Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Discuss your favorite movies
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:14 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Opens in 30 hours. 79% on RT with 74 reviews.

Up to 85% critics and 89% audience
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:54 am

I saw one person on facebook who didn't like it. Only saw good things otherwise.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:23 pm

Saw this yesterday morning. I really enjoyed it. It hard to compare it to other Star Wars movies because it's very much a one-off story. All the other movies are set up as part of a series and this one obviously fits into that story but
► Show Spoiler
Darth Vader being in it was cool even though he wasn't in it a lot.
► Show Spoiler
It was also neat to see some cameos of characters from the original trilogy.
► Show Spoiler
One issue I had was at the beginning of the movie they jumped around from planet to planet and it felt very segmented. There would basically be a three minute scene one place, jump to another place for another three minute scene, and this continued for the first 20 minutes of the movie.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:13 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post One issue I had was at the beginning of the movie they jumped around from planet to planet and it felt very segmented. There would basically be a three minute scene one place, jump to another place for another three minute scene, and this continued for the first 20 minutes of the movie.

That bothered me too. The ending reminded me of Halo:Reach. If anyone has played through that campaign.
Tag

Postby Tag » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:25 am

some one put a B in front of the one and a R after it down here in houston so now i just think of rogue BoneR and lol
-Tag
*Formerly known as Slumdog Billionaire

As Pat from Silver Linings Playbook says... "I've got nothing but love for you, brother."
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:27 pm

This came out on digital today. I work halfday Fridays so I was able to watch right away.

If someone were to ask me what my favorite movie franchises were Star Wars would not be on that list. I do not dislike the movies, but as I have explained before, they were never a part of my childhood (I have never owned a Star Wars toy, including a lightsaber). My dad has even told me that he saw them all in theaters when they came out but he never really "got it". Because of this, I can't think of a single time where my family sat me in front of the TV and made me watch the original trilogy. I think I saw all of the prequels in theaters, but that's because I was younger and they were movies aimed at kids.

Having said all that, I really enjoyed Rogue One. It's not going to make the top 5 list of 2016 movies for me, but I thought I enjoyed it as much as one could without knowing the rich Star Wars history or being invested in all of the characters and stories that stretches decades.

I thought it felt like Star Wars, but the tone was very different. This was not a "fun" movie, aside from K2 (more on him later). This movie was pretty dark and very depressing I thought. The ending was brutal I thought when not a single one of them made it out alive. Jyn and Cassian received a glorious death but most of the other main characters did not receive the same honor.

The scene at the end with Vader was extremely intense. From my limit Star Wars knowledge that had to have been the most powerful stuff he's done? I wish we wouldn't have seen him in the middle of the movie though, his costume looked like something you would get at Target and it didn't add much to the movie. It would have been much stronger if the only time we saw him in the movie was at the end when he was ripping people apart.

K2 is hilarious. He was the only comedic relief in the movie and I thought it worked well. Every one of his lines landed I thought. Funniest character in the franchise?
Tyler
Owner

Rogue One specific questions.
What is the difference between the rebels and the alliance? Why did Cassian kill one of Forest Whitaker's men. Both of those groups wanted to take down the Empire, but why did it seem like they were at war with each other?

Princess Leia was at that fight where the rebels were trying to take down the shield, why? Did she command a fleet of ships and they were there fighting as well? Why was her ship the only one that downloaded the plans from Jyn? Shouldn't all of those ships have been doing that? Don't they know how bit torrents work?

Leia's ship downloads the plans. The guys load it on a floppy drive. That gets to Leia. Vader boards Leia's ship and she uploads it to R2D2 in hopes of him getting it to someone that can help?

Do the prequels end with Leia gaining ownership of R2D2 and CP30? I'm sure it's the force at work, but seems pretty insane that these 2 droids have played such a vital part in almost every movie. The droid that young Anikin built just happens to be on the only ship that received the plans to destroy the Death Star?
Tyler
Owner

General Star Wars questions.
Why does the heavy gunner guy in Rogue One carry around a huge belt fed machine gun? It seems to me the most basic blaster is just as effective and is 1/50th the weight. Why use any gun other than a blaster when it comes to ground level fighting? It's not like the storm trooper armor actually deflects anything.

Why are humans fighting at all? Wasn't one of the prequel movies all about using droids to fight? Why are they no longer being used like that?

How are the Rebels funded? How can they afford to have so many spacecrafts?
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:40 pm

Tyler wrote:Rogue One specific questions.
What is the difference between the rebels and the alliance? Why did Cassian kill one of Forest Whitaker's men. Both of those groups wanted to take down the Empire, but why did it seem like they were at war with each other?

Princess Leia was at that fight where the rebels were trying to take down the shield, why? Did she command a fleet of ships and they were there fighting as well? Why was her ship the only one that downloaded the plans from Jyn? Shouldn't all of those ships have been doing that? Don't they know how bit torrents work?

Leia's ship downloads the plans. The guys load it on a floppy drive. That gets to Leia. Vader boards Leia's ship and she uploads it to R2D2 in hopes of him getting it to someone that can help?

Do the prequels end with Leia gaining ownership of R2D2 and CP30? I'm sure it's the force at work, but seems pretty insane that these 2 droids have played such a vital part in almost every movie. The droid that young Anikin built just happens to be on the only ship that received the plans to destroy the Death Star?

its the Rebel Alliance... with any resistance you have separate factions. Like they say in the movie, Forest Whitaker's character has been resisting for so long, he has built up serious paranoia where he doesn't trust anyone anymore. He's tired, and gives in.

Princess Leia's father Bail Organa played by Jimmy Smits brought her there specifically to be the decoy/pawn to carry the plans back to Yavin 4 after she was able to make contact with Obi-Wan Kenobi... as you see in Star Wars ep 4- A New Hope. Her plan is thwarted. Don't get too technical around the technology, remember this is all done a long time in a galaxy far, far away.

The prequels end with Captain Antilles taking ownership of R2-D2 & C-3PO. The reason they are there in these stories, is what many scholars believe, is that Star Wars saga is a greek tragedy, and those two droids play the greek chorus. Many times they are on just the outside of the action watching the story unfold, hence in Ancient Greek plays this was portrayed by the chorus. From what I remember, the Greek chorus is a personification of the audience within the story, therefore they represent the viewer in the movies.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:46 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post General Star Wars questions.
Why does the heavy gunner guy in Rogue One carry around a huge belt fed machine gun? It seems to me the most basic blaster is just as effective and is 1/50th the weight. Why use any gun other than a blaster when it comes to ground level fighting? It's not like the storm trooper armor actually deflects anything.

Why are humans fighting at all? Wasn't one of the prequel movies all about using droids to fight? Why are they no longer being used like that?

There is a signifcant difference in damage from the heavy gunner to a normal blaster... case in point, the beginning of the movie, he is able to shrug off the pistol blast when the target of the heavy gunner was thrown in the air.

you need to watch the prequels to answer your next set of questions... the Clone wars broke up the senate which was an extremely large collection of solar systems, those who beleive the senate was not acting in the best interests of all broke off and became known as the Separatists. The Separatists had large droid armies. After the Clone Wars ended, droids weren't very well thought of and basically outlawed, as droids were only used as basic slave labor. The Rebel Alliance is funded by the governements of the solar systems that are warring against the Empire. Many aren't as heavily armored as the Empire.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:50 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post General Star Wars questions.

I'm not sure about the belt feeder, but did you see how sweet his gun is? It seems like it auto aims and shoots exactly the amount that it needs to kill everyone. My thought went the other way and wondered why more people didn't have a gun like that.

Yes droids were used by the Trade Federation in the prequels, human clones proved to be better because they can use actual reasoning in tough situations. The clone army used by the Galactic Senate turns into the Storm Trooper army used by the Empire.

Probably angel investors.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:48 pm

You both are such big nerds. Hayes slightly more so.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:02 pm

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post Rogue One ordered to undergo reshoots this summer by Disney execs
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/mo ... d845ecbff6

wags83 wrote:Source of the post This is awesome news. Darth Vader is confirmed to be in Rogue One. http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/22/st ... ow_twitter

I didn't realize the reshoots were to add Vader into the movie. The scene with him destroying people in the star ship hallway was added just months before release
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:00 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post The scene with him destroying people in the star ship hallway was added just months before release

That was my favorite part of the whole movie.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:58 pm

Tyler
Owner

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:10 pm

Just watched honest trailer. There were a lot of scenes from the trailer that didn't make it into the movie!

I'll watch HISHE later because I love those too.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:16 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Just watched honest trailer. There were a lot of scenes from the trailer that didn't make it into the movie!

I read that the entire 3rd act was rewritten because it didn't make sense to the director. I guess originally they had two towers, one with the information and then had to run to another tower to transmit which is where the Jyn and Cassio running on the beach scene and Jyn vs Tie Fighter comes from but neither were used in the final cut of the film. I almost believe they shot the scene where she utters the famous tag line from the trailers 'this is a rebellion, right? I rebel' was shot specifically for the trailers. I really hate when they do that.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:19 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post I almost believe they shot the scene where she utters the famous tag line from the trailers 'this is a rebellion, right? I rebel' was shot specifically for the trailers. I really hate when they do that.

Right. Anyone who saw that trailer remembered that line and then it never showed up in the movie.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:30 am

HISHE made me laugh. If only K2 found a way to survive like that!

Return to “Movies”