Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Ready Player One

Discuss your favorite movies
CrckrJack

Ready Player One

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:34 am

I'm not sure why they decided to change so much from the book. The book had great events and stuff and they basically ignored them completely? Seemed really weird to me that they decided to do that.

The love story in the book seemed nowhere near as fast as in the movie. in the book you get more of his obsession with her through watching her videos and stuff. In the movie it is basically "Oh that's Artemis" and then "i love you".

I thought the movie was fun though. I doubt it's going to win any awards or anything.
Watson2000

Ready Player One

Postby Watson2000 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:05 am

Was informed by Tyler, "You can't just rank Ready Player One that low and not explain why"... (By the way, only reason Ready Player One is above Red Sparrow is because Red Sparrow is so long...)

***There will be spoilers, and I have no idea how to turn on the Spoiler button thingamajig, I'm old.***

I didn't like it. Didn't laugh, didn't get goosebumps, didn't clap when they showed something from my childhood.

Yes, I've read the book, multiple times (a shout out to cwilkins88 for recommending it to me years ago), and I don't buy the whole book is always better than the movie malarkey. Harry Potter movies were just as good as the books. Heck, Spielberg made Jurassic Park to be just as good as the book. And they all had tweaks and/or changes from the book.

I was looking forward to this movie when it was announced. Then I saw the trailers, and I was confused by the DeLorean racing against all these other cars. Then I heard warnings that there were changes because they couldn’t to get the licensing for everything in the book.

So, I went in not expecting much.

I won't give you a verbose rambling of all the little things that bugged me (like the Aunt kind of being nice, and not a bitch, or Wade not being overweight, everyone be readily available in Columbus, Morrow's small role, etc...)

Mr. Spielberg, why didn't you make two movies? Instead, you combined the quest for the keys with the trials of the gates to save time I guess. And why couldn't you keep the key/gate quests the same??? Out of all the games, movies, music that are used for the three keys and gates, I'm supposed to believe that Atari's Adventure was the only one that said yes? Are you telling me the people for D&D, Joust, Zork, Rush, Black Tiger, Monty Python, and Tempest all said, "Nah bro, we're good.". I can understand Bladerunner, since they had the new movie come out last year, but come on. And maybe it was thought people might not know Zork, Black Tiger, or D&D...then you explain it like it did in the book! I don't know Rush, heard of them. Don't know Black Tiger, and never heard of it. Wade in the book explained it all to me.

I'm confused about Wade being a Halliday expert so Samantha turns herself in so he can get away. I'm not sure when that was established. Yes, he got the first key/gate by getting lucky in finding a memory that helped give him the idea to go backwards (and I'm sorry, that's just fucking stupid..go fast backwards. Blah.). But he didn't figure out the second gate/key, she did...aren't they even then?

I would have liked to of seen Wade/Parzival having to level up after the first key/gate (again, the two movie route). But instead, he goes to a club and seems to be inept as a fighter. But luckily, he has lots of gizmos he just bought (so naturally Tyler liked the movie since it's now it's ever so slightly like Batman ;) ).

I'll stop, I'm just rambling, and the more I think about it, the more things I can come up with that I didn't care for (like Sorrento not knowing much about Halliday or the Oasis apparently, or the movie i-R0k in general).

To end on a positive note, I didn't hate it as much as Last Jedi...

(I hope this completes my legal contract of (overly) sharing my opinion Tyler.)

Thank you and good night.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Ready Player One

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:39 am

Thanks Watson! Im reading that you didn't like the movie because it wasn't the same for you as the book. Impossible question to answer, but if you didn't have the book knowledge would you have enjoyed it more?

It's been awhile since I've read the book so I forgot about the key/gates being separate challenges. No way the movie had time to do all that. I do think a book can be turned into a single movie without part A and part B, but maybe they picked the wrong plot points to focus their time on.

When I was watching the movie I kept wondering how Jocelyn was keeping up. Seems like they used voiceover exposition a lot and it would have been easy to miss something major, or maybe I just think that because I read the book.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Ready Player One

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:01 am

I agree with Watson on a lot of what he said. I understand changes happen for a lot of reasons, but it's some of the little details that got me.

a few more gripes
► Show Spoiler
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:29 am

Lolz. You're right. How many times have we played a game and just screwed around. Someone would have tried to go backwards for sure.
Watson2000

Ready Player One

Postby Watson2000 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:21 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Thanks Watson! Im reading that you didn't like the movie because it wasn't the same for you as the book. Impossible question to answer, but if you didn't have the book knowledge would you have enjoyed it more?

When I was watching the movie I kept wondering how Jocelyn was keeping up. Seems like they used voiceover exposition a lot and it would have been easy to miss something major, or maybe I just think that because I read the book.

Maybe a low B. Don't know, hard for me to judge as I've read the book multiple times. It is very "Spielbergy", which isn't a bad thing, just a thing I've seen multiple times.

The book had the "voice over" with Wade explaining thing also...
CrckrJack

Ready Player One

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:33 pm

I know that spielberg didn't want to put a ton of references to himself in the movie, but then he still went ahead and put a T-Rex (jurassic park) and King Kong in it? Idgi.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Ready Player One

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:39 pm

CrckrJack wrote:I know that spielberg didn't want to put a ton of references to himself in the movie, but then he still went ahead and put a T-Rex (jurassic park) and King Kong in it? Idgi.
It was referencing Jurassic World and Kong: Skull Island.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Ready Player One

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:37 pm

I thought of this while watching the movie, but forgot it afterwards
► Show Spoiler
Tyler
Owner

Ready Player One

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:45 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post I thought of this while watching the movie, but forgot it afterwards
► Show Spoiler

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:
Good call, and on slappers only no less! That's the mode Oddjob has the biggest advantage
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:14 am

Do I smell a sequel already? But it couldn't be filmed on Tuesdays or Thursdays because it makes total sense to shut down something for 2 days like that.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Ready Player One

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:54 am

Actually not opposed to a sequel. The world of Oasis could be explored it a lot of different ways.

However, Armada is being made into a movie.
► Show Spoiler
bmyoungs

Ready Player One

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:42 pm

DannyFanny wrote:Actually not opposed to a sequel. The world of Oasis could be explored it a lot of different ways.

However, Armada is being made into a movie.
► Show Spoiler
Armada does not deserve a movie

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
purple_hayes

Ready Player One

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:45 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
CrckrJack wrote:I know that spielberg didn't want to put a ton of references to himself in the movie, but then he still went ahead and put a T-Rex (jurassic park) and King Kong in it? Idgi.
It was referencing Jurassic World and Kong: Skull Island.

Read an article... Speilberg refused any use from his movies, he didn't want this to be a love fest of all things 'Speilberg'. The only reference that was allowed was the T-Rex from Jurassic Park. But the CGI engineers kept trying to sneak stuff in. I can't wait for the digital release of this film, that way I can watch it at home to pick up things in the background that I missed while I was trying to focus on the storyline.
purple_hayes

Ready Player One

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:57 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Thanks Watson! Im reading that you didn't like the movie because it wasn't the same for you as the book. Impossible question to answer, but if you didn't have the book knowledge would you have enjoyed it more?

It's been awhile since I've read the book so I forgot about the key/gates being separate challenges. No way the movie had time to do all that. I do think a book can be turned into a single movie without part A and part B, but maybe they picked the wrong plot points to focus their time on.

I have not read the book, I have many of the same nostalgic markers as Watson does, and I enjoyed the movie. The person I went to the movie with had read the book, although she wasn't as disappointed as WAtson was, she understood the changes. Making the games more challenging along with the whole moving from Oklahoma to Columbus, becoming fat then losing the weight, and then realizing you need a team to take you through the game all seems excessive to me. Where it would be great book filler, its not needed in the movie. The messsage of realizing you need help, need to connect in the real world, and the value of friendship was established pretty well in the movie. My biggest complaint is the massive amount of information thats shoved at you. Seems you'd be able to sift that out better in the book. The time in the Oasis and the challenges for the keys, all seemed like a typical video game you'd pick up today for your XBox, PS or PC.
Tyler
Owner

Ready Player One

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:13 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post My biggest complaint is the massive amount of information thats shoved at you. Seems you'd be able to sift that out better in the book.

I agree. During the movie I kept thinking how non-book readers were able to parse all of this because they didn't connect all the dots very well.
purple_hayes

Ready Player One

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:27 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post My biggest complaint is the massive amount of information thats shoved at you. Seems you'd be able to sift that out better in the book.

I agree. During the movie I kept thinking how non-book readers were able to parse all of this because they didn't connect all the dots very well.

I've learned in movies, sometimes you have to pay attention... heck, I got the hint about going backwards in the game before Parzial did. Honestly, the movie is very 'meh' and the story has been told many times... I"m sure you can apply Tim's Marvel run down to this very movie... Introduce the Hero, Introduce the Villian... blah, blah, blah. Heck, you could say that they had a giant death ray with floating stuff around it, if you want to apply that to the that magic orb thing. I thought it was cool that the Iron Giant and Gundam fought against Mecha-Godzilla. The whole Shining thing was wicked cool. Tyler, have you seen The Shining? Did you get all of those references?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:33 am

I have not seen The Shining, but I know enough about it that I was able to understand most of that scene.
Watson2000

Ready Player One

Postby Watson2000 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:09 am

Friend of mine posted this on Facebook, and I thought it summed it up nicely...

"I went to see the New Steven Spielberg movie Ready Player One last Night. There is also a book by that name which is kind of confusing. Steven Spielberg is a great director who can do pretty much do as he pleases but I would think the studio legal department would have informed him there may be a conflict. The similarities don't stop at the films name. Several of the character names are the same as those in the book. I mean they are the exact same names. This can not be a coincidence. Even the plot bears a glancing similarity to the one in the famous novel. I wonder if Spielberg had read halfway through the novel at some point, perhaps on the set of Lincoln? Or maybe he overheard someone describing the plot of the book and subconsciously internalized some of the novel's themes. The plot is sufficiently different that I don't believe Ernest Cline, the author of the bestseller of the same name would be able to successfully sue Spielberg for infringement of copyright but still I would look for some kind of litigation." - John Hanson

Return to “Movies”