Discuss your favorite movies
wags83

Stephen King's It remake

Postby wags83 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:47 am

That sounds awful.
CrckrJack

Stephen King's It remake

Postby CrckrJack » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:16 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post At the Alamo Drafthouse’s clown-only screening of Stephen King’s It, you’ll float too

“For this special screening of It, all attendees should arrive dressed as a clown in order to attend. Please arrive early and join us in the Barrel O' Fun beginning at 5:30pm for an It pre-party where we will have face-painters available for clown "touch-ups", a photo booth, raffles for prizes, and other terrifying merriment. Please arrive in your own Pennywise best and be ready to float with us.”

That sounds fun!
Tyler
Owner

Re: Stephen King's It remake

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:32 pm

This played before Logan Lucky. Jocelyn and I had our eyes closed almost the whole time. It looks terrifying.
Blue Jackets

Stephen King's It remake

Postby Blue Jackets » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:37 am

100% with 32 reviews.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Stephen King's It remake

Postby Tyler » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:00 pm

Top comment on Reddit summarizing the critics
The film is apparently half horror, half Stand By Me.

Most of the critics agree that, while the horror portion is good, the kids' acting makes the other half better.

Even though their characters are a bit on the thin side, which several critics cite as the script's only real weakness.

Sophia Lillis, as Bev, shines more than anybody else.

Skarsgård is Curry's complete opposite, but apparently works in a different way (he's not simple scary, but more in your face scary).

The set pieces are a lot of fun
Blue Jackets

Stephen King's It remake

Postby Blue Jackets » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:50 am

'It' grosses $51M on Friday. That is the biggest opening day ever for an R-rated film, it has already passed the biggest September opening weekend record in just one day, and it's only $1.5M away from the biggest horror opening weekend ever (Paranormal Activity 3 - $52.5M)
wags83

Stephen King's It remake

Postby wags83 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:36 am

Saw it yesterday. It wasn't bad but wasn't that spooky. Seemed kinda silly for a lot of it and the jump scares that it attempted were all pretty predictable.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Stephen King's It remake

Postby Tyler » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:53 am

wags83 wrote:Saw it yesterday. It wasn't bad but wasn't that spooky. Seemed kinda silly for a lot of it and the jump scares that it attempted were all pretty predictable.
I watched Wilkins twin girls yesterday so he could see and his 10 second review when he got home was completely opposite of yours. Are you sure you didn't accidentally watch the original?
wags83

Stephen King's It remake

Postby wags83 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:11 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Saw it yesterday. It wasn't bad but wasn't that spooky. Seemed kinda silly for a lot of it and the jump scares that it attempted were all pretty predictable.
I watched Wilkins twin girls yesterday so he could see and his 10 second review when he got home was completely opposite of yours. Are you sure you didn't accidentally watch the original?

Almost positive it was the new one.

Side note, there were a surprising number of kids at this movie. I feel like if I was a young kid, it would definitely have been scary.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Stephen King's It remake

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:24 am

I have to say, I loved this movie a lot.

I thought the initial scene with Georgie, was so creepy and awful that it was hard to watch. The clown who plays pennywise is so phenomenal. He is so creepy.

The tension that builds up, not only from a horror perspective, but the kids individual struggles, i thought was great. The child actors are great, and it was good to see the kid from 'Stranger Things' and the son from 'Bloodlines' come into this. Beverly, especially, was amazing in this show, and you will definitely see her in things in the future, but man, her storyline is pretty fukt. No spoilers.

It was insane to me how little the father of Georgie had any interest in looking for his son. He just accepted it and moved up. I would have been all up in that sewer. Especially if i Knew my kid disappeared while following a toy boat down the drain. I mean...its a logical step.

The camera work in this was great. The creepy subtleties such as having a clown mannequin turn it's head slightly, or having a hand from one creature turn into the hand of the clown, without moving the hand, was great. Pennywise also had some awesome things done with his eyes, such as rolling back or being off-center and then moving to the center. It's hard to describe without watching it.

In the book/old movie, the kids defeat Pennywise by using their imagination to make weapons like battery acid, etc and then Pennywise retreats. The clown feeds on fear, and the kids can draw power from not being afraid and using imagination. I like that the kids in the new movie don't know this, but they still things anyway out of desperation, such as the unloaded bolt. A kid was also awoken using a kiss. If you look further back in the movie, there was a copy of 'The Frog Prince' on the kids desk, which makes him believe it'll work, which is why it did. Very nice subtleties.

I thought this movie was creepy, graphic, and well acting. Cinematography was great, and the use of jump scares was good. They weren't thrown in your face, because they build the tension right. You KNOW the jump scare is coming, but it still scares you.
Last edited by cwilkins88 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
wags83

Stephen King's It remake

Postby wags83 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:34 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I thought the initial scene with Georgia, was so creepy and awful that it was hard to watch. The clown who plays pennywise is so phenomenal. He is so creepy.

This was a really good scene. Really set the tone of how creepy the clown is.

It was an alright movie. I always say I think horror movies are silly yet I always watch them...and then reconfirm that horror movies are silly.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Stephen King's It remake

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:40 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I thought the initial scene with Georgia, was so creepy and awful that it was hard to watch. The clown who plays pennywise is so phenomenal. He is so creepy.

This was a really good scene. Really set the tone of how creepy the clown is.

It was an alright movie. I always say I think horror movies are silly yet I always watch them...and then reconfirm that horror movies are silly.

I watch A LOT of silly horror films, and most of them are also bad. This was just a bit silly, but also very good imo. You have to suspend your disbelief to watch horror, but it's my favorite genre, so when a good one comes out, I get super excited. This year we had Get Out and IT, so pretty good year.
wags83

Stephen King's It remake

Postby wags83 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:49 am

I do agree that it was well done in the ways you explained. I like when kids are good actors because so often they are bad and annoying. I did enjoy all the "your mom" jokes by the kids.

A couple things that bothered me:
The bully kids. Are there/have there ever been bullies like that? I mean I get that there are bullies that make fun of and beat up other kids, but these bullies were straight up trying to murder other kids. He started carving his name into the fat kids belly with a knife and the other bully was going to light his hair on fire! Ridiculous.

The home-schooled slaughterhouse kid. Seemed to have at least a bit of background to him but once he joined the group he had almost no lines and mostly just stood in the background. His only reason for being in the movie was to have a reason for the kids to have access to a bolt gun.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Stephen King's It remake

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:58 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post do agree that it was well done in the ways you explained. I like when kids are good actors because so often they are bad and annoying. I did enjoy all the "your mom" jokes by the kids.

There were sooooo many your mom jokes.

wags83 wrote:Source of the post The home-schooled slaughterhouse kid. Seemed to have at least a bit of background to him but once he joined the group he had almost no lines and mostly just stood in the background. His only reason for being in the movie was to have a reason for the kids to have access to a bolt gun.

Agreed with this. Although, he had the cooliest 'scare reveal' scene. The hands through the fire was off-putting.
Blue Jackets

Stephen King's It remake

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:36 am

Box Office Week: IT opens at #1 with amazing $123.1M, breaking the horror opening weekend record by $64M+, the September opening weekend record by $68M+ and IT had the biggest opening day for an R-rated film with $51.5M. Also Despicable Me 3 passed $1B...oh and Home Again opened at #2 with $9M
Blue Jackets

Stephen King's It remake

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:24 am

The sequel to New Line’s It will be hitting the screen on Sept. 6, 2019. That’s the same post-Labor Day frame that the first chapter launched in, racking up an unprecedented $123.4M domestic opening — the best September has ever seen.

Andy Muschietti directs the second half of Stephen King’s novel which focuses on the Loser’s Club, 27 years later, when they’ve grown up and away. But then a devastating phone call brings them back.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/it-sequel-s ... 202176651/
Tyler
Owner

Stephen King's It remake

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:16 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post second half of Stephen King’s novel which focuses on the Loser’s Club, 27 years later,

Did the IT movie this place take place during 2017? Were there things in the movie that confirmed an era, like smart phones? Curious if they need to go to the future for the next movie
wags83

Stephen King's It remake

Postby wags83 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:37 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post second half of Stephen King’s novel which focuses on the Loser’s Club, 27 years later,

Did the IT movie this place take place during 2017? Were there things in the movie that confirmed an era, like smart phones? Curious if they need to go to the future for the next movie

I don't remember if they ever say exactly what year it was but it seemed to be the late 80's/early 90's.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Stephen King's It remake

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:59 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post

I don't remember if they ever say exactly what year it was but it seemed to be the late 80's/early 90's.

Agreed. There were no cell phones or anything of the like.
Tyler
Owner

Stephen King's It remake

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:04 am

Gotcha, so the sequel could take place in 2019 and it wouldn't feel weird.

Return to “Movies”