Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Pontypool (2008)

Discuss your favorite movies
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Pontypool (2008)

Postby Blue Jackets » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:37 am

This is on Netflix. Don't read anything about it, don't watch a trailer, try to avoid the genre even. Watch it and report back.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Pontypool (2008)

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:01 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post This is on Netflix. Don't read anything about it, don't watch a trailer, try to avoid the genre even. Watch it and report back.

I've seen this and its amazing.
► Show Spoiler

Let me know if you want to know more.

Tyler Edit: added spoiler tags
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Pontypool (2008)

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:44 am

I watched it too.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Pontypool (2008)

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:03 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post
Tyler Edit: added spoiler tags

I didn't even spoil anything!
Tyler
Owner

Pontypool (2008)

Postby Tyler » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:49 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I didn't even spoil anything!

I knew more about the movie after reading your post than I did before
wags83

Pontypool (2008)

Postby wags83 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:07 pm

I watched it a year or so ago. I thought it was very well done.
Tyler
Owner

Pontypool (2008)

Postby Tyler » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:18 pm

So everyone has seen this movie expect for BJ and me
Tyler
Owner

Re: Pontypool (2008)

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Reminder for myself to watch this. Wilkins huge thread made me think of it because one of them was kind of titled this.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Pontypool (2008)

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:40 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Reminder for myself to watch this. Wilkins huge thread made me think of it because one of them was kind of titled this.

I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooveeeee this movie. Most of it is just talking, so its not like scary or anything, its just very well scripted and believable dialogue.
wags83

Pontypool (2008)

Postby wags83 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:16 pm

I watched this a while back. I'm not usually into this type of movie, but I remember thinking it was really well done.
Edit: Just scrolled up and see that I posted almost this same comment a year and a half ago.
Tyler
Owner

Pontypool (2008)

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:15 am

I watched this on my day off. Nothing says 4th of July like watching a movie alone in a nice cool basement while your family naps.

I really liked this movie. I capital L, Loved the first half, but the 2nd half brought the total down to just "really liked". The beginning was so unique and new. I loved the idea of 3 people reporting on all of these unusual events and slowly piecing things together without being able to see any of it. The horror and tension of Grant talking to Ken over the phone was extreme. Ken describing the events first hand gave me the willies.

The movie starting falling apart for me when the doctor randomly showed up. From my understanding the doctor didn't cause any of this. He was just a sketchy doctor that people were actually trying to peacefully protest, however, that became ground zero for the virus since it was a large number of people. When Dr. Exposition showed up it broke the illusion for me. It was still horrifying to watch the producer bash her head into the window, but all of the other things started becoming less interesting. Plus, it was kind of silly that a random family doctor (making an assumption here) would connect all of the dots so quickly on how the virus spread and worked (which I would still like someone to explain here for me). Grant's pseudo-science cure actually worked for me, as long as I didn't think about it. Even with the negativity in this part of my post, there was some stuff I really liked in the back half of the movie. Like when the doctor said "she doesn't know it yet, but she's hunting you". That was nice and creepy.

Stephen McHattie, AKA Grant Mazzy, deserves so much praise for this movie. I looked through his IMDB and recognized him from some stuff, but wow, he really impressed me in this. He did such a great job showing all the different emotions, especially since his performance was 70% just in that soundbooth.

If I was smarter I would try to make some comment about how this movie was trying to show us the media can brainwash us if we aren't careful, or that French-Canadians must have made this movie to prove their language is superior and isn't ruining the country.

My tv/movie podcast guys did a 90 minute episode on this movie, I will start listening to that next time I am in the car. I hope they talk about the obituary part. That confused me, those were all people that had just died that day, who called them in? No one would do that.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Pontypool (2008)

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:56 am

I do remember half one being superior, but i think it just elevated it so much for me, that I didnt even care.
Tyler
Owner

Pontypool (2008)

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:03 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I do remember half one being superior, but i think it just elevated it so much for me, that I didnt even care.

Absolutely. This movie is a must watch. Like I said. the 2 halves aren't at the same level, but I wouldn't call any of it bad.

Return to “Movies”