Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Girl With All the Gifts

Discuss your favorite movies
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:16 am

This is the zombie movie we deserved for Zombie month, even though Wyrmwood is badass too.

Essentially, the movie starts out with a bunch of children in a cell. They get dragged into a room, tied to a wheel-chair into a classroom. The teachers and soldiers all over fear them, and they are unusually intelligent and intuitive.

The children are essentially zombie/human hybrids. They were born while the mother was infected, and so they gained human-like traits and superior intelligence. They want to use these children to manufacture a cure.

Well, shit goes awry, and the facility they are in, gets majorly hosed. They flee, stuff happens, people die.

The zombies in here are cool. They go into super hibernation and will only activate on smelling an animal. They use this gel shit to stop their scent, but the zombies are still activated by noise. The children hybrids are not bothered by the zombies.

Anyway, plot plot plot, action scene, plot plot, and then there is the end. The ending is fitting and well done. It is very "I am Legend". (The Book, not that shitty ass movie).

Acting all around is great, cinematography is good, and its a new-ish take on zombies.

All around 8/10 for a zombie movie not making me hate the genre, and I actually enjoyed it.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:24 am

I would watch that.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:35 am

Glad you watched it after my recommendation (even though I haven't seen it). I'll be sure to check it out sooner than later.

Kinda weird that a zombie hybrid would be super smart...because zombies are the dumb.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:44 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Glad you watched it after my recommendation (even though I haven't seen it). I'll be sure to check it out sooner than later.

Kinda weird that a zombie hybrid would be super smart...because zombies are the dumb.

The infection is spread by a fungus. Most zombies are dum dums. But the fungus in the babies merged with the brain instead of destroying it.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:55 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post But the fungus in the babies merged with the brain instead of destroying it.

And everyone knows that fungi are the smartest living things on the planet.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:14 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post But the fungus in the babies merged with the brain instead of destroying it.

And everyone knows that fungi are the smartest living things on the planet.

Plus, the main character was such a fun-gi. HAHA. I'm done.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:16 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Plus, the main character was such a fun-gi. HAHA. I'm done.

cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:23 pm

Tyler wrote:
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Plus, the main character was such a fun-gi. HAHA. I'm done.

Technically a whole strain of fungi, so not just one
wags83

Postby wags83 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:45 pm

Watched this tonight. I enjoyed it, it was a pretty original take on the zombie genre. Sucky ending for that teacher lady, though.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:47 pm

wags83 wrote:Watched this tonight. I enjoyed it, it was a pretty original take on the zombie genre. Sucky ending for that teacher lady, though.

That teacher got shafted.
Tyler
Owner

Re: The Girl With All the Gifts

Postby Tyler » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:16 pm

I'm watching now. The whole setup is so strange. I was trying too figure it out and then boom, all the kids are dormant zombies. That was spooky when they all set each other into a frenzy.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:37 pm

Observation. People park much farther away from things than they should. Guy parks his truck 50 yards away from the fence he unlocked and gets not running back. The guys park the truck with zombie girl on top away from the water.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:46 pm

Tyler wrote:Observation. People park much farther away from things than they should. Guy parks his truck 50 yards away from the fence he unlocked and gets not running back. The guys park the truck with zombie girl on top away from the water.

I did notice that lol. The dude with the gate was especially noticable
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:50 pm

I thought we were going to see a zombie baby! Why was the Dr so determined on seeing under that blanket? Oh wait... She was gathering data. Just explained it.

Big question. Why did the let the base get so overrun before setting off the alarm? They should have had all guns on deck long before that point.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:53 pm

I'm going to disagree with Wilkins. I don't think the kids were super intelligent. I didn't get any impression that the fungi altered their intelligence. I think the main girl is above average for her age, but it wasn't anything to do with the infection.

Help me understand the language (I must have missed something during the final talk with girl and doctor). The girl knew the world was going to be screwed so she set off the giant plant to just get it over with? She spared the teacher because she likes her? Why didn't the kid agree to be made into the cure? She thought it was too late for that?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:03 pm

Tyler wrote:I'm going to disagree with Wilkins. I don't think the kids were super intelligent. I didn't get any impression that the fungi altered their intelligence. I think the main girl is above average for her age, but it wasn't anything to do with the infection.

Help me understand the language (I must have missed something during the final talk with girl and doctor). The girl knew the world was going to be screwed so she set off the giant plant to just get it over with? She spared the teacher because she likes her? Why didn't the kid agree to be made into the cure? She thought it was too late for that?

The ones being taught had a much higher capacity to learn. They were discussing very advanced topics, mainly regarding logic.

The girl in the end, realized that the zombie kids could also be smart and wasn't willing to sacrifice her whole species to save a different species that tried to kill her and torture her multiple times.

The teacher was always empathetic to the children, so instead of doing, she chose to teach and jumpstart their new civilization
wags83

Postby wags83 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:56 pm

Glenn Close was always saying that they aren't really children and they're not living things as a way of justifying their deaths for the cure. When she finally admitted that they were living things, the little girl decided that the world might as well be overrun with zombie kids instead of humans. Except her teacher who is doomed to live a nightmarish existence until the sweet release of death.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:26 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post The ones being taught had a much higher capacity to learn. They were discussing very advanced topics, mainly regarding logic.

It seemed to me that the lead girl was the only one doing the logic puzzles, not the entire class. This doesn't really matter to the story, I just don't think the virus made the kids smarter. I think the wheelchair kids were forced to receive a higher education compared to most and they seemed smarter...like the London kids who were savages.

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post The girl in the end, realized that the zombie kids could also be smart and wasn't willing to sacrifice her whole species to save a different species that tried to kill her and torture her multiple times.

Maybe I was confused about the "cure" Glenn Close was going after. Was it to revert the hybrids back into humans, turn the full zombies back to humans, or prevent zombie bites from infecting humans?
At first I thought releasing the spores would turn all current humans into the hybrid and that made sense. If the whole world was like that it would work out okay, but the spores turned humans into full on zombies. Wouldn't a cure have been better?

Separately, do the zombies not go after the hybrids? At times it seemed like the girl was threatened, but other times she wasn't.

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Except her teacher who is doomed to live a nightmarish existence until the sweet release of death.

Good thing she loves to teach
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:34 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post The ones being taught had a much higher capacity to learn. They were discussing very advanced topics, mainly regarding logic.

It seemed to me that the lead girl was the only one doing the logic puzzles, not the entire class. This doesn't really matter to the story, I just don't think the virus made the kids smarter. I think the wheelchair kids were forced to receive a higher education compared to most and they seemed smarter...like the London kids who were savages.

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post The girl in the end, realized that the zombie kids could also be smart and wasn't willing to sacrifice her whole species to save a different species that tried to kill her and torture her multiple times.

Maybe I was confused about the "cure" Glenn Close was going after. Was it to revert the hybrids back into humans, turn the full zombies back to humans, or prevent zombie bites from infecting humans?
At first I thought releasing the spores would turn all current humans into the hybrid and that made sense. If the whole world was like that it would work out okay, but the spores turned humans into full on zombies. Wouldn't a cure have been better?

Separately, do the zombies not go after the hybrids? At times it seemed like the girl was threatened, but other times she wasn't.

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Except her teacher who is doomed to live a nightmarish existence until the sweet release of death.

Good thing she loves to teach

I think it was a vaccine. It wouldn't 'cure' anybody, so much as stop them from existing in the future. Humans seemed pretty much doomed, so the cure might be too little, too late anyway. Really, the spores wouldn't have too much of an effect on anything, except that she was pretty pissed and wanted to be on top. She's alpha bitch now.

Zombies don't go after hybrids, they were never in any danger.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:02 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I think it was a vaccine. It wouldn't 'cure' anybody, so much as stop them from existing in the future. Humans seemed pretty much doomed, so the cure might be too little, too late anyway.

I wonder how the world looked outside of London/UK? It seemed like UK was pretty screwed, but Dr. Glenn said this giant plant would doom the world. Were there parts of the world in better shape? Maybe a vaccine could have saved part of the world, assuming Dr. Glenn was right and could somehow get it distributed.

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Zombies don't go after hybrids, they were never in any danger.

Hmm...I guess if I was a selfish zombie kid hybrid I would rather have the world filled with annoying zombies than humans that treat me like crap.

Return to “Movies”