Discuss your favorite movies
purple_hayes

War for the Planet of the Apes

Postby purple_hayes » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:09 am

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:56 am

Going to be awesome! I have really liked the other 2. The CGI for these movies is so impressive.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue May 16, 2017 10:26 am

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:33 am

Studio must have a lot of faith in this. They lifted the embargo for reviews already. At 95%

Jocelyn probably has no interest in seeing this one. Wilkins or Tylersucks, want to go?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:23 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Studio must have a lot of faith in this. They lifted the embargo for reviews already. At 95%

Jocelyn probably has no interest in seeing this one. Wilkins or Tylersucks, want to go?

Eventually, maybe.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:28 am

Is this series worth watching? Kathryn keeps trying to get me to watch them all but they just look sooooo bad.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:32 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Is this series worth watching? Kathryn keeps trying to get me to watch them all but they just look sooooo bad.

Eh. They are alright.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: War for the Planet of the Apes

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:08 am

CrckrJack wrote:Is this series worth watching? Kathryn keeps trying to get me to watch them all but they just look sooooo bad.

I think they are excellent. I've really enjoyed the first 2.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:09 am

I've enjoyed them both. First one was better than the second in my opinion.
Blue Jackets

Postby Blue Jackets » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:26 am

From Reddit:

PSA: Do not watch the final trailer for "War for the Planet of the Apes"
It spoils a major plot point that may impact your viewing experience. It's not shocking that they would spoil it so close to opening day but it is ill-advised. Perhaps the audience response to previous trailers suggested that the advertising was too oblique, but this is above and beyond what's called for. Once again, avoid the trailer.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:32 am

War for the Planet of the Apes: Before and after VFX
Capturing the facial expressions is the most impressive part.
Blue Jackets

Postby Blue Jackets » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:33 am

Out this weekend. Certified Fresh at 93%
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:53 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post Out this weekend. Certified Fresh at 93%

I will try seeing this next Friday after work at 10:30am. Pulling a Pottebaum. I can't go today because Wilkins has it for Fantasy Movie League and I don't want to give him my $8
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:07 am

I know this video is Andy Serkis doing Trump tweet as Gollum but there is a piece where he talks about the motion capture that he does and had a great clip of how much of Casear is him, worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64mWOoj68qo&list=PLiZxWe0ejyv9sJVDQVB2savQXKYLaXsWv&index=5
Last edited by purple_hayes on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:18 am

Serkis seems like a cool dude. I'm excited to see more of him in Black Panther as a human.

Amazing how quickly he can go into Smeagol/Gollumn
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:00 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Amazing how quickly he can go into Smeagol/Gollumn

But it is how I imagine Trump's voice while he tweets on the toilet.
Blue Jackets

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:21 am

It's been a very odd time for blockbusters right now, as while highly reviewed films like Get Out and Wonder Woman overperform, well reviewed films in other franchise like War for the Planet of the Apes weirdly don't as the latest in the rebooted Apes franchise opened well below the $72.6M opening of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and only slightly above the $54.8M opening for Rise of the Planet of the Apes, opening at #1 with $56.5M. So what exactly happened here, why did a franchise that continues to get better and better reviews manage to underperform this much? For one it could just be audience fatigue. This summer has seen a lot of franchise, most of them underperforming to some degree or another. The only franchise fair that has overperformed expectations has been Wonder Woman which, while the fourth film in an extended universe, was the first in film solo film ever for the WW character. The other issue may just be the content of the films themselves. While certainly these are films about apes on horses shooting guns, they still tackle very heavy subject matter including themes of war, genocide, racism, human atrocities to nature, and other such non summer fair. Frankly I'm kind of surprised Dawn made as much money as it did, especially since the climatic battle of that film isn't even one you are supposed to be rooting for. War has an even tougher hill to climb, as it has already faced some blowback for not being about a war per se, more of a prison encampment film. Not to mention this is the first film trilogy where the main character in all three films is a CGI creature, a damn well designed one but it's fascinating in an age of dwindling A-list power that Cesar has become the literal poster child for the franchise. It could also be that the weather was really nice this weekend and a lot of people, tired of going to the movie every weekend this summer, decided to just go outside instead as the entire weekend was down. Whatever the case, while extremely disappointing for Fox this isn't dire. War carries a budget $20M less than Dawn and with Matt Reeves leaving the franchise and War have a good mix of finality and future movie set-up to it there's a good time to revaluate what to do with the franchise. I certainly think this result will push them to make a more straight Planet of the Apes remake in this universe. At the very least the film should hold well with an A- rating on Cinemascore, but unfortunately it's underperforming across the world as well so it just is going to be a repeat of Star Trek Beyond where a good reviewed third film pails in comparison to the second.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:56 am

I don't understand why this movie under performed. Each movie has been fantastic. Advertising may have come into play, weather may have a part, or much like Star Trek Beyond... was released at the wrong time. This movie may have fit better in Spring or Fall, as Summer seems to be getting congested with nothing but crap. if a movie like Logan, which is very heady, dark, and somber were to have been released in Summer, it may not have done as well. Dark movies seem to do better in other seasons than Summer.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:27 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post was released at the wrong time

I like the idea of spreading summer blockbusters throughout the year.

I hope the movie does well, because like you, I think this rebooted franchise is really good.

Return to “Movies”