Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

David Ayer to Direct Will Smith & Joel Edgerton in Bright

Discuss your favorite movies
Tyler
Owner

Re: David Ayer to Direct Will Smith & Joel Edgerton in Bright

Postby Tyler » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:37 am

I'm guessing I won't have time to watch this until after the new year. I won't be offended if anyone gets impatient and watches it without me.
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:10 am

wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:59 am

So Netflix is just gonna keep making horrible movies and pretend everything is cool.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:55 pm

Worst movie ever made!!!!!!
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:15 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Worst movie ever made!!!!!!

Um... I loved this movie. Was funny... totally gets the feeling like they made Training Day into a world where Lord of the Rings was real.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:49 pm

Should have read this before the other thread.
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:34 am

Audiences Seem To Love ‘Bright’ As Much As Critics Hate It
https://decider.com/2017/12/26/audience ... t-netflix/
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: David Ayer to Direct Will Smith & Joel Edgerton in Bright

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:20 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Audiences Seem To Love ‘Bright’ As Much As Critics Hate It
https://decider.com/2017/12/26/audience ... t-netflix/
I know we will love it.

What day this week are we watching?
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:39 am

I'll watch in big screen. Sarah won't watch it with me

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
purple_hayes

Favorite movies of 2017

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:28 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Wow, Bright is pretty high up on that list.

I really liked it. Although the buddy cop style movie isn't anything new, thought it was kinda cool to add in a fantasy world setting with Elves, Ogres, and fairies into the mix. I've read some of the critics reviews of the movie, which seems overly contrite due to the fact the movie was a big budget movie to be released on Netflix and not in to theaters. I think they panned it to spite the new way of releasing a movie. Again, there is nothing truly new or ground breaking about the movie, as the storyline has been done... the take on social inequality has been done... in fant this director has done this exact movie several times. But much like John Wick, the world is deep and rich, full of possibilities, which can draw you in. I thougtht it was fun, and look forward to sequels.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:15 am

I can't wait and I haven't even seen the first one!
Watching tonight with the boys
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:16 am

First, I need to fix my PC. Sucked I couldnt talk to you guys during most of the movie and I had a bad echo whenever you guys were talking. I tried muting you and that didn't work.

I think I liked the movie more than you guys, based on what I could hear. I don't think it was amazing, but I mostly enjoyed watching it. I think I'm like Purple_Hayes and the world itself was more interesting to me than the story.
27% critics and 87% audience.
Conspiracy theory, but many people think critics wanted it to fail since it was a Netflix movie and is breaking the mold of traditional cinema

Things I liked:
-The different races. It wasn't a 1:1 representation of races we have. I like it was a blend of a lot of things
-The fed elf is actually a good guy. You think most of the movie that he wants the wand for himself, but he is honestly just trying to do his job.
-the tagging Orc comes back and doesn't kill Nick
-practical effects for the characters. Joel Edgerton was fun to watch in the orc getup
-Will Smith telling his wife to leave town and she actually does

The Dumb:
-The wand elves kill dozens of guys at once, but somehow Will Smith and the orc are able to defeat all 3 of them, even when the bad elves have the jump on them.
-"Blooded"
-Was a little hard to keep up with all the lore of the Dark Lord. 9 armies beat him, so there are 9 different races?

Closing thoughts:
Ayer's last film was Suicide Squad. No way this is worse than that. I think people are overly hard on this.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:51 am

I agree with the thought that the world this takes place in is better than the story. I don't think it was awful, but I can't say I really liked it. My biggest issue with it is the lack of background and context. We're thrown into this fantasy world and all we know is there was a big war thousands of years ago but now different races live in relative harmony. We also have no idea what the motive of the bad guys are until the movie is damn near over. An elf girl who barely says anything tells us that bad people are coming and we just need to take her at her word.

Also, I didn't care about that elf girl at all. She had no character development and her only lines were frantic screaming or almost dying. Yet we are supposed to really be concerned about her well being and then feel all warm and fuzzy at the end when we see her in the crowd.

Another thing that was annoying is how they mention some sort of prophecy and how Nick and Ward are part of it, but that also is never really explained. Oh, and Ward can use magic but that doesn't seem to be important after the one time he used it.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:23 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post -the tagging Orc comes back and doesn't kill Nick

This made me roll my eyes so hard. Not because its a bad plot device, its kind of cool. But because this director is supposed to be soooo 'edgy and breaking the mold', that he literally steals a plot device from HIS OWN MOVIE training day, to do it. Dude is a lazy storyteller. I was entertained by the movie, but the first 50 min of this movie was literally just training day.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:18 am

I agree wags, I never cared about the nice elf wizard at all. They tried to Fifth Element her, but I just didn't care.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:02 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
I think I liked the movie more than you guys, based on what I could hear. I don't think it was amazing, but I mostly enjoyed watching it. I think I'm like Purple_Hayes and the world itself was more interesting to me than the story.
Conspiracy theory, but many people think critics wanted it to fail since it was a Netflix movie and is breaking the mold of traditional cinema

In Hollywood, it seems all we have is retreads, reboots, sequels, or comic book movies anymore. This was basically a retread. It seemed like the guy who wrote it and Ayer got high one night and was like... you got an idea? nope, you got an idea? nope... hey... everyone loves to retread crap... how about we take parts of Training Day and parts of End of Watch, then throw them in this crazy world like Lord of the Rings or something? Dude, I think you have a movie. Either they were high... or the threw darts at a board, spun a wheel or something. All I know, what drew me in was the world surrounding this event. I want to know more. For me, its the world that really makes this movie. Similar to John Wick, granted no one does Gun Fu like Keanu Reeves, but one man army movies have been done, it was the world surrounding John Wick that was the extra added punch... and how cool Keanu is.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:13 pm

purple_hayes wrote:
Tyler wrote:Source of the post

In Hollywood, it seems all we have is retreads, reboots, sequels, or comic book movies anymore. This was basically a retread. It seemed like the guy who wrote it and Ayer got high one night and was like... you got an idea? nope, you got an idea? nope... hey... everyone loves to retread crap... how about we take parts of Training Day and parts of End of Watch, then throw them in this crazy world like Lord of the Rings or something? Dude, I think you have a movie. Either they were high... or the threw darts at a board, spun a wheel or something. All I know, what drew me in was the world surrounding this event. I want to know more. For me, its the world that really makes this movie. Similar to John Wick, granted no one does Gun Fu like Keanu Reeves, but one man army movies have been done, it was the world surrounding John Wick that was the extra added punch... and how cool Keanu is.
Tell that to Christian bale and taye diggs

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Return to “Movies”