Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Wonder Woman

Discuss your favorite movies
CrckrJack

Wonder Woman

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:11 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Kind of related...how can places like Hooters get away with only hiring female waitresses? Should the same guys that are upset about WW showings be going after restaurants like that?

I think it's like how strip clubs only (mostly?) hire female strippers.
wags83

Wonder Woman

Postby wags83 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:14 pm

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Kind of related...how can places like Hooters get away with only hiring female waitresses? Should the same guys that are upset about WW showings be going after restaurants like that?

I think it's like how strip clubs only (mostly?) hire female strippers.

It's probably something like the job title being "model" vs "server". I think if you're officially a model, your employer can require more appearance-type things.
megatron

Wonder Woman

Postby megatron » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:45 pm

Corey and I went to wonder woman on Friday night...I liked it a lot! The Amazon women are all badasses. I was worried that the fight scenes would seem forced because I think non-athletic women can look awkward trying to throw fists and stuff, but they turned out really cool. gal Gadot was great!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Blue Jackets

Wonder Woman

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:32 am

Tyler
Owner

Wonder Woman

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:19 am

Thor solo movies are not very successful. This 3rd one will probably make more than the 2 combined.
bmyoungs

Wonder Woman

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:44 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Image

No guardians 2?
Tyler
Owner

Wonder Woman

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:21 am

I saw it last night with the 2 biggest DCEU fans in the world, Wilkins and purple_hayes. I assume both of them will dislike it because it was actually a good movie. It was the best DC movie since The Dark Knight, hands down.

If I wouldn't have known anything about the director of the movie I would have thought for sure it was Zach Snyder. So much of this movie reminded me of 300 and Sucker Punch. Patty Jenkins took the best visual elements out of those movies and put them into WW. The iconic slow-mo-speed-up of 300 was used in a lot of the action scenes with WW and I thought it worked very well.

Something that separates this movie from the other DCEU movies and Marvel movies is that it was fun without being campy. BvS tried so hard to be dark and gritty that it didn't leave much room for fun scenes. Marvel movies try to be non-stop fun and turn into comedy-action. WW was able to entertain without finding the need to crack a joke every 15 seconds like Marvel.

Highlight of the movie for me was the No Man's Land battle sequence and the fight continuing into the village. This action sequence was superior to the Ares fight, which was probably my least favorite part of the movie. Ares and WW fighting wasn't very interesting or entertaining to me. It's not fun watching 2 gods fight when there aren't any stakes for them. I doubt Ares is gone for good.

I also enjoyed watching WW in London and outside of her island. She is so innocent about everything. "Oh! a baby!"

Some spoilers below!

I think Gal Gadot and Chris Pine are both above-average They had such great chemistry. The scene with them on the boat was especially funny and cute. I know Gadot received some hate when she originally cast as WW for BvS, but her two performances as the character should have convinced everyone by now that she makes a great WW. It helps that she's one of the prettiest actresses in Hollywood, but she also has a great presence and is so charming.

I do have some criticism for the movie though. Like I said above, the Ares stuff at the end was pretty lame. I personally was surprised by the Ares reveal, but Watson2000 said he saw it coming from a mile away, I'm guessing he's in the minority though. There were a lot of red herrings I thought with Dr. Poison lady and her potential to be the god of War. The real Ares villain was a let down and ended with your generic superhero battle fight.

Some of the CGI in this movie was bad. Remember above when I said the movie reminded me of Sucker Punch, this is why. I don't think it was bad because they skimped on it, I think it was a style choice, and one I didn't like.

There were some odd cuts. I am sure there will be an extended ultimate edition that clears that up.
purple_hayes

Wonder Woman

Postby purple_hayes » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:31 am

Tyler wrote:There were some odd cuts. I am sure there will be an extended ultimate edition that clears that up.

Not like you care if there is one... you won't watch it even if its the far superior film.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Wonder Woman

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:56 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Highlight of the movie for me was the No Man's Land battle sequence and the fight continuing into the village. This action sequence was superior to the Ares fight, which was probably my least favorite part of the movie. Ares and WW fighting wasn't very interesting or entertaining to me. It's not fun watching 2 gods fight when there aren't any stakes for them. I doubt Ares is gone for good.

I thought this was good. The music was good enough to make it fairly emotional while it was happening.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post think Gal Gadot and Chris Pine are both above-average They had such great chemistry. The scene with them on the boat was especially funny and cute. I know Gadot received some hate when she originally cast as WW for BvS, but her two performances as the character should have convinced everyone by now that she makes a great WW. It helps that she's one of the prettiest actresses in Hollywood, but she also has a great presence and is so charming.

I completely agree. This was refreshing, and it was nice to see a superhero seem to have a genuine happiness about her. I know in the comics/justice league cartoons, Diana tends to get a little more stand-offish, but never really loses her optimism.

Tyler wrote:Source of the post do have some criticism for the movie though. Like I said above, the Ares stuff at the end was pretty lame. I personally was surprised by the Ares reveal, but Watson2000 said he saw it coming from a mile away, I'm guessing he's in the minority though. There were a lot of red herrings I thought with Dr. Poison lady and her potential to be the god of War. The real Ares villain was a let down and ended with your generic superhero battle fight.

I didn't think the scene was the worst until the very end when he put on the armor. I knew the actor playing Ares was probably going to be a dik4 at some point, but I didn't think he was Ares. The final fight AFTER the armor reminded me of a boss in God Of War. I did like the daydream sequence? with Ares when they went back and showed the rubble of war and watch it all grow over with green after humans were gone. That was probably the most convincing portion to get WW to turn evil or at least question man's motives.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Some of the CGI in this movie was bad. Remember above when I said the movie reminded me of Sucker Punch, this is why. I don't think it was bad because they skimped on it, I think it was a style choice, and one I didn't like.

Especially in the beginning. There was some really bad CGI, but then there was really wonderfully done explosions, like when Ares first explodes her out of the guard tower (the white blast). I thought that was super neat.

After this, I would agree this is probably the best DC movie, however, and I know you all hate me, I think I liked BvS more. I'm a huge fan of Henry Cavill as Superman, and I thought it was done really well.
purple_hayes

Wonder Woman

Postby purple_hayes » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:18 am

cwilkins88 wrote:After this, I would agree this is probably the best DC movie, however, and I know you all hate me, I think I liked BvS more. I'm a huge fan of Henry Cavill as Superman, and I thought it was done really well.

Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice Utimate Edition is a fantasic movie. I love how they handled Wonder Woman in that movie better. I thought that her distinct music was so kick ass, I missed it in her stand alone movie.
CrckrJack

Wonder Woman

Postby CrckrJack » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:16 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice Utimate Edition is a fantasic movie. I love how they handled Wonder Woman in that movie better. I thought that her distinct music was so kick ass, I missed it in her stand alone movie.

Every thread.
CrckrJack

Wonder Woman

Postby CrckrJack » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:19 am

I saw this last night. I was pretty disappointed. I'm not really sure what about. I think I just hate the WW1 atmosphere in non-war movies. I liked the scenes on the island the most and then everything after that was kind of a let down.

Some of the shots on the island were really beautiful.
purple_hayes

Wonder Woman

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:35 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post I saw this last night. I was pretty disappointed. I'm not really sure what about. I think I just hate the WW1 atmosphere in non-war movies. I liked the scenes on the island the most and then everything after that was kind of a let down.

Some of the shots on the island were really beautiful.

Wow... I don't know what to say... only a Dr Who fan would be disappointed in this movie's effects, scenes and story. I get that WW1 isn't the most attractive event to ever happen but dude... c'mon. Wonder Woman is so kick ass and the chemistry Gal had with Chris Pine is incredible. The whole point was to show she grew up in Paradise but when she gets to the world of man, its dark, gloomy and harsh.
CrckrJack

Wonder Woman

Postby CrckrJack » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:52 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post The whole point was to show she grew up in Paradise but when she gets to the world of man, its dark, gloomy and harsh.

I get that, i was just saying that the island scenery was awesome.

It felt like watching a reskinned Captain America tbf
purple_hayes

Wonder Woman

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:57 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post The whole point was to show she grew up in Paradise but when she gets to the world of man, its dark, gloomy and harsh.

I get that, i was just saying that the island scenery was awesome.

It felt like watching a reskinned Captain America tbf

From articles I've read, they chose WW1 to seperate it from Captain America and this is one of the last wars fought face to face per old fighting styles as WW2 was a war that was mostly fought without seeing the enemy, which was to make it have more of an effect on Wonder Woman. One that would make her question why she would save humankind at all, you know Fifth Element style.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Wonder Woman

Postby Tyler » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:15 pm

Martin, did you listen to the Fatman on Batman about WW? The cohost made those same points and why WW1 was a great choice.

Tim is right though, the whole movie is pretty similar to Captain America, even with a plane flying away with a bomb
purple_hayes

Wonder Woman

Postby purple_hayes » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:03 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Martin, did you listen to the Fatman on Batman about WW? The cohost made those same points and why WW1 was a great choice.

Tim is right though, the whole movie is pretty similar to Captain America, even with a plane flying away with a bomb

I did listen to that review, after I posted this though... I do believe.

I agree there are similarities. The two characters are very similar in the comic books. Both were released around World War 2 and fought to help the Allies win the war. Both fight with compassion and usually the voice of reason in their respective teams. So, you weren't getting away from the similarities. Let's be honest, DC and Marvel have stolen ideas from each other for years, they even trade characters too... like Marvel's original Captain Marvel getting sold to DC, if I remember the story correctly is the Shazam character who was originally called Capt Marvel still but was brought about by yelling 'Shazam'. Anyway, I think Wonder Woman sets itself apart from all comic book movies, is the fact that this is the first successful solo female comic book movie. The 'No Man's Land' scene is absolutely amazing. If you can place yourself in a female perspective, this is huge. The movie is great, should be seen by everyone. I hope that DC follows this lead to correct the DCEU path.
CrckrJack

Wonder Woman

Postby CrckrJack » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:06 pm

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post The 'No Man's Land' scene is absolutely amazing.

I thought the beginning of this scene was like.. the dumbest thing i have ever seen in a movie. Literally every gun shooting at her? i don't think so. 4 dudes are able to overcome and entire trenched in army while she takes all the bullets? Don't think so.

I get that it's a movie and stuff but this and a lot of other things really pulled me out of the movie. I understand that i am in the minority and i would suggest other people to go to it still because i know it is a fan pleaser.
purple_hayes

Wonder Woman

Postby purple_hayes » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:18 pm

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post The 'No Man's Land' scene is absolutely amazing.

I thought the beginning of this scene was like.. the dumbest thing i have ever seen in a movie. Literally every gun shooting at her? i don't think so. 4 dudes are able to overcome and entire trenched in army while she takes all the bullets? Don't think so.

I get that it's a movie and stuff but this and a lot of other things really pulled me out of the movie. I understand that i am in the minority and i would suggest other people to go to it still because i know it is a fan pleaser.

You are totally missing the point of what that scene is about. First, its so hostile that its called 'No Man's Land'. Second, she's a woman who chooses to go where 'no man' can or are willing to go. They just sat there for over a year, not able to move the line, she does it one act. You see her beginning to realize her true power. As she is taking on ALL of the bullets, it allows others to follow her. She becomes this leader, this symbol of hope, this symbol of power and overcoming the impossible... and she's a woman. If it was Superman who did it, we'd say 'oh hum, another feat of Superman' or 'oh hey, look what Superman did'. This is a woman, get it. For the first time in cinematic history, you are seeing a woman be stronger, be more powerful and accomplish the impossible without the aid of a man. She does what the men couldn't do nor were willing to do... charge the guns. She saves the city. Without this scene, the gravity of losing the city to gas wouldn't be as powerful to the viewer. Little girls will watch this movie, particurally this scene, and realize they can be just as strong, just as powerful, and accomplish whatever they want, just like a man can... get it? You may think its stupid, but its not. Its amazing and powerful.

I know you are entitled to your opinion... but when you are wrong, I just have to tell you. :D
Last edited by purple_hayes on Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Wonder Woman

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:19 pm

I actually agree with Tim on this one. I liked the scene after it started. But initially, it was kinda dumb.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Return to “Movies”