I will have 3 parts in this post. Non-spoilers. Movie spoilers. Meta MCU spoilersNon-Spoilers
This movie was ambitious and it mostly succeed. The cast is huge and it does a pretty good job of handling them all. The whole thing reminded me of Game of Thrones with the multiple story threads taking place all over the universe. I don't think this breaks the top 5 Marvel movie list for me, but I appreciate it for getting the entire cast together and for staging some great battles. This movie was 2.5+ hours long and didn't feel that at all. Everyone will see it and everyone will generally enjoy it.Spoilers
Things I liked:
- The ending, I have some serious problems with it (discussed below), but that was brutal. Parker's last scene with Iron Man was especially rough.
- Peter Dinklage as a giant dwarf
- Captain America appearing behind that scene. So badbass
- Fights/battles. These movies do a good job of giving everyone something to do, even though their powers arent even close to being equal
- Hulk not wanting to come out because he's scared after Thanos beat him
- Rocket telling Thor early in the movie "I have a lot to lose", literally loses everyone important to him
- Scarlet Witch also getting the short of the stick. Kills her lover just to see him saved and then killed more brutally by Thanos...and then she turns to dust.
- Good comedy balance. The fight between Iron Man/Spiderman/Strange vs Drax/Mantins/Starlord was hilarious, mostly thanks to Drax. *Gun pointed to head* "Go on Peter, I can take it" and "Even better, why is Gamora?"
- One more joke. Rocket to Thor. "You Speak Groot?" Thor: It was an elective on Asgard
- Thanos. Pretty sweet villain and worth the decade of buildup
- Red Skull showing up. I don't remember how he died in his movie, but was cool he made an appearance
- Thor entering the fight at Wakanda. Thor is so much more powerful than everyone.
- As mentioned, Starlord single-handedly killed half the universe by not sticking to the plan. Even more annoying though, is Dr. Strange not rewinding time so Starlord didn't do it again. We have seen Dr. Strange put a giant space monster in a time loop for hundreds of years, but he couldn't remind 30 seconds? I have 2 theories about this.
1) Thanos holding the other 4 gems blocked that power, which they could have explained in 4 seconds
2) When Dr. Strange said there is only 1 outcome out of 14 million that they succeed, he had to give up the time stone and let Thanos win because that is what he saw in the future.
- Girls fighting girls. Marvel: Girls are strong and can be super heroes too! Also Marvel: Girls are only allowed to have fighting sequences where they fight other girls
- The founding members of the Avengers all happen to be alive
-When did Thanos get the power gem from Nova Corp? GotG left it with them at the end of their first movie I think
-Does Gamora explain in more detail about the Soul stone other than "I found a map"?
-where was valkrie, rock guy and scissors?Meta MCU Spoilers
- Don't read if you don't follow Marvel movie productions