Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Brie Larson is Captain Marvel

Discuss your favorite movies
goldenrod

Postby goldenrod » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:57 pm

I thought it was a great movie. Loved Samuel Jackson in the movie. Loved when they showed what happened to his eye. End credit scenes were pretty good also.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:53 am

We went over the weekend and I really liked it. Marvel has been making these movies for 11 years, they know what they are doing and the audience knows what to expect. They changed up the origin story mix a little bit by having Carol discover who she was by the end of the movie vs starting with that.

I can't even begin to understand why people are hating on this. Are there that many sad boys on the internet? Was this the best Marvel film? Of course not, but it will be better than the majority of movies out this year. There were a few younger girls in the movie and its cool they have a super hero now. Is Marvel 10 years late? Yes, but they have it now. I'll admit that the "girl power" scene in the movie of Carol getting up from various obstacles in her life was the most powerful moment in the movie for me.

The only possible issue I might have with this film is if Captain Marvel shows up and defeats Thanos with ease, but I know they won't do that. They do need to be careful with that though since we are so far into the franchise and are just now learning of a hero that seems to be more powerful than everyone...but far. Thor took things to the next level when he absorbed the sun in Infinity War, but Captain Marvel seems to be invincible as well, and this was only 5 minutes of having her full powers. I guess my only other complaint is how she got her power. "Something blew up and now I am a superhero" is always lame.

Ben Mendelsohn as Talos was so good. Talos did such a horrible job of explaining to Carol that they aren't the badguys like she thought. Why not try to explain that in the ship...or explain that before you and your goons try killing her on Earth with no warning. I of course didn't believe he was the good guy until Jude Law made it clear he was the bad guy.

Classy move by Marvel to change up the intro cards to be all of Stan. I think the only cameo where Stan plays himself. I wonder if he filmed this before his passing. I know he filmed a handful of them years ago, but they couldn't have known to plan so many.

De-aged Sam Jackson worked for me. I wasn't put off by it or anything. Can't believe he lost his eye because of a cat scratch.

Continuity error. Fury was already calling the organization Shield. I swear Iron Man had Coulson calling it by the full name and then calling it Shield like they just settled on it.

There was some humor, but not nearly as much as a Thor, Ant-Man, or GotG. More like a Captain America I guess.

I really liked the scene when they were going through her memories and giving color commentary on it. I thought that was a lot of fun and something new.

How does the tesseract go from this cat to Asgard?
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:21 am

So I think I skipped reading anything about how people are mad/sexist toward this movie. What is the issue? People are mad that there is a female superhero getting her own movie? Why didn't WW get this reaction? Or did it and I ignored that too?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:29 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post So I think I skipped reading anything about how people are mad/sexist toward this movie. What is the issue? People are mad that there is a female superhero getting her own movie? Why didn't WW get this reaction? Or did it and I ignored that too?

There is a lot to unpack.
1) neckbeards were mad she didn't smile enough in the first trailer
2) Larson said something during the press junket that she wants more females to interview her, not just white men

It's 2019. I don't understand how being a feminist is a bad thing? "This actress thinks women are equal to men?!?! GET HER!!!"
I'm sure there is more to it. But it seems like incels do not like Larson and thousands of them are against the movie. From what I can tell, none of the drama is about the MCU itself, just the lead in a female movie.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:31 am

That's dumb. People are dumb.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:45 am

This article/blog has some tweets from people who are against the movie and they are just so dumb.
"If it teaches women that they can be anything they want to be, specifically able to take on a 220 pound man in hand to hand combat and not get pummeled into the dirt, then it is a girl power movie and a cancer on our culture"

A) There are very few girl power moments
B) Like I said above, that was my favorite part of the movie
C) Seriously, there are some flashback scenes where a couple people in her past say she can't do something because she's a girl, but it is not the SINGLE thing the movie is about
D) Even if it was, it shouldn't matter!
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:01 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post "If it teaches women that they can be anything they want to be, specifically able to take on a 220 pound man in hand to hand combat and not get pummeled into the dirt, then it is a girl power movie and a cancer on our culture"

As opposed to the male super hero movies that teach men they can be anything they want, specifically able to take on whole armies of bad guys without getting a scratch on them, which is totally realistic and empowering in a good way.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:08 am

From Reddit:
Captain Marvel has a fantastic opening at #1 with $153M domestic and $455M worldwide! T
Domestically that puts it as the highest opening ever for a female superhero film. Okay now frankly the only real competition there was Wonder Woman but beating her opening by $50M is still quite impressive, especially since I would argue WW culturally is more well known than La Capitana Marvela.
It is also the second highest opening ever for a superhero origin story. While it didn't come close to the insane $200M+ opening of current champion Black Panther it is notable that BP had a full intro and storyline in CA: Civil War while Captain Marvel's pre-solo film origins were...a pager. A space pager!
Internationally it's even more impressive, as CM opened to the 6th biggest worldwide opening in history. That actually far out paces Black Panther by $80M and is a higher worldwide opening than the first two Avengers films, Batman v Superman, and The Last Jedi. It is in fact the second biggest superhero opening worldwide under Infinity War. So where did all that sweet Disney capital come from? Well, China of course, which gave up $89M to the sexy super space saiyan...spilot. But the film also had massive pulls in the UK ($16.8M), Brazil ($13.4M), Mexico ($12.8M), and Australia ($10.7M). So of course now the question remains, how long before a Goose spinoff? Oh and will it make $1B?
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:13 am

Return to “Movies”