Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk

Discuss your favorite movies
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:25 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post Opens Friday. Currently at 98%

From Reddit
PSA: A warning about Dunkirk [No Spoilers]
It was VERY loud. Too loud in fact. It might be the loudest movie I've ever seen.
I don't mean like a gun shot here or an explosion there, I mean sustained loud noises for minutes at a time. For large sections of the movie the soundtrack and the effects merge in this cacophony of noise and it becomes difficult to differentiate between any of the sounds. On a number of occasions it actually distracted me from what was taking place on screen.
If you have trouble with prolonged loud noises you might consider waiting to see this until you can control the volume.
This is really unfortunate since I thought the movie was great otherwise. I've been a fan of Nolan's for a while now but man I wish the guy would allow more space in his sound mixes.

Guess i'll take my range headphones
Tyler
Owner

Re: Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:41 am

That would be hilarious.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:16 am

Obviously... its about history... so historical spoilers ahead.

I saw this movie in IMAX last night... its incredible. Its the story of British soldiers retreating to the town of Dunkirk where they were to be evacuated to England. As they stand on the beaches they can faintly see the Cliffs of Dover or more profound... home. Due to the fact the government didn't want to lose all of its ships, they did not send the Navy to extract the men. Project Dynamo was enacted by newly crowned Prime Minister Winston Churchill. Project Dynamo was to immobalize civilian ships to help recover the men. Churchill said it would be a success if they could rescue 30,000 of the over 400,000 men.

This movie is loud, no doubt about it. Earplugs may be needed if you have sensitive ears. This movie is intense. Nolan wants to put you in the moment of the soldiers standing on that beach and you do feel it. The story is told in 3 parts... land, air, and sea. Each one overlapping the other until the timelines meet. You never see the faces of the Germans, which is an interesting directorial choice. It intensifies the feeling of being chased and impending doom. I highly recommend this movie to anyone, another Nolan masterpiece.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:46 am

Whats the gore of this compared to Hacksaw Ridge?
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:41 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Whats the gore of this compared to Hacksaw Ridge?

Light. There really isn't much of a gore factor. A few shots hitting people, maybe like 2 or 3. You see dead bodies in the water, like the scene from the trailer. But honestly, the gore factor is light. If Hacksaw and Saving Private Ryan was a 10 on a gore factor, this is probably around a 5, pushing 6. Nolan focuses on the intesity of the situation, the realism of the severity of their prediciment, not showing blood spatter and pieces of people every where.

There is very little fighting. The action of the movie is around trying to flee to home and suspense is if these men will be rescued.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:43 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post
Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post Opens Friday. Currently at 98%

From Reddit
PSA: A warning about Dunkirk [No Spoilers]
It was VERY loud. Too loud in fact. It might be the loudest movie I've ever seen.
I don't mean like a gun shot here or an explosion there, I mean sustained loud noises for minutes at a time. For large sections of the movie the soundtrack and the effects merge in this cacophony of noise and it becomes difficult to differentiate between any of the sounds. On a number of occasions it actually distracted me from what was taking place on screen.
If you have trouble with prolonged loud noises you might consider waiting to see this until you can control the volume.
This is really unfortunate since I thought the movie was great otherwise. I've been a fan of Nolan's for a while now but man I wish the guy would allow more space in his sound mixes.

Guess i'll take my range headphones

My wife used ear plugs... its very loud.
Blue Jackets

Postby Blue Jackets » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:18 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post This movie is loud, no doubt about it. Earplugs may be needed if you have sensitive ears. This movie is intense. Nolan wants to put you in the moment of the soldiers standing on that beach and you do feel it.

https://youtu.be/LVWTQcZbLgY
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Whats the gore of this compared to Hacksaw Ridge?

i say none.. it was interesting but i thought it would be more action. i also thought it wasn't loud at all pretty normal.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:01 pm

Maybe Sheldon's theater is too weak for the sound, are you're deaf from all the heavy equipment and power tools
Wallinguana

Postby Wallinguana » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:50 am

I saw it in IMAX and it was really loud.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:24 am

I also did not think it was very loud. We went to the IMAX in davenport for this. I was expecting a dome IMAX since i didn't even know that curved screen IMAXes existed. We sat in the back row. Overall i was disappointed in the IMAX experience. Definitely will not be making the drive to go to another one specifically for IMAX. Also the domes are way more immersive. Kathryn was arguing that it would have been better if we were closer/in the middle, which I agree with her to a point. I don't think it would have made it worth the drive, but better sure.

The movie itself was really good. The first 30 minutes or so are pretty slow and a little strange, but after that it is a nailbiter almost the entire time imo. Pretty depressing. My dad and I were talking about what would happen if that many people died in a war in this day and age and people would just go ballistic.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:27 am

From what I understand "IMAX" is the larger curved screen that you saw and the domed one is called "OmniMAX"
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:19 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post I was expecting a dome IMAX since i didn't even know that curved screen IMAXes existed

Same thing happened to me.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2092&p=20872
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:21 am

It will arrive in 34 domestic markets including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Dallas, Atlanta, Toronto and others.
I have a feeling Des Moines won't be included. I would have gone though, I missed it when it was in theaters.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:02 am

I've been waiting to see this one since I missed the theater run. It came out on digital last night so I watched right away.

I liked it, but I think I did myself a huge disservice by not seeing it in a theater. The movie is shot beautifully, probably 75% of it used the full screen of my 60" tv, meaning it was filmed in IMAX. The problem was my weak soundbar (with no sub) didn't make me appreciate the sound at all. It just sounded like a normal movie to me. I read people on line noticed a constant clock tick that would add to the tension, but I didn't pick up on that at all.

I know the movie set up the 3 timelines at the beginning of the movie.
1. The Mole - 1 week
2. Sea - 1 day
3. Air - 1 hour
But I didn't notice them connecting until Cillian Murphy was picked up by the family and then later (actually earlier) we saw him in the rowboat after the ship sank yelling at the 2 guys to get off the boat. The best use of this changing timeline was when Hardy's pilot friend landed on the water and they were waving to each other, later you see it from the sea POV and you realize he wasn't wavy, he was signalling for help.

Worth repeating how gorgeous this movie was. The scene with Hardy just gliding over the beach once he ran out of gas was beautiful.

Overall I really liked the movie, but I didn't love it like a lot of people did. A minor complaint I had is all the young men on the beach looked alike to me. They all had dark hair, wore the same clothes, and usually soaking wet. I couldn't tell who was who.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:45 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Overall I really liked the movie, but I didn't love it like a lot of people did. A minor complaint I had is all the young men on the beach looked alike to me. They all had dark hair, wore the same clothes, and usually soaking wet. I couldn't tell who was who.

For the next war, I'll make sure the generals know that the main characters can have pink hair and face tats :)

The movie was beautiful. Even the opening shots were astonishing. The Hardy scene at the end though was incredible.

Return to “Movies”