Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Room (2003) and The Disaster Artist (2017)

Discuss your favorite movies
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:22 am

The Disaster Artist was great. Franco is certainly going to get an Oscar nomination because he disappeared into the role of Tommy. You never feel like you're watching someone doing a Tommy impression, it's just Tommy.

My only compliant with the movie is I want to know what's complete fact vs fiction. I've heard Greg on a podcast before and he never once mentioned living with Tommy. I should probably read his book, but Tommy claims the book is only 40% accurate...but the movie is based on the book and he says the movie is 99% accurate. I don't think anyone will truly know everything because Tommy changes his story every time he tells it. From my understanding though, Greg was originally hired as crew and Tommy fired a different actor who was playing Mark just so Greg could take the role.
Update: I guess they did live together. From the book - Tommy moved out of the apartment in LA, not Greg. Tommy moved back to San Francisco, and was severely depressed

Zac Efron was so good as Chris-R that I didn't even know it was him until the end..when Jocelyn told me it was him.

How old are you?
I’m Greg age.
You’re 19? Sure, and I just turned 14.
Happy birthday.

From Reddit:
As much as I liked the movie, the book is honestly very very good. I highly recommend the audio version. It's narrated by the author, who played mark in The Room and he says all of tommy's dialogue in his accent. Definitely adds to the immersion and is just way better than reading it yourself!

And no, The Bryan Cranston/Malcolm in the Middle thing never happened.

Johnny storming out of the preview and Greg reassuring him wasn't in the book (and may have been entirely fictionalized).

The reason The Room was made was not because of Greg's comment about making his own movie, it was after he and Tommy went to see The Talented Mr. Ripley and Tommy was so in awe of the film he wanted to make his own. Mark is the name of the character because Tommy thought Matt Damon's name was Mark.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:10 am

I'll be damned, he's gonna make a bunch of money off of making the worst movie ever.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:15 am

Saw The Disaster Artist last night. Erin watched the honest trailer for The Room so she wasn't completely lost. Definitely need to have some knowledge of The Room before seeing this or it'll just be a weird movie, but I enjoyed it. I laughed a lot during the movie, but I feel like I was the only one in the theater laughing, so maybe those other people just never saw The Room?

This movie kinda makes you feel bad for Tommy. He seems (at least initially) like a genuinely good guy trying to do everything he can to achieve his dream while also helping a friend achieve his too. Obviously, he makes a few d-bag moves in how he treats the rest of the cast and crew, but still, he's just trying to be successful. It would be interesting to know how accurate it actually is to the real events.

Also, the remade shots they did from the original movie were pretty cool. I wonder if they did the whole movie or just those few scenes that were shown.
Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:43 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Saw The Disaster Artist last night. Erin watched the honest trailer for The Room so she wasn't completely lost. Definitely need to have some knowledge of The Room before seeing this or it'll just be a weird movie, but I enjoyed it. I laughed a lot during the movie, but I feel like I was the only one in the theater laughing, so maybe those other people just never saw The Room?

This movie kinda makes you feel bad for Tommy. He seems (at least initially) like a genuinely good guy trying to do everything he can to achieve his dream while also helping a friend achieve his too. Obviously, he makes a few d-bag moves in how he treats the rest of the cast and crew, but still, he's just trying to be successful. It would be interesting to know how accurate it actually is to the real events.

Also, the remade shots they did from the original movie were pretty cool. I wonder if they did the whole movie or just those few scenes that were shown.

This was the exact opposite experience than we had at our theater uptown. Every time Tommy talked, there were people laughing uncontrollably, which actually got pretty annoying.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:04 am

I was expecting a lot more laughter, but there was hardly any.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:56 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post This movie kinda makes you feel bad for Tommy. He seems (at least initially) like a genuinely good guy trying to do everything he can to achieve his dream while also helping a friend achieve his too. Obviously, he makes a few d-bag moves in how he treats the rest of the cast and crew, but still, he's just trying to be successful. It would be interesting to know how accurate it actually is to the real events.

Tommy says he likes the movie and its accurate, but like I said above, that doens't mean anything with this guy since he is always changing his story

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Also, the remade shots they did from the original movie were pretty cool. I wonder if they did the whole movie or just those few scenes that were shown.

They did 25 minutes worth.

Corey, did you see it opening weekend? Probably a lot of The Room cult fans so they found it all hilarious. I laughed quite a bit at just the absurdity, but I noticed no one else was. There were only 20ish people in our theater though.
Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:05 pm

We saw it the weekend before it was widely released so it was completely packed every showing all weekend. It was the only theater in the area showing it.
Sarah

Postby Sarah » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:09 pm

Bradley is making me watch The Room right now so that we have "context" for The Disaster Artist.... I blame you all for this. I can feel my brain dying.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:23 pm

Sarah wrote:Source of the post Bradley is making me watch The Room right now so that we have "context" for The Disaster Artist.... I blame you all for this. I can feel my brain dying.

Lol. You will enjoy the Disaster Artist a lot more because of it.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:55 am

Watching these recently made me enjoy this more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttKn1eGKTew
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: The Room (2003) and The Disaster Artist (2017)

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:50 pm

Who wants to watch this in VR?
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:55 pm

I don't know if I could bring myself to watch "The Room" a second.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:58 am

I can't to see the making of movie, about the making of movie, about The Room.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:27 pm

This oddly works better the less he tries.

Wiseau serious?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFjFxgHedgM
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:20 am

It really seems like he's never seen The Dark Knight the way he inflects very well known phrases like "Why.....so serious?"

Return to “Movies”