Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Han Solo: A Star Wars Story

Discuss your favorite movies
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed May 16, 2018 7:01 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post Out next week, but reviews are coming out now. 73% on RT. Take that haters

I mean, that isn't amazing, but higher than I would have guessed.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:48 am

Will watch regardless because of donglover.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Sat May 26, 2018 5:49 pm

Watched it today. It was a fun movie, but I never felt like anything mattered. We knew Han and Chewy would make it out of every situation they were put in. It felt a little long.

► Show Spoiler
Tyler
Owner

Re: Han Solo: A Star Wars Story

Postby Tyler » Sun May 27, 2018 12:39 pm

Read a headline that solo bombed this weekend with only 83 million. Lol at that being considered a failure.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon May 28, 2018 1:25 pm

I still need to go to this. I heard it was pretty good.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon May 28, 2018 1:27 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I still need to go to this. I heard it was pretty good.

I'm going in a few weeks when Purple_Hayes is in town. I really don't care about Star Wars, but he loves the stuff and is willing to wait and see it with the group
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:26 pm

Went to this tonight. I'll write up my thoughts probably tomorrow.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Han Solo: A Star Wars Story

Postby Tyler » Mon May 28, 2018 8:28 pm

wags83 wrote:Went to this tonight. I'll write up my thoughts probably tomorrow.
Omg at least tell us if you liked it or not.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:29 pm

I did like it. There are a couple things I was confused about.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Han Solo: A Star Wars Story

Postby Tyler » Mon May 28, 2018 8:30 pm

wags83 wrote:I did like it. There are a couple things I was confused about.
Did you think Harrison Ford would be in it? I can understand your confusion
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:32 pm

Lol, yeah that was unexpected.
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue May 29, 2018 6:30 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Read a headline that solo bombed this weekend with only 83 million. Lol at that being considered a failure.

Box Office Week - Solo: A Star Wars Story debuts at #1 with a worrisome $83.3M domestic on an estimated budget of $250M-$300M. Worldwide it's even worse as the film debuted to a disastrous $65M international, less than what Deadpool 2 made internationally on its second weekend.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:09 am

So I really did like this movie but I also had a few issues with it. I hate to say it but we may be getting to the point of Star Wars fatigue as evidenced by the lower-than-expected opening weekend box office numbers. I'll still see every one until they stop making them, but the general public seems to be changing it's collective mind. Spoilers to follow below for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

I'll start with the good. I thought Alden Ehrenreich did a good job playing Han. He had to swagger and cocky confidence down pretty well. Overall, I was fine with the casting of all the characters. I like the references to the original trilogy with Lando pronouncing Han's name wrong and also incorporating "Han shot first" at the end when he kills Woody Harrelson. Speaking of Woody Harrelson, I liked his character a lot. He was basically what Han could have been if he was inherently bad instead of inherently good.

There were also some things I didn't like or thought were unnecessary. Chewy finding his family on Kessel, helping them escape, then just saying "See ya never" and letting them go separate ways seemed like a waste and a weak attempt at bringing an emotional moment to the movie. I think Donglover was trying too hard to be Lando. He was really good and a convincing Lando when he was playing poker and relaxed, but the rest of the time when he was on the ship and trying to be serious he had some kind of fake Lando voice he was trying to portray and it came off like a bad impersonation. Also, Lando's robot was pretty annoying.

There were also some things that confused me a bit. Mainly the very end when we see Emilia Clarke talking to what looks like Darth Maul. My initial thought was "That can't be Darth Maul since he was killed before the timeline of this movie" but it turns out (after reading an article explaining this) that in the Star Wars animated series Maul was revived and given new legs so it really is him. This is kind of exciting because Darth Maul is a badass and it would be cool to see more of him, but we already know Han's story after this movie going into the original trilogy and there is never mention of Darth Maul or Emilia Clarke, so I'm not sure how that would work. Unless there is a lot of time between this movie and A New Hope, I guess that's another confusing thing that I wasn't really sure exactly where this movie is on the timeline.

I'm sure I missed a lot of my original thoughts, I should have written this up right after. Like I said, it's not a bad movie and worth seeing, just some bits that bothered me.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:02 am

I saw it last night with Purple_Hayes and Watson2000. I'm going to post my thoughts first and then go back and read Wags's.

I feel like anytime I talk about a Star Wars movie I need to first explain my relationship with the movies, and that is I don't have one. I know for a fact that I have never seen the original trilogies in their completeness. I've seen all of the "new" ones, but really don't care one way or the other. I'm not a Star Wars fans, I'm a fan of good movies, and Solo was a good movie. If I was a better person I would feel a little guilty for crapping on it so much before.

Since I'm not an OG Star Wars fan I can't really get into the debate of the new kid playing a good Han or not. I didn't think he necessarily felt like Harrison Ford, but he did feel like a solid Han by the end of the movie. Donglover of course did a great Lando (from the little I know about that character).

Dryden's scar/eyes turning red when he was angry was cool. I wasn't very invested in his character or Clark's since I knew they weren't making it out of the movie. I had a strong feeling Woody would end up being the villain, but I liked that Han shot first by a mile.

I've heard some backlash about Lando's robot fighting for equal rights. I loved that character. She had most of the jokes in the movie and her cause made perfect sense to me, especially with Westworld going on right now.

Slight problems:
Some things were "too cute". Like, let's name you Solo because you don't have a family *wink wink*. Chewbacca, I need to come up with a nickname for you. *wink wink* Remember this fan favorite character from episode one that didn't really do anything? He's back *wink wink*. I was excited to see the first ever Star Wars movie without a light saber, but Maul just had to light it for 1 second...

A lot of this movie was too dark. Like, not enough light to see what was going on.

This movie tried to be dark, like in a gritty way, but didn't quite nail the tone. Woody's character looses his lover and best friend and doesn't grief or mention them again.

The universe is too small. Han and his lover randomly bumping into each other on the ship.

Han is the best pilot in the universe. He's great at fighting hand to hand. He's a great shot with a blaster. He is god. Oh, also Poe is the best pilot in the universe later and Luke was really good too. Everyone is the best at piloting! Did I mention how good Young Anakin was too?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:07 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post hate to say it but we may be getting to the point of Star Wars fatigue as evidenced by the lower-than-expected opening weekend box office numbers.

Disney should have stuck with December. Have a new Star Wars every 12 months. Not 6 and now 18.
wags83 wrote:Source of the post Chewy finding his family on Kessel, helping them escape, then just saying "See ya never" and letting them go separate ways seemed like a waste and a weak attempt at bringing an emotional moment to the movie.

Was it his family though? I just assumed his species. I don't know enough about Star Wars, but I read they were implying he feels he owes a life debt to Han (which is discussed in the OT), but Disney doesn't want to flat out call it that because a life debt is messed up.

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Also, Lando's robot was pretty annoying.

Oh...so you're one of the haters. Frickin robist
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:43 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Was it his family though?

Idk, they never come out and say it but it was kinda implied with the embrace at the end.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post I read they were implying he feels he owes a life debt to Han

This is what has always been said. I would have liked to see them explicitly say something to this effect so that people who aren't as familiar with Star Wars would understand Chewy's motivations for staying with Han. Maybe not use the term "life debt" but something.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:52 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I was excited to see the first ever Star Wars movie without a light saber, but Maul just had to light it for 1 second...

Lol, I thought this too. There was no reason for him to turn on his lightsaber
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:08 pm

52 facts about Solo from the writer

link
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:47 am

YT vid of it for me to watch later