Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Nerve - thriller with Emma Roberts and Dave Franco

Discuss your favorite movies
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:13 am

I watched this movie last night, and it's a very fun movie. It has a good premise, but would be pretty lame if they didn't show the phones and everything correctly, which they did.

Essentially, there is a game called Nerve where all users are anonymous. You can compete with everyone else in a big city (In this case New York). It's basically just a giant Dare game, but you get cash for each challenge you complete. It's paid for by the users. It's essentially 20 bucks a night for the 'watchers' to watch for the entire event.

The users vote on the events for the users, and as they compete, they get more viewers. The more viewers, the higher place you are in. The higher place, the more elaborate and dangerous the stunts and challenges are. The final two compete for a cash prize.

The movie has a really great soundtrack and the digital effects to show the phone filming is really well done. The acting is pretty great by Emma Roberts and Dave Franco. I can't remember being as entertained by a movie recently than this. Don't know why.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:36 am

That does sound interesting. "social media" movies are hip right now. I will give this a watch for sure when it comes out....which was last week on Amazon and iTunes. Cool, I will watch tonight possibly.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:42 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post That does sound interesting. "social media" movies are hip right now. I will give this a watch for sure when it comes out....which was last week on Amazon and iTunes. Cool, I will watch tonight possibly.

Most of the social media movies I've watched are absolute crap shoots. This one did it very well, showing the transparencies of the phones to not detract from the story or the shots that are done. Even the credits at the end are mesmerizing to watch.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Nerve - thriller with Emma Roberts and Dave Franco

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:22 pm

The most unrealistic part of this movie. Phones that never die! They are streaming non stop without turning off their screen and their phones never die!

It is a fun watch, but I'm having fun complain about everything to Wilkins in IM
Tyler
Owner

Re: Nerve - thriller with Emma Roberts and Dave Franco

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:01 pm

"it's open source. Can you modify the code?"
It's like Wikipedia where anyone can edit the code, but the majority has to approve it. We have bots that will up vote it for us
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:14 pm

Wilkins, if there is no central host or commander, who is picking the challenges and organizing everyone? The movie treats the watchers as if they have a hive mind

And you said it's $20 a night for a watcher to watch the night. Where did you get that info from? They never explained the economics of the game.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:18 pm

I like to guess production budgets for movies after I watch them.
I guessed 23 million, it was 20.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:57 pm

I am okay with the disbelief that you could create a program that can do challenges based on upvotes, especially if its based on viewers. If you have 23-25k viewers all looking at the same couple phones, you could definitely do some good coordination, maybe not quite as what they portray, but to make it interesting for sure.

The phones never dying was the most unbelievable for sure. I like to think when she was put in the shipping container, that they charged her phone for her.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:02 am

I agree with you that Emma Roberts and Dave Franco are a lot of fun to watch. The movie was certainly entertaining, but people who work with technology will have to turn off the reasoning part of their brain.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:26 pm

It was entertaining until the ending, that kind of ruined the whole movie for me.

Return to “Movies”