Tyler
Owner

Re: Star Wars - Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

Postby Tyler » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:44 pm

That in Ashton?
purple_hayes

Star Wars - Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:50 am

Watson2000 wrote:Source of the post I consider myself a big fanboy. I was able to walk up Thursday night and buy a ticket for the 7 o'clock show at Southridge theater. I scheduled Friday off so I could see it again. Here is my review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDGlN6mluGA

I didn't see it again Friday...

I really liked this movie. I enjoyed the fact it wasn't similar to any of the other movies. It had some aspects but it was pretty incredible. All hope is lost... the Resistance is failing... their last glint of hope is Luke Skywalker... who doesn't want to be a Jedi anymore, so he put himself into exile. The movie's constant plodding feels just like the First Order bearing down on the Resistance... you feel as though all hope is leaving the Galaxy. I love that Rian Johnson stepped away from typical Star Wars drama to create his own while staying true to the characters. There are a few items that could have been left out... the odd/forced humor... and others that I won't spoil.

But I felt like a kid again watching this... rooting for Rey and the Resistance. George Lucas is not longer part of the Star Wars saga... you have to know that going in. This is not your Father's Star Wars anymore. Its moved on and has progressed in to a much more expansive universe.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:12 am

After reflecting on the movie a bit more, I thought of some other things that bothered me a bit. I'll put it in spoiler blinders for those who haven't seen it.
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

On the topic of weird attempts at humor...one that actually worked for me was when Chewy was roasting/eating one of the porgs and the other live porgs were looking up at him with the saddest eyes. I lol'ed. Speaking of porgs, they are definitely going to be an invasive species wherever the Millenium Falcon lands. They've already completely taken over and started nesting in the ship. It's going to be a pretty extreme ecological problem for some poor, unsuspecting planet.
Also,
► Show Spoiler
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:36 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post
► Show Spoiler

Maybe I read too much into this situation but
► Show Spoiler
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:07 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post
► Show Spoiler

Maybe I read too much into this situation but
► Show Spoiler

I did think about that too, and I guess it's just as likely. To me, it just seemed like too dire of a circumstance for Maz to be all cryptic. Just tell them who to find and how to find them!
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:08 am

I forgot to mention something
► Show Spoiler
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:19 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post After reflecting on the movie a bit more, I thought of some other things that bothered me a bit. I'll put it in spoiler blinders for those who haven't seen it.
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

On the topic of weird attempts at humor...one that actually worked for me was when Chewy was roasting/eating one of the porgs and the other live porgs were looking up at him with the saddest eyes. I lol'ed. Speaking of porgs, they are definitely going to be an invasive species wherever the Millenium Falcon lands. They've already completely taken over and started nesting in the ship. It's going to be a pretty extreme ecological problem for some poor, unsuspecting planet.
Also,
► Show Spoiler

i really laughed at the porgs! I noticed those comments st the end too.. be interesting how they play off of that
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:26 pm

We saw it yesterday. I had to sleep on it a bit, but I did like the movie. The plot really didn't feel totally put together though. I liked the Luke/Ben battle, even though I didn't need or want it. The last half hour felt like they started a new movie the abruptly ended it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Wallinguana

Postby Wallinguana » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:58 pm

I liked it more the second time I saw it. Still not a fan of Benicio though.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:22 pm

Wallinguana wrote:I liked it more the second time I saw it. Still not a fan of Benicio though.
Yeah that was not good

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:18 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post when Luke confronted Kylo Ren but it turned out he was a force ghost-like thing during the whole fight. I hope we see Luke as a force ghost in the next movie now that he is really dead

I noticed he wasn't leaving the red foot prints so I knew he had to be a ghost thing, but how did their light swords clash?

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Supreme Leader Snoke. He's built up to be this larger than life, all powerful super villain throughout TFA and much of TLJ. Then he's fairly easily killed. We don't learn really anything more about him. I would guess we learn more about his origin in the next movie, but maybe not because it doesn't really matter at this point.

I was going to ask if we ever saw him in 7 other than the holographic head and if I should know more about him. Do we know where he came from or how he got so ugly? I agree he was killed rather easily and we all saw it coming. It was cool that Kylo killed him just so he could take over though.

The code breaker subplot was a waste of 45 minutes. None of it matter in the end. I like Danny's theory because it doesn't rely on so many coincidences, but I would have to watch again to see if that tracks. Otherwise I was going to complain just like Wags with TWO master code breakers being in the same city and they just happened upon one they didn't know about.

I like the Porgs and I feel like a sucker for it. Chewy had already killed the one, wasn't it a bigger waste not to eat it?

Opening of the movie and the fire fight on the ice planet with the red dust were the highlights of the movie. I thought the bombers trying to bomb the ship was very nerve-racking and the red dust was just so pretty!

Random complaint. Cloaking out of nowhere and not working out of nowhere. Why wouldn't they always have cloaking on? And cloaking doesn't work when they look hard enough? None of that made sense to me.

I too was shipping Finn and Rey. I thought it was odd that Finn has a new girl and even crazier that Poe and Rey didn't meet in the last movie at all.

At the end of the movie did the kid use the force to move the broom?!

I'm not going to read anything online, but I will probably listen to at least 3 podcasts about it. It seems like the bigger Star Wars fan you are the least you liked the movie, why? Why was Hamill mad about the role of Skywalker?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:51 pm

Thought of 2 other things and counter-points to my own thoughts.

It was so cool when lady from Jurassic Park used the Resistant ship as a missile by putting it into super speed. Such a cool effect when the sound dropped out and it was in slow-mo.
Counter-point: Why don't people constantly do this? Why didn't they do this with the support ships there were going to blow up regardless? Are we to believe this was the first time ever that someone had this idea?

It was so dumb when Leia used the force when she was frozen in deep space and got back into the ship. I honestly thought they were going to kill her off.
Counter-point: Of course Leia has the force in her, her brother in Luke and we know she passed it to her son. Maybe it was a little silly though since we have never seen her use it before.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:02 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post At the end of the movie did the kid use the force to move the broom?!

I thought it looked like that too, but it was such a quick moment. If we both noticed it, I'm guessing it was.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:07 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post At the end of the movie did the kid use the force to move the broom?!

I thought it looked like that too, but it was such a quick moment. If we both noticed it, I'm guessing it was.

Yes it to show the force is a "living" being and potentially anyone can use it. Also it's like an Anakin 2.0. Slave boy who is probably an expert alien space horse racer.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:52 am

I started listening to Kevin Smith's podcast on it today and he's keeping a list of "f you JJ" things. Basically anytime Rian Johnson did something in Last Jedi that JJ set up in Force Awakens.

So far:
-blowing up the ship at the start of the movie. That was a main location in Force Awakens (I guess?)
-Kylo instantly throwing away his helmet
-Luke throwing the laser sword over his shoulder, since Force ended with him holding it
-Snoke being killed before he could be explained.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I started listening to Kevin Smith's podcast on it today and he's keeping a list of "f you JJ" things. Basically anytime Rian Johnson did something in Last Jedi that JJ set up in Force Awakens.

So far:
-blowing up the ship at the start of the movie. That was a main location in Force Awakens (I guess?)
-Luke throwing the laser sword over his shoulder, since Force ended with him holding it

Another one is killing of Captain Phasma
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:16 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post I started listening to Kevin Smith's podcast on it today and he's keeping a list of "f you JJ" things. Basically anytime Rian Johnson did something in Last Jedi that JJ set up in Force Awakens.

So far:

Haha I forgot I was gonna say something about Phasma. It seemed like such a waste to not just kill her off at the end of TFA. Bringing her back for the one scene where she dies wasn't worth it.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:23 am

Waste of such a good actress too. You only get to see her eye.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:50 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post

So far:

Don't forget about the worthless character of Finn who was given time with Rose, a fake character, then shot across the universe on a needless mission.

Return to “Movies”