Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Wall - Amazon Studios - Aaron Taylor Johnson and John Cena

Discuss your favorite movies
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:17 pm

This is like a new twist on Wilkin's one room movie.

A deadly psychological thriller that follows two soldiers pinned down by an Iraqi sniper, with nothing but a crumbling wall between them. Their fight becomes as much a battle of will and wits as it is of lethally accurate marksmanship. Directed by Doug Liman, “The Wall” stars Aaron Taylor Johnson and WWE star John Cena, and is written by first-time screenwriter Dwain Worrell from his Black List script. “The Wall" is produced by Amazon Studios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZbjGKtR8QQ
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:58 pm

Looks intense. Is John Cena the next greatest actor of this or any generation?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:12 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Looks intense. Is John Cena the next greatest actor of this or any generation?

I don't think he stands a chance taking this title from The Rock. Cena's only certified fresh movie is Trainwreck, but his small role in that was great.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:14 pm

When I first watched this trailer I thought it said Jonathon Taylor Thomas instead of Aaron Taylor Johnson. It got my heart racing and I can't explain why.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:54 pm

Watched this on Friday I think. It is basically Phone Booth.

Phone Booth was way better.

John Cena's acting in this was really really good.
► Show Spoiler
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:18 am

The movie was fine but could be skipped by most. Unsurprisingly the movie is really slow since it primarily features 1 actor talking through a radio. I thought the movie was best when the pinned down solider was MacGuyver-ing things and doing his napkin math to pin down the location of the sniper.

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post John Cena's acting in this was really really good.

Of the two actors, I thought Aaron Taylor Johnson's performance ran laps around Cena, but it does help ATJ has a lot more to do in the movie.

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW

3 biggest complaints with the movie:
1) The sniper is impossibly good. He is able to shoot the antenna off a radio at 1500 yards while the guy holding it was running. He also purposely missed him and only shot his water bottle. Wut. No.
2) That is not how military radios work. Tons of posts online picking all of that apart
3) Such a stupid ending. Don't assume he is dead. Tell the helicopter people right away that he is likely still in there

Original ending would have been much better:
The ghost approaches the wall, rifle still in his hand. Thirty six dog tags hang from his neck and jingle as he steps forward. The ghost peers out to the body of his comrade hanging from the tree. He gestures to the body and: GHOST (says a short prayer in arabic)
The ghost peers down at the body below him and pulls the dog tag from around his neck.
He strolls off into the distance, the setting sun and places the bloody dog tag over his own neck.
GHOST (CONT’D) (A short prayer in arabic ending with the name he reads from the dog tag): Brandon Hobbs.
The headless body lying in the rubble begins to move -- -- From underneath Locke emerges -- pistol in hand -- taking aim as the ghost saunters off, some twenty feet away.
 The ghost stops, almost knowingly but doesn’t turn around. FADE TO BLACK.
SUPERIMPOSE: Juba (ghost) the pseudonym of the sniper involved in the Iraqi insurgency. He has claimed to have killed at least 37 American soldiers. Juba mysteriously disappeared in 2009, never being caught. Dead or alive...
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:51 am

I liked this movie except for the end and for the reasons stated. Also, the exaggeration of John Cena was dumb. He was in the movie for 3 min.
Tyler
Owner

Re: The Wall - Amazon Studios - Aaron Taylor Johnson and John Cena

Postby Tyler » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:59 am

Detail I liked and forgot to mention...
Whenever someone was shot there was time for them to react to it before the sound of the gunshot caught up to them. Really sold the effect of the sniper being so far away.

Return to “Movies”