Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Infinity War (2018)

Discuss your favorite movies
wags83

Infinity War (2018)

Postby wags83 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:26 pm

Spoilers to follow.......

What I liked about the movie:
Most of it, I really liked it. It was a hugely ambitious movie and obviously the build has been a long time in the making. I thought they did a pretty good job at everyone's story getting the attention it needed.
I enjoyed how right off the bat it jumped into showing how powerful Thanos had become with the Asgard ship being destroyed, Loki being killed, and Thor left for dead. Really showed they meant business.
The comic relief was good. They didn't make it the main focus like in Thor 3 or the GotG movies, but it had enough that it still felt fun.
The surprise appearances were fun. Like I mentioned above, Peter Dinklage as a giant dwarf was pretty cool. I don't think I knew he was in it, but if I did, I had forgotten so it was a nice surprise. Also, Red Skull showing up was pretty cool. When they showed a shadowy guy talking on the Soul Stone planet I thought to myself "Oh nice, that's Hugo Weaving's voice" and I had completely forgotten he had played Red Skull a million years ago.
I liked that a lot of "main" characters died. It's sad to see a lot of them go, and we all know most if not all of them will be back, but I like that it wasn't a traditionally happy ending.
Thanos is a good villain mainly because he's not a purely evil villain. He clearly has compassion and is doing what he thinks is best for the universe. You can somewhat empathize with him and that makes the story better.
Thor is super badass.

Things that I had an issue with:
WEAPONS! They're in Wakanda where they have the most advanced technology in the world, yet Captain America still just uses his fists and some "new" shields. What do those shields even do? He seemed to "cock" them like a gun, but he still just hit people with them like it's an extension of his fists. At least his old shield could be thrown around. And Bucky has a fancy new Wakandan arm that doesn't do anything new at all. He's just using a machine gun the whole time.
Ant Man and Hawkeye not being around because they're on house arrest is the weakest excuse to not include them.
I wanted to see the Hulk burst out of the Hulk-buster Ironman suit. I like what they did with him not coming out, but I thought it would have been cool to see. More of a slight disappointment than something I had a real issue with.
I wanted to see more of Korg and the other Asgardians but they are seemingly all dead. I'm hoping we see more of him and others like Valkyrie, and since we didn't explicitly see them die, I assume they're still alive.

Overall, really cool and entertaining movie. Everyone should and probably will see it. I'll likely be going a 2nd time with Erin.
Tyler
Owner

Infinity War (2018)

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:37 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post WEAPONS! They're in Wakanda where they have the most advanced technology in the world, yet Captain America still just uses his fists and some "new" shields.

That annoyed me too. After the movie I made a comment about how useless hand-to-hand combat was in that scenario. We know Wakanda has fighter spacescraft. There is no reason the monsters should be getting close enough to humans.

Modern military use drones so human soldiers aren't in harms way, the Avengers don't have anything like this?
Wallinguana

Infinity War (2018)

Postby Wallinguana » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:10 pm

Tyler wrote:
wags83 wrote:Source of the post WEAPONS! They're in Wakanda where they have the most advanced technology in the world, yet Captain America still just uses his fists and some "new" shields.
Modern military use drones so human soldiers aren't in harms way, the Avengers don't have anything like this?

Yep. Ultron.
purple_hayes

Infinity War (2018)

Postby purple_hayes » Tue May 01, 2018 6:00 am

SPOILERS!! SPOILERS!! SPOILERS!!

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Things I liked:
- The ending, I have some serious problems with it (discussed below), but that was brutal. Parker's last scene with Iron Man was especially rough.
- Peter Dinklage as a giant dwarf
- Captain America appearing behind that scene. So badbass
- Fights/battles. These movies do a good job of giving everyone something to do, even though their powers arent even close to being equal
- Hulk not wanting to come out because he's scared after Thanos beat him
- Rocket telling Thor early in the movie "I have a lot to lose", literally loses everyone important to him
- Scarlet Witch also getting the short of the stick. Kills her lover just to see him saved and then killed more brutally by Thanos...and then she turns to dust.
- Good comedy balance. The fight between Iron Man/Spiderman/Strange vs Drax/Mantins/Starlord was hilarious, mostly thanks to Drax. *Gun pointed to head* "Go on Peter, I can take it" and "Even better, why is Gamora?"
- One more joke. Rocket to Thor. "You Speak Groot?" Thor: It was an elective on Asgard
- Thanos. Pretty sweet villain and worth the decade of buildup
- Red Skull showing up. I don't remember how he died in his movie, but was cool he made an appearance
- Thor entering the fight at Wakanda. Thor is so much more powerful than everyone.

I loved the humor, Capt America showing up to save Scarlet Witch and Vision behind a train was such a bad ass sequence.
Red Skull dies at the end of Capt America the First Avenger when the Tesseract starts to over heat and he's sucked into space.
Did you get the feeling that the Wakandians = the Gungans?

Meh:
- As mentioned, Starlord single-handedly killed half the universe by not sticking to the plan. Even more annoying though, is Dr. Strange not rewinding time so Starlord didn't do it again. We have seen Dr. Strange put a giant space monster in a time loop for hundreds of years, but he couldn't remind 30 seconds? I have 2 theories about this.
1) Thanos holding the other 4 gems blocked that power, which they could have explained in 4 seconds
2) When Dr. Strange said there is only 1 outcome out of 14 million that they succeed, he had to give up the time stone and let Thanos win because that is what he saw in the future.
- Girls fighting girls. Marvel: Girls are strong and can be super heroes too! Also Marvel: Girls are only allowed to have fighting sequences where they fight other girls
- The founding members of the Avengers all happen to be alive

The only thing I can think of is before Thanos disappears, by saving Tony, Dr Strange says... this was the only way... or something like that. I have to believe he is saying that this is the only way we win. That Starlord finding out that Thanos killed Gamora and doing what Starlord does best... was all part of what has to happen in order to win. Starlord's actions weren't out of character. Finding out what Ego did to his Mom he immediately snaps... Dr Strange could have stopped him, but doesn't. Seems to be all part of the plan.
I thougth Capt went to dust... but you right, the MCU founding memebers are alive.

Questions:
-When did Thanos get the power gem from Nova Corp? GotG left it with them at the end of their first movie I think
-Does Gamora explain in more detail about the Soul stone other than "I found a map"?
-where was valkrie, rock guy and scissors?

Okay... Thanos grabs the Infinity Guantlet at the end of Avengers: Age of Ultron. Its been 3 years at least since those events. My guess is during that time, he destroyed the Nova Corp... if so, where is Nova Prime?

Only thing she says about the Soul stone is that its on that planet Voldmir or whatever... in the Nebula memory, Gamora states she found the map and burned it.

Well, when we last left them... Valkrie, Rock Guy, and Scissors were on the ship with Thor... where everyone died.

Meta MCU Spoilers - Don't read if you don't follow Marvel movie productions
► Show Spoiler

This is my biggest issue with this movie. Where it was visually stunning, action packed, funny, touching... but what was the true cost? A major gripe about the MCU is that they never kill off anyone of consequence. You bring in two new characters to A2, so you can kill off one of them, where it would have been more meaningful to kill off Hawkeye. In the comics, the original Civil War storyline leads to Captain America's death but not in the movie, they just act like children and stop talking to each other. Rhoadie falls from the sky but is only crippled? So now, you get bold, take out most of the MCU but to what point. As you state Tyler, you have movies coming. We get Guardians of the Galaxy vol 3 with only Rocket? Dr Strange will be about the one guy left who is guarding that house? Black Panther was the highest grossing movie in the MCU, there is no way its not getting a sequel. I guess you could call it, Black Panther: The Women of Wakanda. Spiderman sequel without Peter Parker? I guess it will be his buddy and MJ fighting crime? Once you undo everything, reset it so no one dies by going to dust.... why did you make this movie? There are no true consequences.

Another issue I had was Thanos motivation for doing this... He's a enviormentalist? In the comic, his motivation is love. He's so powerful that he believes the only equal for a love partner is Death. He wipes out half the universe to gain Death's attention. I suppose I can buy into the whole eco friendly Thanos. Gonna gather up this band of terrifying bad dudes so we can save the planet... not by recycling... but by killing half the population in the universe. I guess I can buy it. Should change the title to... Thanos: Eco Warrier.

Through out the past 10 years and 18 other movies... they have stated there is something building... a reason for all of the Infinity stones to show up. I suppose it could be fate that Thanos helps everyone go 'green'
Tyler
Owner

Re: Infinity War (2018)

Postby Tyler » Tue May 01, 2018 7:14 am

Great points Hayes. The exact line Dr Strange says is "we're in the end game now" (or something like that). I think we are right and this is exactly what had to happen in order to fix everything in the next movie.

My boss had an interesting theory, but I'm not sure how it would work. He thinks everyone that turned to dust actually lived. Aside from rocket, everyone that evaporated has future movies on deck. It's a neat idea, but I don't think that could work out.

Something I read online and there is no proof, Peter reacted the saddest to vanishing, not because he's a kid, but because his Spidey senses are telling him what exactly is happening
purple_hayes

Infinity War (2018)

Postby purple_hayes » Tue May 01, 2018 7:24 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Great points Hayes. The exact line Dr Strange says is "we're in the end game now" (or something like that). I think we are right and this is exactly what had to happen in order to fix everything in the next movie.

My boss had an interesting theory, but I'm not sure how it would work. He thinks everyone that turned to dust actually lived. Aside from rocket, everyone that evaporated has future movies on deck. It's a neat idea, but I don't think that could work out.

Something I read online and there is no proof, Peter reacted the saddest to vanishing, not because he's a kid, but because his Spidey senses are telling him what exactly is happening

Well, we have a full year... we could read the full Infinity Guantlet storyline in the comics.
wags83

Infinity War (2018)

Postby wags83 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:07 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post Did you get the feeling that the Wakandians = the Gungans?

This is a really good comparison.

I actually came here to talk about the Wakandans. Why are they the only ones that have to deal with this? This is a world-threatening event. At the very least, the US government knows about it since they were talking to Rhoadie and saw Cap. and the others come back. Yet, they just leave it for the Avengers and a small African nation (albeit one with very advanced technology) to deal with.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue May 01, 2018 9:20 am

The rest of the world didn't have time to react? The baddies came to Wakanda because Vision was there. The military couldn't have gotten there in time.

I'm just making excuses. I have the same problem as you.
Watson2000

Infinity War (2018)

Postby Watson2000 » Tue May 01, 2018 12:49 pm

*Spoilers*

I've seen the movie two times (enjoyed it), so I'll see if I can answer some questions.

Power Stone. Thanos, on the ship at the beginning, states that he took the Power stone from Xander (and implies that he killed half the population, so fingers crossed that John C Riley and his family are still alive). It was glossed over in like two lines. They showed him collecting five of the stones, not sure why they didn't add another 10 minutes and showed him getting that one. Even just a 30 second flash back maybe to remind people what and who the Xander is/are...

Valkyrie and Korg. One of the brothers actually came to Iowa City in the last week, and he stated that Valkyrie is alive and with the other half of the Asgardians, he was kind of so so about Korg. http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/05/01/avengers-infinity-war-valkyrie-asgardian-fate/

Girl fights. I guess I didn't have a problem really with the four ladies having their own fight. Two of them are only human, so really they should be over matched against a "super being" like Proxima Midnight. Scarlet Witch barely held her own. So if they team up to take her down, I'm OK with that. Was surprised that Black Widow "defeated" her earlier in the movie, but maybe she fled with hubby cause he was down?

Time Stone. Was a little odd that he couldn't rewind time a bit and not have Star Lord go all Ike Turner on Tina's Thanos' ass. But Thanos has to get all the stones for the movie to move along.

Wakanda fight. I'll give you that the weapons were a little blah. Heck, his sister got to shot some beam gun when she got interrupted removing the stone. If they would of given twenty troops those, it might of made a difference. And where are their flying machines. Air superiority would of won the day (or at least a lot of lives in the fight, before the Snap). But the silliest thing for me was, why wouldn't you position your troops by the shield then open it up a little bit and have them come into the meat grinder. Instead, they open it up and then run down the hill for some hand to hand combat. Shoot your damn spear-guns! I don't know why movies (unless they're a war reenactment) can't use strategy for their combat. Star Wars prequels have the clone troops running head long into the battle droids and Avatar has the blue people riding horses into machine gun fire. Is it better cinematic footage? It's a legit question, I don't get it.

The snap. It was alright, but no suspense... So the next movie must deal with the old gang (who everyone is unsure of for future films) trying to save the new gang (who we all know have films). Kind of a shrug on that one. Hopefully they explain what happened to the gauntlet. Maybe too much power burned through it and has to have another one made?

Here's another article from Iowa City and how Tom's final scene was improvised...which is nice as it was the most heart felt, what with Stark seeing his vision come true... http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/05/01/avengers-infinity-war-tom-holland-improvisation-joe-russo/

Over all though, a fun movie to watch.

Rambling power, deactivated.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue May 01, 2018 1:31 pm

I had no idea that Holland improvised that. That was the most impactful moment of the entire movie. Kid has some chops.

Why was Russo in Iowa? Did you see him?
Watson2000

Infinity War (2018)

Postby Watson2000 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:42 pm

Tyler wrote:I had no idea that Holland improvised that. That was the most impactful moment of the entire movie. Kid has some chops.

Why was Russo in Iowa? Did you see him?

Went to school there for English. I believe that’s what I read in the article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Infinity War (2018)

Postby Tyler » Tue May 01, 2018 4:39 pm

Watson2000

Infinity War (2018)

Postby Watson2000 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:54 pm

Tyler wrote:Ruffalo spoiled the ending last year and no one realized it
http://screencrush.com/mark-ruffalo-spo ... r-in-2017/

Yikes...wonder if he got in trouble...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri May 11, 2018 7:35 am

.Image
bmyoungs

Infinity War (2018)

Postby bmyoungs » Sat May 12, 2018 9:30 pm

Finally saw it. Don't really care that they will all come back, I was hoping right from the start that Thanos would be successful. I don't care that people come back to life I care how they do and right now I can't think of a logical out that doesn't ruin everything. Using the time Stone would be terrible since they could have done that in the earlier battle.

Had the same thought on weapons in wakanda

Marvel is the film version of a sitcom, we come back next movie and everything is back to business as usual.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun May 13, 2018 9:21 pm

.Image
CrckrJack

Infinity War (2018)

Postby CrckrJack » Mon May 21, 2018 9:48 am

Do we all hate Peter Quill now? He is the sole reason that they didn't get the glove off of Thanos.
CrckrJack

Infinity War (2018)

Postby CrckrJack » Mon May 21, 2018 9:51 am

The husband/wife villains were so awesome!! I loved the dude, he looked so cool
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Infinity War (2018)

Postby Tyler » Mon May 21, 2018 10:36 am

CrckrJack wrote:Do we all hate Peter Quill now? He is the sole reason that they didn't get the glove off of Thanos.
Yes we do, but I'm sure it was all apart of Dr Strange's plan.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Infinity War (2018)

Postby DannyFanny » Mon May 21, 2018 3:56 pm

Finally had a chance to see this past weekend.

Obviously Dr. Strange knows something we don't, but the movie ending about how I expected it to. Maybe a bit less gruesome. I can expect the remaining troops to rally up with the help of the post-credit hero, retrieve the Gaudy Gauntlet and undo what has been done in a follow up movie.

I like the idea that Thanos created an alternate reality, and that is where the heroes "dissolved" to.

Return to “Movies”