Iron Giant fighting MechaGodzilla. That was cool. All of the Oasis action was really well done.

Closing thoughts:
I wish I was more familiar with The Shining. In the book the 2nd Easter egg is in the movie WarGames (which I watched after reading the book). I liked how they did it with the Shining a lot more though. I could post all of the differences from book to movie, but I don't think that is interesting to anyone?

Hiding this from general readers since no one likely cares. VR specific thoughts/complaints
► Show Spoiler
Travis

Ready Player One

Postby Travis » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:45 pm

Just got back from this movie. I really enjoyed it. Tyler made a good point on wish the tech was explained more how it work.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Ready Player One

Postby DannyFanny » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:18 am

I watched this yesterday with Maria. A lot was changed for time/production reasons. I thought it was still a fun movie. I would be interested in slowing down the film and searching for all the references.

two gripes
► Show Spoiler
Travis

Ready Player One

Postby Travis » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:23 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post I watched this yesterday with Maria. A lot was changed for time/production reasons. I thought it was still a fun movie. I would be interested in slowing down the film and searching for all the references.

two gripes
► Show Spoiler

Thought the same thing bout the people in the supermarket. When they die in the game how do they get back in the game cuz the IOI people had to change platform. And you would think there would be a save option in the game.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Ready Player One

Postby Tyler » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:10 am

If you die during that final battle you didn't return to it. IOI players are dying and starting up as a new player. I guess the average Joe could spin up a player at level 0 and return to the fight too, but not as quickly as IOI
Watson2000

Ready Player One

Postby Watson2000 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:52 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post If you die during that final battle you didn't return to it. IOI players are dying and starting up as a new player. I guess the average Joe could spin up a player at level 0 and return to the fight too, but not as quickly as IOI

This is a guess on my part, but I'm going to assume that IOI had tons and tons of characters built, leveled and probably all loaded with the same equipment. Not sure why they had to change platforms to log into a different character except to just help establish the shot so Art3mis could get away when her IOI char died.
Tyler
Owner

Ready Player One

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:11 am

Watson2000 wrote:Source of the post This is a guess on my part, but I'm going to assume that IOI had tons and tons of characters built, leveled and probably all loaded with the same equipment. Not sure why they had to change platforms to log into a different character except to just help establish the shot so Art3mis could get away when her IOI char died.

Agreed. When I said start as "new" player, I meant a different leveled up player. I worded that poorly.

I like to think they switched to a platform where a different player was at the pause screen and ready to go. As soon as they got off their dead platform a technician came in and spent the 3 minutes needed to spin up the next play instance and get it ready for when someone else dies and runs to the empty rig.

I'm glad we are discussing this minor part of the movie so deeply.

Return to “Movies”