Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Wonder Woman

Discuss your favorite movies
purple_hayes

Wonder Woman

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 31, 2017 9:31 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post My point is that you dismiss DCEU movies because they aren't Marvel.

I dismiss them because they aren't good. It has nothing to do with them not being MCU. I would love to see DC do dark/gritty, but they haven't been able to pull it off. BvS looked like a million bucks, almost all DC movies do, but their stories just aren't good.

The point isn't that their mother's names are both Martha... the point is that its a breaking point in his rage. He realizes that this thing has a mother, that his last words are to save this Martha. Who just happens to be the same name as his mother. You see it in his face after he says the name. He goes from rage filled to docile. People get hung up on that concept but are missing the bigger picture. Batman is rage fueled and laser focused on killing Superman until the mention of his mother humanizes him and Batman stops.
purple_hayes

Wonder Woman

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 31, 2017 9:32 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Cinematic releases, I'd agree. I really want you to watch the director's cut. I KNOW YOU SHOULDNT HAVE TO!!! GOSH

I just want to say that i am with wilkins on thsi one. Kathryn and i both really enjoyed BvS

And remember I hate superman!!!!

See... Even Tim gets it.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Wonder Woman

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:37 am

The Martha thing could've been done better, but the rest of the movie is solid.
purple_hayes

Wonder Woman

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 31, 2017 9:39 am

Lets be honest... if nothing else... Batman vs Superman is the best example of introducing a character in any cinematic universe. When Wonder Woman jumps in front to save Batman... that music... that moment... wow. I get chills everytime. I've watched the movie at least 10 times now, each time I get wicked pumped. Its like HELL YEAH!! That one scene makes me want to see her stand alone movie. I can not say that about any other moment in a DC or Marvel movie.
Last edited by purple_hayes on Wed May 31, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
purple_hayes

Wonder Woman

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 31, 2017 9:41 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post The Martha thing could've been done better, but the rest of the movie is solid.

Agreed. The moment is so dumb that you lose the reasoning behind it. But if you set aside the stupid part and realize its the moment that Batman sees Superman as something other than a tyranical god menace, that he is human, he has a life, that he belongs here, you see it for what its supposed to be. Just sucks that its delievery is put on the fact that both of their Mom's name is Martha.
CrckrJack

Wonder Woman

Postby CrckrJack » Wed May 31, 2017 9:43 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post I've watched the movie at least 10 times now

omg it is like 3.5 hours long
Tyler
Owner

Wonder Woman

Postby Tyler » Wed May 31, 2017 9:48 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post Lets be honest... if nothing else... Batman vs Superman is the best example of introducing a character in any cinematic universe.

You mean when the movie pauses the plot for 10 minutes so Bruce Wayne can open email attachments about Aquaman, Cyborg, and The Flash? That was such natural story telling and didn't feel forced at all.
purple_hayes

Wonder Woman

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 31, 2017 9:48 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post I've watched the movie at least 10 times now

omg it is like 3.5 hours long

Only 3hr 3min. Its a great movie to watch. I find new stuff everytime I watch it.
CrckrJack

Wonder Woman

Postby CrckrJack » Wed May 31, 2017 9:49 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post You mean when the movie pauses the plot for 10 minutes so Bruce Wayne can open email attachments about Aquaman, Cyborg, and The Flash? That was such natural story telling and didn't feel forced at all.

It actually felt pretty natural to me, tbh
purple_hayes

Wonder Woman

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 31, 2017 9:50 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post Lets be honest... if nothing else... Batman vs Superman is the best example of introducing a character in any cinematic universe.

You mean when the movie pauses the plot for 10 minutes so Bruce Wayne can open email attachments about Aquaman, Cyborg, and The Flash? That was such natural story telling and didn't feel forced at all.

And... its an example of how not to introduce new characters... and I believe it was Wonder Woman who watched the vids. Batman only saw the photo of Wonder Woman in WW1.
Tyler
Owner

Wonder Woman

Postby Tyler » Wed May 31, 2017 9:52 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post It actually felt pretty natural to me, tbh

You have to be joking! That would have made such a better mid credit scene
purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post And... its an example of how not to introduce new characters... and I believe it was Wonder Woman who watched the vids. Batman only saw the photo of Wonder Woman in WW1.

You're right. Bruce sends it to WW.
CrckrJack

Wonder Woman

Postby CrckrJack » Wed May 31, 2017 9:52 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post You have to be joking! That would have made such a better mid credit scene

...yes.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Wonder Woman

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:54 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post And... its an example of how not to introduce new characters... and I believe it was Wonder Woman who watched the vids. Batman only saw the photo of Wonder Woman in WW1.

I didn't think it was bad. If we want to talk about bad, let's talk about the Civil War scene where all the super heroes play fight for like 45 minutes, and apologize every time they hurt each other. I HATE YOUR OPINION SO MUCH, ILL DIE FOR IT! "Omg, jk are you alright, i think I broke your nail" *in the background* "DERR IM SPIDERMAN IM A KID AN I LOVE THIS <Catchphrase plus squealing>"
purple_hayes

Wonder Woman

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 31, 2017 9:55 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post You have to be joking! That would have made such a better mid credit scene

...yes.

Her opening the email before getting on a flight out of town was a bit... weird. It fits where it is due to the setting of the scene, her clothing, what she's doing... I do love the idea of making it a cut credit scene though. That would have been cool. But then you would have had DC fan boys getting upset they didn't have Flash and Aquaman sooner.
Tyler
Owner

Wonder Woman

Postby Tyler » Wed May 31, 2017 9:59 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I didn't think it was bad. If we want to talk about bad, let's talk about the Civil War scene where all the super heroes play fight for like 45 minutes, and apologize every time they hurt each other. I HATE YOUR OPINION SO MUCH, ILL DIE FOR IT! "Omg, jk are you alright, i think I broke your nail" *in the background* "DERR IM SPIDERMAN IM A KID AN I LOVE THIS <Catchphrase plus squealing>"

They are just like us. We/they are friends who disagree, but we/they don't want to kill each other.

Both scenes in question are 100% fan services. Civil War isn't the best MCU movie, but that scene was better fan service than the email attachment one. Hello...Giant Man?!?!? Hilarious
purple_hayes

Wonder Woman

Postby purple_hayes » Wed May 31, 2017 10:00 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post

I didn't think it was bad. If we want to talk about bad, let's talk about the Civil War scene where all the super heroes play fight for like 45 minutes, and apologize every time they hurt each other. I HATE YOUR OPINION SO MUCH, ILL DIE FOR IT! "Omg, jk are you alright, i think I broke your nail" *in the background* "DERR IM SPIDERMAN IM A KID AN I LOVE THIS <Catchphrase plus squealing>"

That is HILARIOUS!!! That was one of the issues I had with Civil War... lost my emersion as I was thinking about a guy stumbling upon this going... 'WTF are all these cosplay people doing?'

I got you with my spider web... nuh huh did not, I blocked it with my sheild... hold still while I jump and move my fingers around menacingly. Stop it or I'll tell Mom.
wags83

Wonder Woman

Postby wags83 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:06 am

I don't dismiss DC movies at all. I loved the Christian Bale Batman movies and how they were darker, grittier, more realistic than other super hero movies. It seems like the new DCEU movies want to hold on to that darkness/grittiness but also want to be like the MCU and they turn into a hybrid that has the worst of both worlds.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Wonder Woman

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:36 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I didn't think it was bad. If we want to talk about bad, let's talk about the Civil War scene where all the super heroes play fight for like 45 minutes, and apologize every time they hurt each other. I HATE YOUR OPINION SO MUCH, ILL DIE FOR IT! "Omg, jk are you alright, i think I broke your nail" *in the background* "DERR IM SPIDERMAN IM A KID AN I LOVE THIS <Catchphrase plus squealing>"

They are just like us. We/they are friends who disagree, but we/they don't want to kill each other.

Both scenes in question are 100% fan services. Civil War isn't the best MCU movie, but that scene was better fan service than the email attachment one. Hello...Giant Man?!?!? Hilarious

Then why even fight!! The scene with Stark and Captain America was good, but the rest seemed forced and dumb.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Wonder Woman

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:37 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I don't dismiss DC movies at all. I loved the Christian Bale Batman movies and how they were darker, grittier, more realistic than other super hero movies. It seems like the new DCEU movies want to hold on to that darkness/grittiness but also want to be like the MCU and they turn into a hybrid that has the worst of both worlds.

I've said this before, but the MAIN problem with these movies is that they make a completely immersive movie, and then producers get a hold of it, and say "hey guys, guess what. This movie is took long. Let's take out EVERY SINGLE PIECE of material that ties the scenes together." And then they don't understand why people think it's confusing.
wags83

Wonder Woman

Postby wags83 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:39 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post I don't dismiss DC movies at all. I loved the Christian Bale Batman movies and how they were darker, grittier, more realistic than other super hero movies. It seems like the new DCEU movies want to hold on to that darkness/grittiness but also want to be like the MCU and they turn into a hybrid that has the worst of both worlds.

I've said this before, but the MAIN problem with these movies is that they make a completely immersive movie, and then producers get a hold of it, and say "hey guys, guess what. This movie is took long. Let's take out EVERY SINGLE PIECE of material that ties the scenes together." And then they don't understand why people think it's confusing.

That's probably it. One of my biggest gripes with BvS was that it felt so segmented. It seemed to have some good set pieces but it was all tied together so terribly that it ruined the movie.

Return to “Movies”