Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Girl With All the Gifts

Discuss your favorite movies
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:05 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post At first I thought releasing the spores would turn all current humans into the hybrid and that made sense. If the whole world was like that it would work out okay, but the spores turned humans into full on zombies. Wouldn't a cure have been better?

The "smart" zombies were only the 2nd generation. So to inhale the spore would make you a first gen zombie, but if you were pregnant when you inhaled the spore than your baby would eat its way out and then be smart, probably.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:34 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post The "smart" zombies were only the 2nd generation. So to inhale the spore would make you a first gen zombie, but if you were pregnant when you inhaled the spore than your baby would eat its way out and then be smart, probably.

Good point. That makes enough sense. I did really like the idea of zombies "dying" and the fungus growing out of their head. That was an original twist on things.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:03 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post The "smart" zombies were only the 2nd generation. So to inhale the spore would make you a first gen zombie, but if you were pregnant when you inhaled the spore than your baby would eat its way out and then be smart, probably.

Good point. That makes enough sense. I did really like the idea of zombies "dying" and the fungus growing out of their head. That was an original twist on things.

That was neat...and gross.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:54 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post The ones being taught had a much higher capacity to learn. They were discussing very advanced topics, mainly regarding logic.

It seemed to me that the lead girl was the only one doing the logic puzzles, not the entire class. This doesn't really matter to the story, I just don't think the virus made the kids smarter. I think the wheelchair kids were forced to receive a higher education compared to most and they seemed smarter...like the London kids who were savages.

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post The girl in the end, realized that the zombie kids could also be smart and wasn't willing to sacrifice her whole species to save a different species that tried to kill her and torture her multiple times.

Maybe I was confused about the "cure" Glenn Close was going after. Was it to revert the hybrids back into humans, turn the full zombies back to humans, or prevent zombie bites from infecting humans?
At first I thought releasing the spores would turn all current humans into the hybrid and that made sense. If the whole world was like that it would work out okay, but the spores turned humans into full on zombies. Wouldn't a cure have been better?

Separately, do the zombies not go after the hybrids? At times it seemed like the girl was threatened, but other times she wasn't.

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Except her teacher who is doomed to live a nightmarish existence until the sweet release of death.

Good thing she loves to teach

Just watched this last night, with my wife who has read the book, and the book sheds a bit of plot points you miss as the idea from the director was to keep the viewer in the dark, like other humans. The spores from the fungus are from an alien race, I guess were trying to help advance the human race.

The Hybrids were born with superior intelligence and hightened reflects/senses along with not needing to eat or breathe for long periods of time. Melanie, the main hybrid child, was more advanced than other hybrids as she was able to control her hunger to a point. When the first showing in the classroom, she is the only one to not go full on hungry. She was able to understand what was coming when she was hungry, to help warn the people she cared about. She also figured out the primative hybrids heirachy, she was able to take control of the group.

The vaccine would have protected humans against the fungus, it would not have cured anyone. The Doctor was hell bent on trying to save people... but much like the Schroedinger's Cat riddle she gave to Melanie, are humans alive or dead, won't know until you open the box by releasing the spores. Melanie made the decision to make the inevitable happen by setting fire to the tower dooming humans but allowing the Hybrids to move forward. The Doctor long felt the hybrids were symbotic life forms where the host is dead and the fungus controlled them. But realized that it was the human host in control and the fungus helping them.

Which leads to the reversal of fotunes for the teacher, she cared for the hybrids, had the others stayed in the vehicle, they too would have been alive, but they were dumb. Now the teacher lives in captivity while the hybrids roam free and must care for her.
Tyler
Owner

Re: The Girl With All the Gifts

Postby Tyler » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks for the background. I liked this movie at the time, but after talking with you I realized I forgot almost everything about it.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:17 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Thanks for the background. I liked this movie at the time, but after talking with you I realized I forgot almost everything about it.

Since you don't remember... did it really happen?

I think that is a rule, since you don't remember, you have to watch it again.

Return to “Movies”