Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Get Out - Horror by Jordan Peele

Discuss your favorite movies
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Get Out - Horror by Jordan Peele

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:48 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:Key may be in more stuff, but this is pretty crazy for a first solo project http://www.thewrap.com/jordan-peele-jus ... vie-debut/

Good for him.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:24 am

They must not be following a typical calendar year. I'm sure this movie is amazing, but awarding someone director of the year and it's not even April?
Blue Jackets

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:29 am

Box Office: 'Get Out' Is The Top Domestic Hit Ever From A Black Director (For The Next Two Weeks)

Here I was, patiently waiting for Jordan Peele's Get Out to top the $165 million domestic gross of Hannibal so I could throw out all my numbers regarding the top R-rated horror films (with and without inflation), but then the Blumhouse and Universal/Comcast Corp. film had to pass another milestone yesterday. With $162.8 million in North America, the film has passed the $161.1m domestic total of F. Gary Gray's Straight Outta Compton to become the biggest domestic earner ever for a film helmed by a black filmmaker.

For those wondering, and this isn't adjusted for inflation, the biggest North American grossers from black filmmakers are (unless I missed one) Get Out ($162 million-and-counting), Straight Outta Compton ($161m), Scary Movie ($157m), Fantastic Four ($154m), Ride Along ($134m), Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer ($131m), 2 Fast 2 Furious ($127m), The Italian Job ($106m), Rise of the Guardians ($103m) and The Equalizer ($101m).

But the whole "biggest domestic grosser by a black filmmaker" thing? Yeah, F. Gary Gray is going to steal his crown right back with Fate of the Furious.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:26 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post But the whole "biggest domestic grosser by a black filmmaker" thing? Yeah, F. Gary Gray is going to steal his crown right back with Fate of the Furious.

I forgot James Wan didn't return for F8. F8 will blow Peele out of the water though.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue May 23, 2017 7:21 am

SPOILERS! Don't read any of this if you haven't seen the movie. Go in as fresh as you can!

This comes out on DVD/Bluray today and was available on streaming starting May 9th. I watched it last night and thought it was excellent. First off, Jordan Peele deserves all the praise and credit he's received. This was his FIRST movie script and his FIRST time directing anything, that man is a genius.

This movie did such a great job of making you question what was happening in the moment, but made perfect sense once you looked back on it.
-Rose wasn't defending Chris when the cop asked for his ID. She didn't want to leave a paper trail with the cop
-Rose's grandpa "almost got over it" when he lost to Jesse Owens, but didn't, and put himself in a black man's body so he could feel just as fast as him
-"We hired Georgina and Walter to care for my parents, and when they died I couldn't bear to let them go"
-The maid and groundskeepers were hugging and happy to see everyone at the party. Of course they were, they are the grandparents welcoming their rich crazy white friends
-All of the conversations at the party seemed so awkward, but really they were scouting Chris out. Can he golf? Was he good at s3x? Etc.
-Rose's brother mocks Chris about fighting at the beginning of the movie, but Chris was smart enough to know if he could pretend to open the door then he could stab his leg.
-Chris is still haunted by the thought of his mother bleeding out on a road alone and cold and chooses to leave Rose to die the same way
-Basement was closed because of "black mold". Black people were being used as molds
-Chris picking cotton (from the chair) saved him

Question:
Rose's grandparents are in the body of the maid and groundskeeper. Do they always talk so oddly, or was that them trying to act the role so Chris didn't suspect anything? When Chris isn't around are they just 2 members of the family and talk how grandma/grandpa use to talk in their own bodies?

Chris acted like a real human during the whole thing. In almost all horror movies the leads act like idiots and it breaks the connection to the audience. Chris acted like a normal person. "Your family is crazy, we need to leave". That is the logical thing to do. His friend Rod was great as the reaction character.

Scariest part of the movie? Everyone using Microsoft products, including Bing.

If you liked the lead you should watch his episode of Black Mirror in season 1. He is actually very very British.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue May 23, 2017 8:08 am

Tyler wrote:Question:
Rose's grandparents are in the body of the maid and groundskeeper. Do they always talk so oddly, or was that them trying to act the role so Chris didn't suspect anything? When Chris isn't around are they just 2 members of the family and talk how grandma/grandpa use to talk in their own bodies?

I want to believe that they would act like the help when no one was around because they have to keep up the act just in case anyone dropped by who was out of the loop. One would think that the grandparents never slept either as if they did, they might lose the control of the body, like they did with the flash of a camera.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue May 23, 2017 8:12 am

Tyler wrote:Chris acted like a real human during the whole thing. In almost all horror movies the leads act like idiots and it breaks the connection to the audience. Chris acted like a normal person. "Your family is crazy, we need to leave". That is the logical thing to do. His friend Rod was great as the reaction character.

This was one of the most refreshing things about the movie. The main character reacted to the situation like a logical human being. How frustrating is it to see a deep, well-thought out character in a horror movie that runs back into the house to hide instead of just running or driving away. Its frustrating to see. This movie is well done.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:13 am

It was very nice to see a smart character. Most horror movies don't work unless the characters involved are stupid. This was a nice take on everything.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue May 23, 2017 8:24 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post I want to believe that they would act like the help when no one was around because they have to keep up the act just in case anyone dropped by who was out of the loop. One would think that the grandparents never slept either as if they did, they might lose the control of the body, like they did with the flash of a camera.

I'm going to disagree. What would be the point of putting your consciousness into a new body if you have to be a full time servant. They made a point to say the house was very isolated. I assume when no one is around the two of them are not full time help, but I want to know if they are still so strange? If grandma/grandpa have full control of themselves, it is odd how they acted around Chris. I would assume they would have tried to act like Chris and fall into racial stereotypes.

I didn't see any evidence of them not sleeping either.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue May 23, 2017 8:24 am

At what point did you guys realize Rose was in on it? I didn't until it was spelled out with the pictures of her and the other boyfriends.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:34 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post At what point did you guys realize Rose was in on it? I didn't until it was spelled out with the pictures of her and the other boyfriends.

I thought she might be in on it when she stopped listening to some of what Chris was saying regarding how weird people were and her mom, etc. It was only a hunch though, I wasn't certain until I saw the pictures, obviously.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue May 23, 2017 8:37 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post I want to believe that they would act like the help when no one was around because they have to keep up the act just in case anyone dropped by who was out of the loop. One would think that the grandparents never slept either as if they did, they might lose the control of the body, like they did with the flash of a camera.

I'm going to disagree. What would be the point of putting your consciousness into a new body if you have to be a full time servant. They made a point to say the house was very isolated. I assume when no one is around the two of them are not full time help, but I want to know if they are still so strange? If grandma/grandpa have full control of themselves, it is odd how they acted around Chris. I would assume they would have tried to act like Chris and fall into racial stereotypes.

Maybe you should call your friend Jordan Peele to ask him what his intentions were with the grandparents. So, you think that they just pal around with everyone when no one is looking? Its hard to switch roles like that. What if a lost stranger came to the door and they all hanging out or what not? It would be a hard charade to change back and forth on. But who knows.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue May 23, 2017 8:42 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post At what point did you guys realize Rose was in on it? I didn't until it was spelled out with the pictures of her and the other boyfriends.

I began to suspect her after Chris was hyponotized and then she mentioned that her Mom hypnotized her. I thought that Mom was a ring leader, hypnotizing to get people to do what she wants. Making Rose an unwilling partner in her grand scheme. Like Wilkins, I didn't realize to what depth she was in until the pictures were discovered by Chris.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:56 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post

Maybe you should call your friend Jordan Peele to ask him what his intentions were with the grandparents. So, you think that they just pal around with everyone when no one is looking? Its hard to switch roles like that. What if a lost stranger came to the door and they all hanging out or what not? It would be a hard charade to change back and forth on. But who knows.

I'm with Glass on this. There wouldn't be a point to putting your consciousness into a new body if you couldn't actually be yourself.

One thing that I thought was interesting is how the grandma servant seemed to have some of the actual black lady's consciousness still around and it wasn't provoked by a flash or anything. When she's talking to Chris, she seemed to want to tell him the truth and had tears from not being able to tell him what was going on. I didn't seem like that was the case with any of the other commandeered bodies unless the camera flash was in their eyes.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue May 23, 2017 9:07 am

wags83 wrote:I'm with Glass on this. There wouldn't be a point to putting your consciousness into a new body if you couldn't actually be yourself.

One thing that I thought was interesting is how the grandma servant seemed to have some of the actual black lady's consciousness still around and it wasn't provoked by a flash or anything. When she's talking to Chris, she seemed to want to tell him the truth and had tears from not being able to tell him what was going on. I didn't seem like that was the case with any of the other commandeered bodies unless the camera flash was in their eyes.

I guess my thought on the grandparents is slightly different. I can understand that you wouldn't want to be housekeeping ALL the time. But unless all of the family friends are in on this... they wouldn't want to get caught mix it up with the family. They would have to keep up the ruse of being the help, just in case someone dropped by unexpectedly. How would you explain to people the reason the guy who used to take care of the grounds is sitting in your living room as though he is one of the family?

My thought on the grandma was that they were the first ones to do this... that maybe Grandma wasn't perfected yet. She was successful but they are able to get better each time. Which would be why grandma almost slipped during a stressful situation while the other guys popped with the flash went off.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue May 23, 2017 9:16 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post One thing that I thought was interesting is how the grandma servant seemed to have some of the actual black lady's consciousness still around and it wasn't provoked by a flash or anything. When she's talking to Chris, she seemed to want to tell him the truth and had tears from not being able to tell him what was going on

That was so spooky! Seeing her smile as a tear ran down her face.

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post But unless all of the family friends are in on this... they wouldn't want to get caught mix it up with the family. They would have to keep up the ruse of being the help, just in case someone dropped by unexpectedly. How would you explain to people the reason the guy who used to take care of the grounds is sitting in your living room as though he is one of the family?

Exactly how Rose's dad attempted to explain them being there. We hired these two to help around the house when Rose's grandparents weren't able to look after the huge place by themselves. That was 20+ years ago and now we consider them members of the family. They really are like adopted grandparents to the kids.
Blue Jackets

Postby Blue Jackets » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:33 pm

Get out - Deleted Scenes with Director Jordan Peele Commentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejn0YrTht80
ejhartman91

Get Out (2017)

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:27 pm

Wife and I watched this over the weekend. I enjoyed it. I found the main character's friend that works for the TSA hillarious. I laughed my ass off at the end of the movie because of what he says.

Return to “Movies”